Author Topic: LWL20  (Read 8606 times)

Re: LWL20
« Reply #25 on: 20 September, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »
Still doing caps next year?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 20 September, 2019, 01:33:49 pm »

Thanks for that... I thought saturday at midnight was tomorrow night, not tonight...  :o ...

This ambiguity is why it's often better to say 2359 Friday , or 0001 Saturday. The 1 minute difference is rarely noticed by people, and it avoids any confusion.

Same happens with 12am vs 12pm, Is this midnight, or Noon? 1159am or 1201pm etc...

It's useful to also state time zones and to remember the UK is currently in BST, *NOT* GMT/UTC*

J

*Differences between UTC and GMT left as a totally different pedantry topic for another time...
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 20 September, 2019, 01:48:30 pm »
12pm is always noon and 00:00 is always midnight.   Midnight is always the start of the day, not the end. Time will always be the local time of the country the event is taking place in.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2019, 01:50:19 pm »

Thanks for that... I thought saturday at midnight was tomorrow night, not tonight...  :o ...

This ambiguity is why it's often better to say 2359 Friday , or 0001 Saturday. The 1 minute difference is rarely noticed by people, and it avoids any confusion.

... which is why National Rail trains are timetabled at 2359 or 0001, but never 0000  :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2019, 01:56:19 pm »

... which is why National Rail trains are timetabled at 2359 or 0001, but never 0000  :thumbsup:

Nah, probably something todo with if zero (0000) is in the field then their computer systems will melt down.

Don't let Manotea near the red button at midnight...

S2L

« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2019, 02:23:10 pm »
12pm is always noon and 00:00 is always midnight.   Midnight is always the start of the day, not the end. Time will always be the local time of the country the event is taking place in.

You should start your event at 00.00 and see how many turn up the right day... just a for a laugh... 
Incidentally it would make working out finish times a lot easier :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:33:56 pm »
I found this interesting.

On the LWL website we have had 1,657 unique views so far this September but last September in the run up to PBP year we had 806 in the whole month. I can't believe it will sell out so quickly again but I have a feeling that interest in Audaxing has risen in the last year.

I wonder if this is reflected on the AUK site?

L

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:06:31 am »
Ticket in the bag, so excited!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:08:18 am »
It isn't obvious on the AUK site that you have to go to the event site to book  ::-) ::-)

Edit. It doesn't say at all

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:09:35 am »
Just got mine. Looking forward to it already!

Yes I would support adding a bit of info re booking procedure on the AUK web page.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:35:00 am »
Looks like I am in. A bit confused at first as refreshing the AUK page did not reveal an enter button but the process was painless once I went to the LWL website. I assume that my calendar will be updated in due course.

« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2019, 12:41:06 am »
In fairness, the entry process was painless and swift. Paypal would be a nice to have, as the fewer sites have my credit card the better, but you can't always get what you want. 

I have entered regardless of the consequences.
Come next May I shall look back at this page and laugh or weep as I consider the many miles I have covered in the interim or my good intention / sausage roll / red wine filled winter.

« Reply #37 on: 21 September, 2019, 04:53:49 am »
Entered. The website worked ok - obviously not too overloaded at the moment.  ;)

A bit confused at first as refreshing the AUK page did not reveal an enter button but the process was painless once I went to the LWL website. I assume that my calendar will be updated in due course.

Enter button on AUK website now links to the entry website.

From the LWL website - "The registration process is not integrated with the audax.uk website, so if you are an Audax UK member then you will need to add your entry to your personal event calendar on the audax.uk website yourself."

S2L

« Reply #38 on: 21 September, 2019, 06:30:45 am »
got in with no dramas  :)

« Reply #39 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:14:33 am »
I am in

« Reply #40 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:50:15 am »
Well that was surprising  - Paul texted me at 0025 last night saying he'd had 125 entries. I'd assumed it would be far slower this year although maybe theres an argument for opening the event just after the pubs shut when half the world is in "I've had a brilliant idea land..."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #41 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:31:16 am »
The event sold out at 9am this morning and the waiting list has kicked in. Experience indicates that most riders on the waiting list will get a ride so worth signing up. :)

Props to Liam for building such a fine event, his support kicking off the event and being such an all-round great guy!

Phil W

« Reply #42 on: 21 September, 2019, 10:39:32 am »
Well that was surprising  - Paul texted me at 0025 last night saying he'd had 125 entries.

I was one of those entries just after midnight.  I'm running three of my events today and knew I wouldn't have time to try and get a space in the morning till now, and will be busy again from after lunch.  In fact I was wearing a LWL cap this morning and we were talking about LWL. So one of the entries just before 7am this morning was one of my entrants on their phone at the start line of the 200.

This was my first 400, as Severn Across in 2013. So it will be interesting to see how it has grown and changed.

S2L

« Reply #43 on: 21 September, 2019, 04:30:49 pm »
Obviously this gives priority to young folks who stay up late partying and are on the ball when it comes to web things so to speak...

I wonder if the older AUK members, used to a different pace, when it comes to signing up for an event get a chance at all...

That said, there are other calendar 400 on the same day

« Reply #44 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
Obviously this gives priority to young folks who stay up late partying and are on the ball when it comes to web things so to speak...

I wonder if the older AUK members, used to a different pace, when it comes to signing up for an event get a chance at all...

It sounds as if there were still places at 0859. Are you one of those old people who sleep all morning as well as go to bed before midnight?

Perhaps you should join the waiting list - when I ran it last year I offered a ride to everyone on the list eventually.

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:18:23 pm »
If you are a night owl you'd still be up at midnight.  If you are a lark you'd be getting up around 4am to 5am. Can't understand how it favours any particular group.

« Reply #46 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:49:55 pm »
I thought about entering, as it’s localish, and I haven’t done this pampered control version, but I’m undecided on my goals for next year. It I know I need to do a 400 somewhere to keep the yearly SR going.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

S2L

« Reply #47 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:56:10 pm »

It sounds as if there were still places at 0859. Are you one of those old people who sleep all morning as well as go to bed before midnight?

Perhaps you should join the waiting list - when I ran it last year I offered a ride to everyone on the list eventually.

I did get a place... selling out in hours reminds me of the golden days of the Fred Whitton when they had to introduce the ballot to make it fair, otherwise it was a case of who managed to get on the site and who didn't

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
If you are a night owl you'd still be up at midnight.  If you are a lark you'd be getting up around 4am to 5am. Can't understand how it favours any particular group.
That's just with the hindsight that it was popular ... but not quite popular enough to sell-out by 5am. If demand had been higher, those awake (and with a decent web connection) at midnight would clearly be advantaged. And of course anyone who was sick, or on shift, etc etc might be out of luck too.

Ballots are a much better system, but of course they are more work for an organiser.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:00:27 pm »
Chapeau team LWL.

Hopefully everyone who wants to ride will get a place eventually.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!