Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178959 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #7850 on: 12 June, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »
The Kaffenback is nearly finished  ;D. Just fitted the (new) stem and seat post. Waiting for a few more bits to arrive before it's complete.

I have already taken it for a 20 mile test ride with some "borrowed" or old parts to trial a rough build. It's 1x9 drivetrain works superbly 8).
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #7851 on: 12 June, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »
Oh and at the w/e I plumbed in the bath and basin in our en-suite. Mrs Woofage is very happy :smug:.
Pen Pusher

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7852 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:23:11 pm »
Last night, replaced the rear mudguard on my Brommie. After-dinner plan this evening is to de-creakify HK's Moulton (not a euphemism).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #7853 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:45:19 pm »
The Hugi hub was starting to mutter on the steeper climbs of the YLY600. It was quiet again on last week's 200, but there weren't any hills.

Given the published profile of the upcoming National 400, I thought it wise to service it. Silky smooth again now  :thumbsup:. Also double-checked we have spare Star Ratchets.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7854 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:50:29 pm »
It is such a shit design...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #7855 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
It is such a shit design...

Yes. And yet trivially repairable at the roadside, should it fail. Unlike a sealed hub.

I'm still divided - which is why I haven't replaced it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7856 on: 12 June, 2013, 09:33:42 pm »
Beginning to sort out the front shifting. Tried to change the cable - no cigar. Removed half the bar tape and changed the cable outer so I could install the new cable at the same time. Replaced bar tape and then stopped for dinner. To be resumed on Friday night. Bike desperately needs a wash too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7857 on: 12 June, 2013, 09:40:05 pm »
Oh and at the w/e I plumbed in the bath and basin in our en-suite. Mrs Woofage is very happy :smug:.
I have to swap out a (cracked) bath on Saturday.  Luckily it is an exact replacement and the plumbing and tiling should all be reusable.  Only gotcha is getting it to drop cleanly away from the tiles - normally a Stanley knife run deeply along the silicone sealant does the job, and then the bath can be lowered on its cradle.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #7858 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:58:48 am »
Get some silicone sealer remover first!
Pen Pusher

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7859 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »
Not me directly, but I got one of the blokes in the factory to cut the splayed and knackered open end off my 15mm combi spanner. I now have a 15mm ring spanner with a handle long enough to give me enough leverage to work on my fixie, yet short enough to fit in the Topeak saddle pack kindly donated by MacB OTP.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7860 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »
I've been mostly trying not to re-un-fettle my thumb[1], which means that:

a) I haven't been able to do much in the way of fettling the house into a habitable state before going into hospital tomorrow
b) The elusive barrel adjusters I need for the Dawes, which finally arrived this morning, will have to remain un-fitted (mole grips and harsh language will be required to remove the jammed old one) - I predict they'll have vanished to a safe place by the time I'm next able to ride a bike
c) The shiny new multi-purpose minor injury tool I bought from Aldi will have to remain un-played-with

[1] Top tip: Don't attempt to plane the edge of 3mm acrylic using a Stanley knife at awkward angles.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7861 on: 13 June, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »
It occurred to me that I hadn't fitted all of the best parts that I had collected together for my Hanlon project and it was pointless keeping them in store if I was meant to be shaking everything down over the summer. So, Brooks Swallow and Campag twin bolt seatpost fitted; then out for a 20km loop with spanners to carry out adjustments. The Swallow, courtesy of scottlington OTP,  was immediately quite a bit more comfortable than my home-butchered B17 and the seatpost, which I admit that I had considered a solution in search of a problem, allows very precise incremental adjustments to be made. I thought it was marvellous so will now need another couple of similar ones for my other bikes. I had a lovely brisk thrash round on the Hanlon, the ride only marred by many biting insects. But on balance I am a very happy, if itchy, bunny this evening!  :thumbsup:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #7862 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:25:28 pm »
Shiny new bits for the Hewitt!   :thumbsup:

A Tubus Tara (Ta-ra!) for the front - fine once I had got over my enthusiasm & RTFM.  ::-)  Pair of smart grey/black Ortliebs to go on it too.

