Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847234 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #825 on: 17 December, 2015, 01:10:47 am »
I done learned that the Nazis were extracting oil from shale in Estonia during WW2.
Oil was being extracted from shale in the late 19th century, though maybe not in Estonia.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #826 on: 17 December, 2015, 04:39:42 pm »
Wahoo! My preferred exercise logging software comes up with the announcement "your heart is about to explode" if my heart rate exceeds a certain level.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #827 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:30:56 pm »
Wahoo! My preferred exercise logging software comes up with the announcement "your heart is about to explode" if my heart rate exceeds a certain level.

How can you be sure it isn't?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #828 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »
That "the other Somerset Monument" and the ponds called Duchesses Pond, both in the grounds of Stoke Park, were moved to their present positions to make way for the M32.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #829 on: 25 December, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
Ben Goldacre (the Bad Science bloke) is the  daughter of seventies pop star Noosha Fox.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #830 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:04:34 am »
Ben Goldacre (the Bad Science bloke) is the  daughter of seventies pop star Noosha Fox.
It would be less surprising, but still interesting, to hear that Ben is Noosha's son.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #831 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
It would be less surprising, but still interesting, to hear that Ben is Noosha's son.
Ah. Really bad science, obvs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #832 on: 25 December, 2015, 11:43:44 am »
That Sir Richard Turnbull, penultimate BRITISH High Commissioner of Aden, told Denis Healey that the final relics of the BRITISH Empire would be the game of Association Football and the phrase or saying "Fuck Off!"

Needless to say, this has brightened up an otherwise rather dull morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #833 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:53:29 am »
A couple of days ago, in fact, I learned from my nephew, who was doing some work experience jaunt on Bloodhound which somehow included a visit to Downing Street, that there is a Tracey Emin in the hall of Number Ten. It's a neon sign that says More Passion. I'm not sure if it was a purchase by Cameron himself but they bought the original and found it was too big to fit in so they asked her to make a smaller one. They got More Passion and asked for less.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #834 on: 03 January, 2016, 10:21:45 am »
A bit like "Fun-Size" Mars Bars then.  What's fun about less chocolate?

Yesterday I learned that not only is Alison Steadman's character in Abigail's Party not Abigail but also that Abigail doesn't appear in it at all.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #835 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:04:55 am »
I done learned that the Nazis were extracting oil from shale in Estonia during WW2.
Oil was being extracted from shale in the late 19th century, though maybe not in Estonia.
In the UK. Midlothian and West Lothian and possibly other parts into the early years of the C20.  We used to have huuge pink shale bings*, which one was completely forbidden to play on *ahem*, but they've all gone in the last 20 or 30 years.

Google +"Paraffin Young" if you're bored.

*Slag heap.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #836 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:21:08 am »
In the UK. Midlothian and West Lothian and possibly other parts into the early years of the C20.  We used to have huuge pink shale bings*, which one was completely forbidden to play on *ahem*, but they've all gone in the last 20 or 30 years.

Gideon flogged them to the Godless Communist HordesTM Of Peking.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #837 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:30:08 pm »
we've been fracking on and offshore UK for donkeys years.  Most of the wandering public would be unaware of the oilfield onshore in the forest  just outside Bournemouth/Swanage and on Furzey Island in Poole Harbour, which has the longest extended reach well in the UK.

I have learned that the coefficient of friction of that red anti slip paint on cycle lanes is lower than I thought, particularly in the wet when unloading the rear of a disc-braked recumbent as you come in a bit to fast to a halt and sit up.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #838 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:33:17 pm »
Transplant corneas are very readily available in the USA but are in short supply in the UK.  Why is that? I asked my opthalmologist.  Without a second's hesitation, he replied, "Gunshot wounds". 
What, gunshot wounds are good for corneas?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #839 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »
Transplant corneas are very readily available in the USA but are in short supply in the UK.  Why is that? I asked my opthalmologist.  Without a second's hesitation, he replied, "Gunshot wounds". 

They're good for killing healthy young people in a way that leaves most of the spare parts intact.

ElyDave

« Reply #840 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »

They're good for killing healthy young people in a way that leaves most of the spare parts intact.

Everything of mine is up for grabs when I no longer want it.  Not sure the pancreas will have any takers though.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #841 on: 03 January, 2016, 02:37:58 pm »
we've been fracking on and offshore UK for donkeys years.  Most of the wandering public would be unaware of the oilfield onshore in the forest  just outside Bournemouth/Swanage and on Furzey Island in Poole Harbour, which has the longest extended reach well in the UK.

The company I used to work for thirty years ago did a bunch of consultancy work on the Wych Farm oil wossname down that way.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #842 on: 03 January, 2016, 03:58:38 pm »

Everything of mine is up for grabs when I no longer want it.  Not sure the pancreas will have any takers though.
Ditto.  But I don't think anything will be suitable for donation because steroids.
Getting there...

ElyDave

« Reply #843 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »

The company I used to work for thirty years ago did a bunch of consultancy work on the Wych Farm oil wossname down that way.

That's the one, Ive done a bit down there myself as a consultant, looking at how well they manage their risks from an environmental management and performance standpoint.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #844 on: 08 January, 2016, 03:03:23 pm »
Two hardbacked diaries and a ball of babybel wax makes a barely adequate game of office tennis.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #845 on: 08 January, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
That Tunnock's Tea Cakes are being boycotted by some Scottish Nationalists.

More for me then  :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #846 on: 08 January, 2016, 11:49:36 pm »
Oi! there's a queue here . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #847 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:43:48 pm »
That the Uriah Heep song July Morning sparked a protest movement in Bulgaria which became a festival tradition. People go to the beach, party and watch the sun rise on 1st July, while listening to vaguely obscure 1970s British rock.

https://youtu.be/l685JEwFPb4

Edit: "Vaguely obscure 1970s rock". I've never knowingly listened to Uriah Heep before learning this factoid but now, thanks to the wonders of electrons, I discover I'm actually familiar with a few of their tracks. Possibly they were in the ether when I was very small indeed, far more likely they were sufficiently non-obscure to last well into the next decade. They seem to have a heavy-folk tinge, a bit like Led Zep; quite appropriate for what seems, from the description I've read, to be a rather post-hippy freedom-comes-from-the-West* morphing into disillusionment-and-hedonism beach party thingy.

*Shame they're facing the rising sun!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #848 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:50:22 pm »
Two hardbacked diaries and a ball of babybel wax makes a barely adequate game of office tennis.

We once unscrewed the knobs off a ballaceous coat stand and another off the top of a kettle then played pétanque up & down the office corridor.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #849 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:49:10 pm »
Only yesterday I was redigitising my cassette copy of "The Best Of Uriah Heep".  Music to climb ladders to ;D