Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178751 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #8125 on: 28 July, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »
Fixed the noisy drivetrain on the Dave Yates. It had, obviously, been like that since I built it up as the chain went the wrong side of the guide on the rear mech!

All quiet now :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8126 on: 28 July, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »
Daft wazzock! ;D
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8127 on: 28 July, 2013, 12:54:23 pm »
Fixed the noisy drivetrain on the Dave Yates. It had, obviously, been like that since I built it up as the chain went the wrong side of the guide on the rear mech!

All quiet now :)
Strange, I never had that problem  ;D

I've been sorting out the brakes on the High Latitude - mainly bits of dickery involving getting the caliper centred, etc. followed by a rip round the village to get the brakes bedded in - even in the 'trail' gear (34x19) it goes like a bullet.

A few other bits of fiddling and it should be ready for riding to work tomorrow.

« Reply #8128 on: 28 July, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »
I've made the mistake of routing a chain wrongly like that at least twice :-[

« Reply #8129 on: 28 July, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
A photo booth, in a field.

Dressing up box, cardboard, pc, camera and double toilet tent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99480376@N06/

Huzzah.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8130 on: 28 July, 2013, 06:45:50 pm »
*double* toilet tent?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8131 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:12:59 pm »
Not today, but Friday afteernoon.

Cast: misc friends, offspring and hangers on.
Scene: A campsite in the New Forest.
A friend produces a tent for her to sleep in. Tent once belonged to me and I'm quick to notice some of the poles, namely the ones that spoing into an arch and hold the "bedroom" walls up, are AWOL. Campsite shop does not sell poles.

Whip out Mora Frost, cut down two stunnigly straight and whippy lengths of hazel. Trim as required. Poke into sleeves in tent.

Voila! Carbon fibre tent poles.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #8132 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »
The first bit of a GPX file for my next audax, the routesheet of which came in the post last week.

Can't say I'm that impressed - the first 40-odd kms are bloody A-roads, and I'm not driving all that way to piss about on dual carriageways. We've got plenty of those right here in Swindon.

« Reply #8133 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:29:45 pm »
Tiling and grouting the shower. I dided it! :thumbsup:

(Not all today, its been over the course of several weekends. My first attempt at any tiling, and I'm stupidly proud of it!)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8134 on: 31 July, 2013, 04:10:53 pm »
Upgraded my Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 by hand using fastboot.  This was pretty straightforward (in as much as anything involving adb/fastboot is - fine if you're happy with the linux command line, anyway), and avoided the recovery image or user data being overwritten.  Re-applied SuperSU for root, and it all seems to Just Work.   :thumbsup:

ETA: Train Times UK app seems to be crashy and MX Player unsupported in 4.3 (presumably jobs for the relevant devs), and of course I had to reinstall the .apk for the SMS app, which is absent from the stock ROM.  Otherwise seems okay so far.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8135 on: 01 August, 2013, 10:01:26 am »
Desqueaked the saddle on the yellow Genesis - it required aggressive application of the tensioning spanner but we got there in the end.

It no longer sounds like I'm torturing mice when my cadence goes above 100rpm  :thumbsup:

Edit: apropos of above, I must get round to rooting my Nexus 7 this weekend.

« Reply #8136 on: 04 August, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
Yesterday I unpacked bags and did copious amounts of laundry.

Reattached wheels onto bike post LEL.

Tent put up in garden to dry as was packed away wet. Didn't do that last time I went camping and it ponged when I came to use it again.

BBQ emptied of ash and put away in shed. After a BBQ two weeks ago and it attempting to escape down the garden in last week's weather.

New cleats attached to new shoes. Was going to put them on the old shoes but cleat plate starting to come away from sole on old shoes so wonder if that is causing some of the squeakiness.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8137 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:21:55 pm »

Can't say I'm that impressed - the first 40-odd kms are bloody A-roads, and I'm not driving all that way to piss about on dual carriageways. We've got plenty of those right here in Swindon.
Not all A roads are created equal..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #8138 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
*double* toilet tent?

Twice as wide so you can sit side by side.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #8139 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »
Stripped down, cleaned up  and rebuilt a pair of Suntour Superbe brake levers for the Mercian project; I was very impressed with the quality of these, they're beautifully made. I find few things as satisfying as some neglected component and with a little patience and elbow grease making it almost as good as new and fit for years more service.

Fitted Tange headset to Mercian allowing it to be bolted up in the bootfair bought build stand, freeing up the service stand for well... servicing. Fitted random stem bars and it really looks like I'm making progress with the frame lurking in the corner of the garage under a sheet. I need to start thinking about a bottom bracket bearing...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8140 on: 04 August, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »
Replaced a rear tube in a friend's hub-geared Dahon and made sure he could get all 5 gears. Tweaked the brakes and mudguards for optimum clearance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8141 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:03:29 pm »
I'm in full house fettling mode atm. I now have a new curtain rail and curtain in the front room, new bed-side table and desk in y bedroom and a number of canvas pictures hung up around the house.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8142 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:08:54 pm »
The single speed Kona lava dome had its painted clarke chain oiled as it was very squeaky.  Also realigned the single speed tensioner as it was a little out.

Managed to dismantle the track pump and put some silicone grease on the seals incase the pressure was passing the gauge.  Even took a bit of the gauge apart but couldn't see any problem.  Couldn't see anything that can be adjusted or failing as the inside gears seem fine.  But then, I wouldn't know if there was a problem.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8143 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:31:38 pm »
The periodic swear, curse and blood sweat and tears. Yes, time (overdue) to put new cleats on the road shoes.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8144 on: 05 August, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »
...and a number of canvas pictures hung up around the house.

This sort of thing?   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8145 on: 05 August, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »
The periodic swear, curse and blood sweat and tears. Yes, time (overdue) to put new cleats on the road shoes.

Copper grease.  Hot glue.

« Reply #8146 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »
Soldered wires from battery compartment to PCB on my GPS. Worked fine after reassembly.

Won't turn on this morning. :(

Bollocks
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #8147 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
Upgraded my Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 by hand using fastboot.  This was pretty straightforward (in as much as anything involving adb/fastboot is - fine if you're happy with the linux command line, anyway), and avoided the recovery image or user data being overwritten.  Re-applied SuperSU for root, and it all seems to Just Work.   :thumbsup:

ETA: Train Times UK app seems to be crashy and MX Player unsupported in 4.3 (presumably jobs for the relevant devs), and of course I had to reinstall the .apk for the SMS app, which is absent from the stock ROM.  Otherwise seems okay so far.

I'm puzzled (not that rare an occurence).  My Nexus 7 said "do you want to upgrade to Android 4.3?" So I said yes, and it did.  End of story.  How come you had to do manual fiddlerery?  I suspect the answer could well be in Kimese, and will leave me failing in the understanding dept, but I'll give it a try anyway...
Wombat

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8148 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »
Quite pleased with my weekend fettling as I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this bike maintenance malarkey.

The old Trek Hybrid needed some TLC as I'd neglected it in favour of the roadbike of late.  So I replaced the front gear cable both inner and outer - took me about 5 mintutes!  ;D (and note to the local Evans - I put ferrules at *both* ends of the outer cable so it doesn't crush inside the shifters  >:()  I replaced the brake discs both front and back as I was getting a lot of squealing and lack of stopping when applying the brakes recently. And most pleasing to myself, I removed the bottom bracket and regreased the threads and inspected it for wear.  I have ordered a new one - I'll ride it into the ground as per most people's advice but it was definitely giving a rough feel when out of the bike.  For some reason I have found this a scary job to do but it turned out to be a piece of cake.  ::-)
I also had to replace the front gear cable on my roadbike.  I lost function in both the rear and the front derailleur on a recent 600 k audax and as I discovered - Evans had done a bodge job on replacing the gear cables when I got them to service it a week or so prior.  I shall be doing all this on my own from now on for sure  >:( 
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8149 on: 05 August, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »
I'm puzzled (not that rare an occurence).  My Nexus 7 said "do you want to upgrade to Android 4.3?" So I said yes, and it did.  End of story.  How come you had to do manual fiddlerery?  I suspect the answer could well be in Kimese, and will leave me failing in the understanding dept, but I'll give it a try anyway...

Mine was rooted, with a third party recovery[1] installed and some minor modifications made to seekrit system files.  When the OTA update tried to install, it saw that what it was trying to install over wasn't what it expected and refused to continue.  Hence to upgrade it needed a re-image with the start-again-from-scratch version of 4.3 (or an unmodified 4.2 so the updater would work).  However, since doing that would have involved a factory reset and lost all my settings, I pulled the individual partition images out of the zip file and applied them by hand using the debugger tools, skipping the bits that overwrite the user data.  Then I just had to re-install the binary for root access and I was back where I started, but with 4.3.

Not actually as complicated as it sounds, and most of the tricky stuff is what you'd have to do to obtain root access in the first place.  If you don't care about root, this can all be safely ignored.

I should also add that an update to MX Player has been released, and it now works fine in 4.3.  There have been a flurry of updates to other apps, too.

[1] Recovery is a sort of halfway stage between the bootloader and Android itself.  Third-party ones like ClockworkMod or TWRP provide useful extra features, like the ability to make and restore full backup images of everything on the device.