Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462565 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20375 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Friday legs.

[checks calendar]

Oh bugger.  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20376 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:09:35 pm »
Friday legs.

[checks calendar]

Oh bugger.  :(
I'd post my commute, but you've summed it up.

Though I had a driver pull out whilst looking into the backseat of her car...

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20377 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:25:17 am »
The "proper" cyclist I caught this morning

Expensive lightweight bike - check
Plastic lid - check
Racing jersey - check
Retina-searing yellow cycling-branded cover on backpack - check
Lycra shorts - check
Natty clip-on cycling shoes - check
Looking over his shoulder before pulling out round potholes - er, no :-\
Ditto when pulling out around parked cars - er, no ::-)
Ditto when turning right onto Rectory Road (without signalling, natch) - again, no :facepalm:

He was most surprised/put out when an ol' boy in polo shirt, cargo shorts and battered old trainers, came breezing past him on a folder* ;D

*after doing a quick shoulder-check to see if it was safe to pull out around him.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20378 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:16:58 pm »
I think you should deduct several 'proper cyclist' points for the use of a backpack.  They're practically a warning sign when combined with that sort of gear.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20379 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:04:33 pm »
I had to brake quite hard coming down the A595 on my way in this morning as I got pulled out on - by a Police van! :facepalm:

The ride home was damp and extended by having to go back and actually lock the office doors up, but it was actually quite nice to roll along in the rain without any hay fever symptoms :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #20380 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:47:05 am »
Last nights commute took a little longer than planned.

Lovely tailwind and sunshine for a cruise through Stretford meadows this morning.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20381 on: 21 June, 2018, 01:19:30 pm »
Yesterday... Horrible traffic around Forest Gate due to people being twats, probably because they were inconvenienced by a death in Stratford.  Later, two scrotes on a motorbike heading up CS3 Lower Thames St -. Byward St, followed by an unmarked police car with lights and sirens.  Then a junction closed by the fire brigade.  That all excludes the usual careless drivers and clueless peds.  I was happy to finally arrive at my destination unscathed.  Return trip was only marginally better.

But there were some high-points.  Spotted two cyclo-tourists: one near Forest Gate and another in Hyde Park.  Also, I was the 6,000th cyclist to pass the counter on the E-W cycle superhighway yesterday.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20382 on: 21 June, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »
Simple ride in.

Lovely ride home, sun shining - mostly clear through the lights. Had a chance to chat with a colleague.

Got doored. (Nothing broke but my pride)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20383 on: 21 June, 2018, 06:20:57 pm »
Ouch! How's the bike? Glad you're not too hurt :)

Well I now know it wasn't the chain causing my singlespeed to creak under load. Nice new chain, still creak, creak, creak, creak, ...

Shame really as the sun's out and even with the wind it's quite warm.

« Reply #20384 on: 21 June, 2018, 06:43:39 pm »

Well I now know it wasn't the chain causing my singlespeed to creak under load. Nice new chain, still creak, creak, creak, creak, ...

You're not about to snap another frame are you ?   :hand:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20385 on: 21 June, 2018, 07:05:46 pm »

You're not about to snap another frame are you ?   :hand:

I hope not!

I've cleaned the frame up and given it a rather thorough inspection - no cracks that I can find.  I've also had the chainring off, cleaned the sliding dropouts and freewheel, re-tightened the bit you can remove to fit a belt drive and tried fixed on a different wheel.

It could be the BB or the pedals, but I'm starting to believe it's the chainring which I did notice was starting to look a bit hooked when I was cleaning it.

Oh, and this is a 2012 Trek District frame, not an 80s steel job

« Reply #20386 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »
Had to wait for a farmer to retrieve his escaped cows whilst riding up the TPT; the bit that runs along the M1 between Meadowhell and Ecclesfield.

Then got close passed by a police car on the A61 coming down from Grenoside, I filtered passed him at the next set of lights of course. I felt like saying something but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

« Reply #20387 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »

Bikes fine!

I was coming to a stop, so I got lucky really :)

I tend to blame creaks on the BB

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20388 on: 22 June, 2018, 05:56:56 am »
Quote from: mcshroom
Seatpost?

Utterly wiped out after yesterday's ride home. This is distressing because it's only 15 miles and although there was a bit of a headwind it wasn't that much of a headwind.  I really don't rate this getting old at all.  Warm but the cool breeze kept it very pleasant.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #20389 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:47:18 am »
I think you should deduct several 'proper cyclist' points for the use of a backpack.  They're practically a warning sign when combined with that sort of gear.

Ordinarily Kim, I would agree with you, but my whizzy Topeak pump is too long to fit in one of m'shirt pockets PLUS the need to have glasses with me, and other kit means it goes into a Camelbak bag. Bit of a pain having the damn thing with me, but it's a case of 'needs must'. Having said that, just spotted this (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mini-dx-master-blaster-pump-with-gauge/) on Wiggle – reduced. Mind you, I'd still rather not fork out £15 for yet another pump! So if you see me on a road bike – I'll have a Camelbak on!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20390 on: 22 June, 2018, 03:29:56 pm »
Speaking as a fully paid up member of The League of Backpack Wearing Cyclists and one that has invested in the optional retina-searing cover you will prise my backpack off my cold dead shoulders before I go back to panniers. :)

On short commutes, say 15 miles to (at a pinch) 20, I've found them a lot easier to manage than panniers; significantly less faffage, especially at the work end of the commute.   However I would go back to panniers if I ever ended up back on a long commute because of neck / shoulder pain.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #20391 on: 22 June, 2018, 03:36:02 pm »
Personally I find a backpack too hot and sweaty, panniers and/or a saddlebag ever time. Equally pumps belong on the frame, either a peg under the top tube or better yet on a seat stay.   :P

yes that is my cape strapped in a roll on my saddlebag and I will leave quietly.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20392 on: 22 June, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »

Bikes fine!

I was coming to a stop, so I got lucky really :)

That's lucky. Hopefully nothing's stiffened up overnight and you still feel ok :)
I tend to blame creaks on the BB

You were correct. The BB was only finger tight on the drive side. I've re-greased and replaced rather tighter - it's almost silent now!

« Reply #20393 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
Been working from home for the last few months, and had to venture into Glasgow today to drop car off for MoT.   In the city it was fine, but on the faster suburban roads it was shit.

I've been going out on some country roads before work just 10 km or so to wake up, and the country roads are no problem.  Today was a bit of a rude awakening as to the shitness of drivers again.

« Reply #20394 on: 26 June, 2018, 11:55:16 am »
Like being blasted with a hairdryer on hot for an hour at the moment, very nearly burnt on the way home last night.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20395 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:08:04 pm »
Again reminded how dodgy West London drivers behave towards cyclists, compared to the French.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20396 on: 28 June, 2018, 07:48:23 am »
Guy on roadbike in full kit felt that it was necessary to slightly jump the red light (and push in front of 3 other cyclist), only to fumble clipping in. Needless to say we all swarmed past him and boxed him in for a bit.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20397 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:51:33 am »
Can anyone tell me where the motorised morons of mid-Beds have gone? It's been quite a while now and the commute is becoming rather dull.

If it wasn't for the occasional "proper" cyclist I'd be totally bored with the whole thing.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #20398 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:23:33 am »
Last one for a fortnight  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20399 on: 29 June, 2018, 10:54:27 am »
Can anyone tell me where the motorised morons of mid-Beds have gone? It's been quite a while now and the commute is becoming rather dull.

If it wasn't for the occasional "proper" cyclist I'd be totally bored with the whole thing.

At home / in the pubbe, watching sportsball?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime