Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847449 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1525 on: 17 November, 2016, 11:05:33 am »
That having the cracked fireback in our fireplace replaced will mean the installer confirming we have a CO alarm, as it is now required by law. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1526 on: 17 November, 2016, 11:30:08 pm »
Fiver on Amazon. I'm sure you'll cope ...

In truth, we should probably acquire one.

fuzzy

« Reply #1527 on: 18 November, 2016, 02:01:33 pm »
That when repairing a puncture or replacing a tyre in the cold, inflating to max pressure should be avoided if the storage space for the bike at work is a warm room.

I have a brace of CHP engineers in my plant room who nearly had a heart attack :-[

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1528 on: 18 November, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
Is that some sort of belated exchange program with the California Highway Patrol?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1529 on: 18 November, 2016, 07:03:59 pm »
Combined Heat and Power, so basically a boiler that is producing steam for electrisity and using the low grade heat from the back end to heat the school.

I wouldn't have thought the temp difference was more than 30 deg K or about 11% and I wouldn't have thought a 10psi increase would cause a rim failure.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1530 on: 18 November, 2016, 07:12:15 pm »
Combined Heat and Power, so basically a boiler that is producing steam for electrisity and using the low grade heat from the back end to heat the school.

Bonus points for large installations with a conspicuous lack of black start capability...

I wouldn't have thought the temp difference was more than 30 deg K or about 11% and I wouldn't have thought a 10psi increase would cause a rim failure.

Enough to tip it over the edge if something's about to go kaboom anyway, thobut.

« Reply #1531 on: 18 November, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »
If the rim is scored (like from a sharp stone embedded in the brake pad) it will fail pretty easily. Also, cheap rims that don't have a hook to hold the tire bead in place will fail at about the tire's  recommended maximum pressure. The flange of the rim flexes just enough to let the tire bead slide off the rim and the tube blows.

« Reply #1532 on: 18 November, 2016, 07:32:56 pm »
The gritty stuff in Swarfega Orange hand cleaner is cornmeal not polymer microbeads.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1533 on: 18 November, 2016, 09:27:31 pm »
I can track-stand.

But I put my skill in the same category as moms lifting cars off of trapped children - something that only happens in the heat of the moment and cannot be repeated on demand.

After the peds saw sense and cleared the path, I almost fell over when I realised what I was doing.  Thankfully forward motion won out over sideways.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1534 on: 19 November, 2016, 12:55:35 pm »
That Val McDermid based the character of Jacko Vance on Jimmy Savile, and was surprised that so few people seemed to notice.

fuzzy

« Reply #1535 on: 19 November, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
Our CHP is a Mercedes V8 marine diesel converted to run on natural gas. The unit was having a topped rebuild (cylinder heads off, pistons and liners out etc). Pistons are about 6" diameter.

The rim was fine. I think I may have been a bit careless in fully seating the bead of the tyre but it remained in place for an 8 mile commute.......

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1536 on: 19 November, 2016, 06:20:33 pm »
We have little ones with Sachs motorcycle engines in them (Senertec), at 3 of our sheltered blocks.  At the last place, we had a Wartsila ship engine powered one, that is bigger than my house.  Admittedly, that heated a bit more than one building!
Wombat

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1537 on: 20 November, 2016, 09:02:22 pm »
Today I learned that dolphins are jungle animals. Cool.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1538 on: 20 November, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »
It seems to me that most dinosaurs were actually burrowing creatures.

« Reply #1539 on: 21 November, 2016, 10:24:47 am »
That trying to shove a lithium 2032 into a 2025 orifice doesn't work, Doh!  :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1540 on: 21 November, 2016, 01:19:10 pm »
It will be 0.7mm too thick.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1541 on: 21 November, 2016, 04:54:08 pm »
That the US constitution still permits slavery, as part of punishment for crime.  The measure was included as an exemption to the general ban on slavery, so as to cover forced labour in prisons.

In the recent election, Colorado had a question on their ballot papers as to whether a similar exemption should be removed from the state constitution, but it was so confusingly worded that the majority would appear to have mistakenly voted to keep it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1542 on: 21 November, 2016, 07:19:53 pm »
When Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich, returned to Bavaria as an old man, having previously trotted off to USAnia as a young man, he was turfed out in short order, by royal decree, for not having done mandatory military service and dodging emigration paperwork.   Oh and he (it is alleged) ran a brothel in one of the gold rush areas in USAnia.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1543 on: 21 November, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »
More 'what I have relearned today' . . .

The reason I stopped using an electric razor <mumble> years ago. The skin around my collar line looks like someone took a belt sander to it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1544 on: 21 November, 2016, 10:59:37 pm »
That when repairing a puncture or replacing a tyre in the cold, inflating to max pressure should be avoided if the storage space for the bike at work is a warm room.

I have a brace of CHP engineers in my plant room who nearly had a heart attack :-[

That's the funniest thing I've read in days.

Go on, do another one ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1545 on: 22 November, 2016, 09:44:42 am »

The reason I stopped using an electric razor <mumble> years ago. The skin around my collar line looks like someone took a belt sander to it.

You are not the only one to suffer with that, despite the time savings that can be had from using an electric, I haven't used one for *mumblemumble* years
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1546 on: 22 November, 2016, 09:51:54 am »
45 years for me.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1547 on: 22 November, 2016, 11:35:06 am »
Never in my case, and I'm not convinced they save much if any time anyway.  Maybe I'm just a sloppy shaver.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1548 on: 22 November, 2016, 12:08:22 pm »
beard for me
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1549 on: 22 November, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »

You are not the only one to suffer with that, despite the time savings that can be had from using an electric, I haven't used one for *mumblemumble* years

But if and when you have grandchildren, it is a law that you have to pretend to shave them by rubbing the other side of the activated electric razor over their faces, causing squeals and giggles.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.