Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178939 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #7325 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:18:50 am »
Test fitting of some snow chains ahead of going skiing next week :) I now have scars to prove it.

As advised I planned a trial fitting before I left. Didn't expect to be doing it in the snow but "dry and warm" days have been a rarity this year

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7326 on: 23 March, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »
Just swapped the PSU from the home server, which had big yellow sparks coming out of it. Now wondering why it isn't back on-line
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #7327 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:04:46 pm »
Bloody, flippin drive snow clearing & it's nearly BST!

I have to drive to Luton Airport tomorrow, so got the car ready. I wasn't expecting to have to top up the screen wash anti-freeze :(
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7328 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »
The, what will go down in the history books as The Battle of THoFC's firewall, battle is finally over.

Shiny! New! Hard drive fitted, unable to image direct fromthe old disk to the new I gave up and did a rebuild.

The majority of config files just copied across and worked, but one major webapp is defunct, and the web server has had some major config changes in the 4 release versions of the OS between old disk and new.

The one thing I thought would give me the most pain (shorewall), went without a hitch!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7329 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
Loadsabikes fettling new steering column for a forumite. Not a very good  picture due to phone camera time lag shake but gives general idea. 0.3 mm reduction of part length and other requirements

Myford Super 7?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7330 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:58:20 pm »
installed improved steerer tube on my folding bike, credit to loadsabikes

« Reply #7331 on: 23 March, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »
Loadsabikes fettling new steering column for a forumite. Not a very good  picture due to phone camera time lag shake but gives general idea. 0.3 mm reduction of part length and other requirements

Myford Super 7?

Yep, old and faithfull friend.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7332 on: 23 March, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
Fettled the close coupled WC in the bathroom.A new diaphragm was needed in the syphon.Job done,no bother.
A major plus point was that no water escaped to anywhere it didn't belong :thumbsup:

An action replay.
The new diaphragm had become detached from the matrix due to one of the plastic pop rivets going awol.
Mini tie-wraps ftw  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7333 on: 23 March, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
In my branes I have fettled bike storage which will revolutionise the amount of floor space I will gain as a result.
All I need to do now is acquire the wood and metal and make some noise with tools.
I sense I visit to Mr. Wickes, perhaps tomorrow.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7334 on: 23 March, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »
Various bits of Raspberry Pi fettling - my designated web-server is now acting as a proxy for the GBFO server so it can now serve OpenStreetMap data properly whilst at the same time not exposing aforementioned GBFO server to the big bad Interwebs  :thumbsup:

Next task is to download the necessary files to get the tiles on the server up to date.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7335 on: 23 March, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
Just swapped the PSU from the home server, which had big yellow sparks coming out of it. Now wondering why it isn't back on-line

Simple explanation as usual. Plugged the wrong network cable into it. Doh!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #7336 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »
Picked up an ebay purchase of a virtually unused balance bike, for grandson.

Fettling consisted of stripping & greasing both wheel bearings & headset (why do they assemble these dry?); rebuilt them so there is no longer loads of play  >:( ; re-seating both tyres so that they are concentric with the rims ::-) ; adjusted brakes; lowered saddle and polished the dust off it.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7337 on: 23 March, 2013, 08:45:16 pm »
Cleaned the Tifosi a bit, and actually remembered to lube the chain this time.

« Reply #7338 on: 23 March, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »

Myford Super 7?

Jurek, your recognition of lathes appears to match my lorry recognition (although I bet you can't identify them by sound alone as I sometimes can).
Hhhmm. Perhaps I (we ?) should get out more  ;)

« Reply #7339 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:37:22 pm »
A slightly tidier bedroom; quesadillas; multiple arduino systems involving rangefinders, touch sensors, LED strips and mp3 shields in various combinations; tomorrow's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I now need to try and fit some of those into a rucksack...

« Reply #7340 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:36:38 am »

Myford Super 7?

Jurek, your recognition of lathes appears to match my lorry recognition (although I bet you can't identify them by sound alone as I sometimes can).
Hhhmm. Perhaps I (we ?) should get out more  ;)
There was a time (~ the 70's or earlier) that I could identify most cars and some commercial vehicles by sound alone.
Then we started making more efficient / effective exhaust systems, effectively gagging them until all that is left to hear is the anodyne tyre noise we have today.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7341 on: 24 March, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »
On advice from this parish, I took a power drill to the bottom bracket shell of my project frame. Scary but successful.

Unfortunately now I'm having second thoughts about building it as a singlespeed, and I'm considering spending a chunk of cash on a bunch of geared bits and bobs  :-\

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7342 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »
The tumble drier now works again. The dodgy capacitor has been replaced (which requires removing almost everything else from the drier first) and now starts and stops to order.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7343 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »
We fettled the dog. He is now nekkid again  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7344 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Fitted new pads to the front cantilever brake of HK's MTB and flint mining both tyres.

Fitted a new BB and old Specialized triple crank to HK's S&S-coupled bike in place of the Octalink BB and cranks. Should be less like pedalling a horse now.

Fitted a new Cyo to my Frezoni, so I can use my dynohub again.

Tomorrow's main job is changing all the cables in both of our Moultons, ready for the Easter Arrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7345 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »
Mudguards onto new bike, Bagman 2 onto same which required moving the saddle possibly a touch too high and bending the rack, hopefully not weakening it too much.

Stuck my mtb front lights on new bike, positioning is a pain as the crosstop levers will only let the lights sit in one orientation, think it'll do until I get the dynamo wheel and lights sorted.

I've got a rear light on the right hand seatstay, not ideally positioned but should do especially as not intending to ride in darkness tomorrow, tried to bodge in onto the bagman but my one half successful attempt saw the the light extended too far from the fixing and the whole lot drooping down when I bounced the back wheel.

A frustrating afternoon as nothing quite went right and awkward standing and crouching means my back hurts. Ho hum.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7346 on: 25 March, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »
Just been fettling with my cleats as I've acquired a knee injury.

Discovered a bolt missing from the right hand cleat (right knee injured  ::-)).  Have replaced it and altered its positioning slightly.  Hopefully will improve the post-ride condition of my knee.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #7347 on: 25 March, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »
A green cone that was in an inconvenient place. It was easier to move than the one I moved last summer, because the clay & stones under the topsoil were easier to dig, having had months of being saturated. But it wasn't fun.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7348 on: 25 March, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »
Knocking the sealed bearings out of a front hub.  As the hub is out of the wheel, heating it to 100 deg C in an oven alters the job from being impossible to relatively easy.  The bearings weren't too bad, but after four filthy winters' commuting it seemed a good idea to change them while I had the chance.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7349 on: 25 March, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »
Following on from yesterday's problems, I investigated the rear brake on the trike, and found this under the seat:

Yeah, that'll do it.  I'm blaming the comedy off-roading on the North Birmingham ride (sadly that photo lacks enough resolution to show whether the cable was damaged at that point).  On inspection water had got in through the split, the whole thing was soaking wet and covered in a black rust-like substance and there was a curious double-kink in the inner cable.  I'm astounded it worked at all.

New cable fitted, routed above the gear cable (curving in from the right) in the hope it'll be less prone to snagging on things if it's slightly higher up.  Re-adjusted the pads on the rear disc brake while I was at it.

Re-fitted the rear muguard, with extended rubber flap courtesy of loadsabikes.  Put the original flap aside as a spare for the fronts.  Left the Marathon Winter on for the moment.  It may be my best chance to do any more cycling...