Two new 32mm Pasela PTs to replace what I thought were venerable but okay 28mm originals. They were a lot more cut up than I thought, and the sidewalls were rock hard & slippery, plastic not elastic. Hewitt now looks round-the-world ready, which is more than I am, sadly.

Oh, and Wiggle? When you say Paselas are black, I assume they are all black. Most tyres are black in the tread department. What you meant to write was gum-wall, you wazzocks. They'll do.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7863 on: 13 June, 2013, 09:40:19 pm »
Cleaned bathroom.
Finished fettling new rear wheel - Deore MB590 hub with Ambrosio evolution rim, ACI double butted spokes.  Nice and true!  Not bad for my airfix skills.
Also fitted new stem & bars to the tourer - BBB 35 deg 110mm stem with deda 46cm compact drop bars.  Bars pretty much level with saddle now, and from my initial tests on fitting seems rather comfy!   :)

« Reply #7864 on: 13 June, 2013, 10:56:00 pm »
I fettled a blog post featuring lots of photos of the thing wot Kim has been fettling with me and some others for the last few months.

She's scarily good with a circular saw, you know. Much better than she is with a Stanley knife.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7865 on: 13 June, 2013, 11:20:56 pm »
I fettled a blog post featuring lots of photos of the thing wot Kim has been fettling with me and some others for the last few months.

She's scarily good with a circular saw, you know. Much better than she is with a Stanley knife.

Sigged.

I've just taken the dressing off my thumb and cleaned it up, and the wound is now looking generally unimpressive with no evidence of bleeding - spurty or otherwise - since last night.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7866 on: 14 June, 2013, 08:52:07 am »

You've been working with Mr Dave Checkly :-)

I remember him from the old days of projectXpresents when we where objectX making interactive toys for the audience to play with.

(Plus climbing ladders, painting things, unloading trucks, loading trucks, drinking beer, dancing, etc)
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7867 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:29:52 am »

Ah, but was it a PROPER Stanley knife? By which I mean a model 99E, a weapon of beauty!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #7868 on: 14 June, 2013, 10:14:26 am »

:thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7869 on: 14 June, 2013, 10:59:51 am »
Haven't done it yet, but its a fettle-in-waiting:

Replace the existing brake hose on the front brake of the Double Fixed TrailMonsterTM with a similar, but slightly longer (about 6") hose; people keep banging on about how easy it is to bleed and service Shimano hydraulics, so I'll soon find out if they're right. On the plus side, they use mineral oil now, which is significantly less nasty than DOT fluid1

Also sorely tempted to bodge scythes, switchblades or something equally bladeiferous onto the axles of the Green Machine in light of last week's nettle-tastic bushwhacking experience  :-\ Sadly, napalm isn't very bike portable ...

1 - I have it on good authority from a Tour Divide veteran that vegetable oil can be used in a pinch. I have no desire to find out if this is true.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7870 on: 14 June, 2013, 11:16:18 am »

Ah, but was it a PROPER Stanley knife? By which I mean a model 99E, a weapon of beauty!

No.  If it had been, I'm sure my thumb would be fully intact.

It wasn't really a proper circular saw, either.

« Reply #7871 on: 14 June, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
Also sorely tempted to bodge scythes, switchblades or something equally bladeiferous onto the axles of the Green Machine in light of last week's nettle-tastic bushwhacking experience  :-\

Fit them to Pugsley instead! That would be the ultimate go-anywhere bike...

« Reply #7872 on: 15 June, 2013, 08:37:57 pm »

We have!

I sort of know him retrospectively from projectX; he knows me from retrospectively having to fit light sensors to some boxes I installed on the university campus!

I have a buzz box - were you involved with making them?

« Reply #7873 on: 15 June, 2013, 08:56:25 pm »

We have!

I sort of know him retrospectively from projectX; he knows me from retrospectively having to fit light sensors to some boxes I installed on the university campus!

I have a buzz box - were you involved with making them?

I didn't make any of the buzz boxes, as I was VJ'ing with leon on that show but was involved in the group when Dave designed them.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #7874 on: 15 June, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
Small world!  :thumbsup: