Author Topic: Today I am Listening To...  (Read 774264 times)

ktcita

Re: Today I am Listening To...
« Reply #1375 on: 09 September, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »
Fat Freddy's Drop... a fabulous gig tonight at the Troxy

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1376 on: 10 September, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »
Monteverdi, proms, now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1377 on: 10 September, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1378 on: 11 September, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
Van Morrison.  8)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1379 on: 11 September, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »
David Bowie ~ The Man Who Sold the World

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1380 on: 11 September, 2010, 04:26:05 pm »
Grinderman ~ 2   :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #1381 on: 11 September, 2010, 04:27:23 pm »

LindaG

« Reply #1382 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »
Ockeghem - Missa Mi-Mi   :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1383 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »
The Animals : The Most of...

Chris S

« Reply #1384 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »
Capture - Afro Celt Sound System  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1385 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »
Various Rolling Stones tracks on YouTube.One I've not heard before by them....
The Harlem Shuffle
Rock meets Soul with Blues :thumbsup:

« Reply #1386 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »
Wilco, Wolf Parade, The Low Anthem, the Wilderness of Manitoba, Lantern and the Lake, Monotonix, The Mountain Goats, The Felice Brothers...

PaulF

« Reply #1387 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:58:28 am »
Wilco, Wolf Parade, The Low Anthem, the Wilderness of Manitoba, Lantern and the Lake, Monotonix, The Mountain Goats, The Felice Brothers...

I'm familiar with Wilco and The Low Anthem, are any of the others in a similar vein? Any album recommendations?

« Reply #1388 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:00:28 pm »

I'm familiar with Wilco and The Low Anthem, are any of the others in a similar vein? Any album recommendations?

The Felice Brothers aren't a million miles away from Wilco, they play boozy Americana (much as I hate that term, but you get what I mean), with a hard lyrical edge and loads of down-to-earth New York attitude.  The LP The Felice Brothers is a good place to start.  Great live band, too.

Wilderness of Manitoba: quite delicate, folksy stuff, with lovely harmonies and excellent songs.  I think they've only released one LP, the name of which escapes me.  But it's gorgeous.

Wolf Parade play really anthemic pop (if that isn;t a dirt word these days): they're probably going to be massive before long.  Expo 86 is a damn good LP.

The Mountain Goats are one of my favourite bands.  You really need everything ;D  But try Tallahassee or We Shall All Be Healed or, for something a bit earlier, Zopilote Machine (if you can find it).  A lot of the earlier albums are just John Darnielle on his own, with some very basic recording equipment, whereas his more recent stuff is much more polished.  I'm less keen on the more recent stuff for that reason, but those three LPs show off both aspects - the full band sound and the wonderful songs he pens.  His songs can sound much the same, but I think that's cos he's managed to create quite a unique sound, his voice is quite striking, and his lyrics tend to have a particular crescendo-ing rhythm to them.  I'm surprised you've managed to miss them.

The other two, I'm just learning to love myself.  Monotonix certainly aren't like Wilco or the Low Anthem - they're a fucked-up Israeli punk band who only left Israel after their raucous, destructive live performances earned them bans from all the venues there.  And Lantern on the Lake haven't released an LP yet.

I've recently bought a lot of music when I should really be saving my cash :-[ :D

LindaG

« Reply #1389 on: 17 September, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »

I've recently bought a lot of music when I should really be saving my cash :-[ :D

Me too.  But music feeds the soul, and who wants to starve to death?

Today I am listening to the St Matthew Passion, John Eliot Gardner, The English Baroque Orchestra.

« Reply #1390 on: 17 September, 2010, 09:51:32 pm »
I set my MP3 player to select all the songs in memory, then hit shuffle...

It's been a fun musical journey today.

Way Out West, Joe Satriani, Gun, Alannah Myles, Propaganda, Heart, VAST, Magnum, Astral Projectrion, Urge Overkill, BT, Diamond Head, Alice In Chains, Gary Numan...

Me too.  But music feeds the soul, and who wants to starve to death?

This begs the question... what's the aural equivalent of the "wafer thin mints"? ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

PaulF

« Reply #1391 on: 18 September, 2010, 05:57:42 am »

And now you're encouraging me to do the same - thanks :D

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1392 on: 18 September, 2010, 12:38:13 pm »

This begs the question... what's the aural equivalent of the "wafer thin mints"? ;D

Plinky-plunk lute madrigals, probably. Shakespeare opens Twelfth Night with a wafer-thin moment.
Music. Enter Duke, Curio and other Lords, Musicians attending.

DUKE CREOSOTE: If music be the food of love, play on;
    Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
    The appetite may sicken, and so die.

The Early Music scene is full of concerts where, after an hour of dirges in mediaeval Italian, the Leader of the Consorte comes to the front of the stage and says "Those were some of Monteverdi's Songs of Gaiety And Happiness; now we move to some rarely played works from the thirtieth volume of his Songs Of Misery And Death", and the audience murmurs appreciatively as they reach to slit their wrists and really get in the mood.
Not especially helpful or mature

LindaG

« Reply #1393 on: 18 September, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »

Plinky-plunk lute madrigals, probably. Shakespeare opens Twelfth Night with a wafer-thin moment.
Music. Enter Duke, Curio and other Lords, Musicians attending.

DUKE CREOSOTE: If music be the food of love, play on;
    Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
    The appetite may sicken, and so die.

The Early Music scene is full of concerts where, after an hour of dirges in mediaeval Italian, the Leader of the Consorte comes to the front of the stage and says "Those were some of Monteverdi's Songs of Gaiety And Happiness; now we move to some rarely played works from the thirtieth volume of his Songs Of Misery And Death", and the audience murmurs appreciatively as they reach to slit their wrists and really get in the mood.
 ;D ;D POTD for my money.  Oh you are so on the money!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1394 on: 19 September, 2010, 10:44:52 am »
Vinyl  :thumbsup:

Yesterday, someone gave me a turntable, so I'm re-visiting the record collection. Last night:

Richard Thompson - Rumour and Sigh
Van Morrison - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher
CSNY - Deja Vu
Yes - Fragile

:)  :)  :)  :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1395 on: 19 September, 2010, 10:54:54 am »
This morning was Gardiner's Santiago a cappella - just the thing for a Sunday morning.

I've know changed to the Jordi Savall and the Hesperion XXI recording of Dimitrie Cantemir's Kitabu 'İlmi'l-Musiki 'ala Vechi'l-Hurufat or "The Book of the Science of Music".  A fantastic recording of 17th C. Ottoman court music, which includes music from the Sephardic and Armenian traditions.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

PaulF

« Reply #1396 on: 20 September, 2010, 08:25:11 am »

Wilderness of Manitoba: quite delicate, folksy stuff, with lovely harmonies and excellent songs.  I think they've only released one LP, the name of which escapes me.  But it's gorgeous.

It's called "When You Left the Fire" and is absolutely brilliant. Downloaded yesterday, think less saccharine Fleet Foxes.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1397 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1398 on: 22 September, 2010, 12:52:45 am »
Just before I go to bed I'll listen to
Love - Forever Changes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yVBMUXr4xo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7yVBMUXr4xo&rel=1</a>
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1399 on: 23 September, 2010, 04:22:54 pm »

It's called "When You Left the Fire" and is absolutely brilliant. Downloaded yesterday, think less saccharine Fleet Foxes.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Great stuff :thumbsup: