Author Topic: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes  (Read 6693 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Shower facilities enroute Long Audaxes
« Reply #50 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:12:06 pm »
I've taken to carrying compressed coin towels (https://amzn.to/2ZqohWP), They are about the same size as a mint, you add water, and they expand out into a wash cloth, ready to use. On a multiweek trip, I carry a couple of dozen in my frame bag, just by putting them in at the top when I have finished packing, and letting them fill all the spaces between everything else in there. By the end of the tour any that are left will have worked their way to the bottom corner. They weigh next to nothing, but are very effective.

That certainly sounds like it's worth having a few rattling around at the bottom of the touring luggage...  *clicky*

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:28:07 pm »
I'd never heard of these coin towels before. They do look neat. What happens to them after you've used them though? Can they be taken home, washed, reshrunk (how?) and reused? Or do they just disintegrate? Or... ??

As for wet wipes, I always have some in my tool kit to wipe oil and grease off my hands after dealing with a tyre, chain or whatever. But in practice they've often dried out before I get to use them... And in bulk, yes they're heavy. And really, they're just more litter. Still, they're a good way of wiping babies' bottoms.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:35:08 pm »
The only environmentally friendly thing is to do is acquire a hydraulic press to return to them to their original state. Chuck one in your Amazon basket.

« Reply #53 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:42:50 pm »
I've never heard of them either, but feel compelled to buy some!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:53:14 pm »
I'd never heard of these coin towels before. They do look neat. What happens to them after you've used them though? Can they be taken home, washed, reshrunk (how?) and reused? Or do they just disintegrate? Or... ??

I put them in the bin. They are made of Rayon, which is cellulose, and will break down in landfill, or be incinerated, depending on the local approach to waste.

In theory it's just a cloth, so you can always dry it out, rinse it, reuse it. But I just bin them.

As for wet wipes, I always have some in my tool kit to wipe oil and grease off my hands after dealing with a tyre, chain or whatever. But in practice they've often dried out before I get to use them... And in bulk, yes they're heavy. And really, they're just more litter. Still, they're a good way of wiping babies' bottoms.

I used to carry wet wipes, but swapped for these coin towels. Have cleaned my chain with them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »
If you hadn't linked to the item, I'd assume this was a wind-up - dehydrated towels???  :o

But yeah, they look useful. (I find wet-wipes stay moist if  you seal them up real well (e.g. in zip-loc bag of some kind). Terrible in green terms, but I use very few per year.)

So are these things like a wet-wipe, but without the cleaning ingredients (which I think vary between makes)?
(not a "towel" at all!)

And can I be first to suggest QG must have a very small train?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:26:35 pm »
It's all that's left of the Didcot coal train.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #57 on: 25 August, 2019, 08:31:37 pm »

Damn Autocarrot. Chain, not train.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/