Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178936 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #6875 on: 19 January, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »
Now fettling a cuppa 
  ;D

I'm fettling some sparkling wine.  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6876 on: 19 January, 2013, 06:38:00 pm »
Had a bike cleaning session, and fettled the trike back to barakta-shape.

Realised that one of the spare L-brackets I had left over from making new mirror mounts had the same hole spacing as bottle cage braze-ons, so cold-set it to a sharper angle in a vice, drilled the holes out to M5 and gave it a coat of paint.  Instant, cheap and somewhat overweight ICE bottle cage riser.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6877 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:25:25 pm »
now barakta will trip o0ver it while getting on  ;).
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6878 on: 19 January, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
She's good enough at that already.

We're sceptical about whether it's worth bothering with, but seeing as I had a suitable bit of metal lying around...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6879 on: 19 January, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »
I swapped over the broken SJS light bracket which made my ride home Lessthanfun for a more substantial one which the nice woman in Brixton Cycles sorted out for me.  And she let me fit it in the shop, which was kind, since it was a bit busy, and they normally insist on fettling outdoors.  But it was a bit cold for al fresco spannering.

There were two customers being won over by Disc Truckers, one having a quick release beaing explained ::-) and a chap waiting for his shiny Salsa Vaya to be fettled.  Happy people and bicycles - marvellous!
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6880 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:12:05 pm »
Sorted the handbrake on the car - the cable stop was loose so I had to get the car in the garage which meant finding room, then get the right tools in place, and struggle with it at near ground level when my shoulder is being particularly painful. I learned to not trust a jack, as I managed to roll the car off it when I released the handbrake.
Eventually got it all sorted with much pain and bad language. But it is now happy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6881 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
As mentioned in the "have you been out today" thread, I replaced a slack handful of dodgy dimmer switches at a friend's house. The smell of magic smoke from one of them was quite strong. The electrics in the house were "interesting". Six MCBs, labelled in faded pencil, then crossed out and labelled again. Finding the right one was a matter of turning one off and looking to see if the lights were off. Turning the one off that controlled the downstairs lights didn't turn off the juice to the first switch, which operated some lights, umm, downstairs.  I was ready for this, and deployed a multimeter (neither light weight nor racing, I'm afraid).  The right MCB controlled those lights AND the 13A sockets in that room.

And then to the loo. Liquid had been seen on the floor, blamed at first on the inaccuracies of a Small Boy, but further investigation determined it to be water coming from the extractor fan. There's a lot of crud in a bathroom extractor fan. Poking around in the loft and a bit of jibbling suggested that the seal where the fan flue exited the roof was banjaxed. A job for someone else another day. However, the water was dripping around the fan motor. As the fan was used as a junction box for the light, merely disconnecting it wouldn't work, so a junction box was obtained, the fan wiring withdrawn into the loft and terminated in the junction box.

All this achieved kneeling on joists, wrapped in fibe glasss and with feet protruding from the loft hatch. Passing Small Children held conversations with those parts of me they could see.     A really enjoyable day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6882 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
Finished HK's Condor's replacement dyno wheel. Just need to dig out a rim tape and swap the tyre and tube over. Then disassemble the front wheel to use up the rim on the rear wheel as the current rear rim is nearly worn out. The 8 year old dynohub is starting to make funny noises, so will be going in the bin. The rear hub is isn't likely to make it to next year (a cup starting to die).

Tomorrow is probably headset and fork time. New fork in my TSR (custom headlight braze-on), so the headset needs to be swapped to the new fork. While I've got the tools out, I'll swap the brinelled Shimano headset (with M-Part adaptor) on one of HK's Roberts with a Chris King. I'll think about polishing up the old Chris King from HK's tandem to go on my Frezoni but suspect that time will get away from me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6883 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:12:49 am »
Fettled my Christmas present Edelux onto the Sabbath, and the Cyo from the Sabbath onto the Pompetamine. I had to bar mount it because the On One forks are not drilled all the way through the crown.

I then fitted a new Cateye to the Sabbath and moved the slightly fugly Cateye commuter from the Sabbath to the Pompetamine.

Fitted a new Bagman 2 to the Fuji. It is a very solid looking Carradice support  :thumbsup:

Replaced the straps on my Barley and small roll bag with the new plastic bracket things that attach quickly to the QR Bagmen. They make changing bags over much quicker.

Swapped Garmin Edge 705 brackets for 800 brackets on 2 more bikes.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #6884 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:20:22 am »
Failure of central heating to start traced to airlocked pump. Duly fettled. Phew!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6885 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:23:45 am »
Fitted 8 remote control led lights to TLD's wardrobes.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6886 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:31:36 am »
Fettled my Christmas present Edelux onto the Sabbath, and the Cyo from the Sabbath onto the Pompetamine. I had to bar mount it because the On One forks are not drilled all the way through the crown.

The bike I've got a deposit on has a drilled crown but I don't think all the way through, think it's a threaded insert.

Shop seemed to think I'd be fine with both the mudguard and a light mounted there, is this not the case? I guess I can bar mount if needed but already got a fair bit going up there.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

tiermat

« Reply #6887 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »
Fitted a rear mudguard to TLD's bike, ready for next weekend.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6888 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »

What did you use to mount the cyo on the bars? The only bar mount I've been able to find is quite expensive.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6889 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
laced my first wheel today (a dry run)! now, for the front wheel - do i do the mirror image on the other side (say, outer spokes are trailing) or do i flip the wheel and lace it the same as the other side? i understand practically either way is ok.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6890 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:23:23 pm »
Swapped the latch from the non-closing bedroom door to the non-latching bathroom door.  Thus preventing it from slipping open (it no longer jams solidly, thanks to previous fettling) at night and letting all the heat out.

I should put some sort of wifi-enabled device in there, in case something goes wrong and barakta manages to lock herself in without a hearing aid again.

« Reply #6891 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »
Beer bread fettled (slightly undercooked but v nice)

Soup and sausages mid fettle.

Need to change saddle on Sno bike but don't fancy manhandling the thing from shed to kitchen especially as it's snowy and wet from my ride earlier. Maybe wrap up and do it with headtorch in shed. Should only be a five minute job.

« Reply #6892 on: 20 January, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »
... The right MCB controlled those lights AND the 13A sockets in that room. ...

I hope you pointed out that this was decidedly dodgy (more or less so, based on exactly how it's wired up).  Depending on exactly how dodgy, it could burn the house down (eg lighting cable used as part of a ring main).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6893 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

The bike I've got a deposit on has a drilled crown but I don't think all the way through, think it's a threaded insert.

Shop seemed to think I'd be fine with both the mudguard and a light mounted there, is this not the case? I guess I can bar mount if needed but already got a fair bit going up there.

It's drilled on the back only, so unless you can molish some kind of a bracket that attached behind the fork, went up between the fork blades then held the light up in front then I can't see how that could work.

« Reply #6894 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »

What did you use to mount the cyo on the bars? The only bar mount I've been able to find is quite expensive.

One of these from SJS (who are actually my LBS!)
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-handlebar-fitting-dynamo-headlamp-bracket-prod9884/

They are for up to 26mm bars but I have used zip ties through the bolt holes to firmly secure it to my larger bars. It's a good bracket because it allows you to make side to side adjustments using the same curved washers you get on brake block bolts. It only took seconds to fit  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6895 on: 21 January, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »
That's what I had on my commuter until I fitted the barbag.  A great bracket.  There's a twin-armed equivalent so you can run another light beside it.
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6896 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »
One of these from SJS (who are actually my LBS!)
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-handlebar-fitting-dynamo-headlamp-bracket-prod9884/

They are for up to 26mm bars but I have used zip ties through the bolt holes to firmly secure it to my larger bars. It's a good bracket because it allows you to make side to side adjustments using the same curved washers you get on brake block bolts. It only took seconds to fit  :thumbsup:

Thank you! I've ordered one of them now.

« Reply #6897 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:46:53 pm »

It's drilled on the back only, so unless you can molish some kind of a bracket that attached behind the fork, went up between the fork blades then held the light up in front then I can't see how that could work.

Ah, the one I've got is drilled on the front...I think...gawd my memory is awful at the moment.

tiermat

« Reply #6898 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »
Just stripped and cleaned the drivetrain on the Inbred.

Discovered that the 105 (5600) BB was fubar'd.  Replaced with 6600, see if that improves things.  No play in bearings, just stiffness at the 6 o'clock position.

Needed to re-fettle the rear brake after I put everything back together as the rotor was catching, for some strange reason, and making a pinging noise that sounded like something in the spokes.

Also managed to snap the Halo hex-key skewer as I was fitting the wheel, so a new QR was put in it's place.  I have had enough of those pieces of junk now, shall remove and replace any I have.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6899 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:09:09 pm »
This morning I have been mainly fettling Babbage Engines: first of all the necessary reconfiguration that came as a result of the Great Fibre Upgrade. Tedious, but necessary - I may even be able to use Xbox Live without it turfing me off at random intervals now.

Now I'm working on speeding the OpenStreetMap-serving server up a bit, which is working up to a point. (Un)fortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out for another solid-state drive as the database is disk-I/O bound (given that the disk is one of the spinning-rust variety, this is a Bad Thing)

I may even manage to fit in some bike-fettling later on as the singlespeed needs a few minor tweaks.