Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178868 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10625 on: 25 November, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »
Something very, very special indeed . . .

But it's a SEEKRIT.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10626 on: 25 November, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »
Had to help a student with project regarding filtering oil from water.

Opened up the cartridge which obviously hadn't been used since a similar project last year - still had some water in there though. Egads it smelt worse than the time I had to open the filter on our washing machine  :sick:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10627 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
My saddle on the tandem has been giving me jip of late. I have to say that it's one of the most used B17 hammocks I have seen on a bike. I removed it today and replaced it with the well-used Brooks Flyer that used to be on my solo machine. I'm hoping that the springs will stop the discomfort - an ache and numbness in the sacrum which, one standing up from the saddle, gave an acute pain before feeling greatly relieved.

We'll see how it goes in the morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10628 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:26:02 am »
Replacing radiators, going from imperial to metric rads, new thermo valves and installing a magnatec filter.

Now for two joints I can't find my plumbing solder and flux....arse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10629 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:50:53 am »
Brave time of year to have your heating system in bits and the necessary tools not to hand...

I have work to do on mine, but it's going to wait till after the winter.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10630 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:23:07 am »
Something very, very special indeed . . .

But it's a SEEKRIT.

SEEKRITs are EXCITING!
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10631 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:15:20 am »
Carried the remainder of my household property to my new property.  By myself.  It would've been a gorgeous day for a bike ride, but never mind.

At some point this ill health/moving house/bereavement/injury cycle has to end, surely, so I can go and do the things I really want to do  :hand:

Tired now.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10632 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:19:50 am »
I bet you are. Even though the big furniture was moved, there was still a lot of stuff in some of the cupboards/rooms. Well done, and I hope you are now taking a well earned rest :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10633 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:53:10 am »
I bet you are. Even though the big furniture was moved, there was still a lot of stuff in some of the cupboards/rooms. Well done, and I hope you are now taking a well earned rest :)

Thanks again for all your help mcshroom.

It was a good job they haven't collected that sack trolley yet.  I used it a lot this morning.
Milk please, no sugar.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10634 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:40:17 pm »
Brave time of year to have your heating system in bits and the necessary tools not to hand...

I have work to do on mine, but it's going to wait till after the winter.

It's not cold..I am in london ;)

To replace 6 rads, so far I have replaced on, and removed two. Managed to flood two rooms as the old ales leaked.  Also managed to drop a radiator and all the black gunk inside came out on the carpet.  3 fills of a vax cleaned the carpet and dried out the spills.

So tomorrow is a joy of attaching radiators to walls and installing new bracketry to hang radiators from

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10635 on: 28 November, 2015, 01:06:43 pm »
I fixed the toilet!

Unfortunately this meant lots of bending hands and arms into shapes that really only an octopus should be able to achieve!

Now, though the cistern fills in 30 seconds, not 30 minutes!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10636 on: 28 November, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
Day three of no heating.  All pipes ended up having the valves cut off. Too many layers of paint and so paint that resisted the plumbing blow torch, not even a scorch mark!  All the old radiator hangers have been removed.  Three radiators on the wall with tin foil behind them.  To radiators connected, so four to go.  These all need some pipe fetting. 

Now one more coffee before I start again...with the heaviest radiator...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10637 on: 28 November, 2015, 10:16:35 pm »
Plumbing here, too.

Replaced the mixer taps in the Kitchen and Utility Room which were both knackered in different ways.

The new ones are made by Gessi, a fancy Italian designer-ish brand, which required a bit of re-plumbing to get them hooked up.

All done, and with only a modest amount of leakage of swear-words.
( I think plumbing and rusty-old-car maintenance fight for top place in the Sweary League. )

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10638 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:23:01 pm »
Apart from faffing with HK's trike and her MTB commuter, there was a post-dinner emergency Octalink BB replacement for her Condor, after it disgraced itself during this weekend's rides in the Midlands. Luckily one of the three spare Octalink BBs was the right size. One of the remaining BBs goes with an old unused Ultegra triple crank; the other fits nothing in this house. I should get rid of it to reduce clutter.

The Condor is ready for tomorrow's commute and the MTB might be ready for Tuesday's commute. One of these days, I'll be able to look over the fleet and not think "Must make time to fix that etc, etc."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10639 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:19:27 am »
Finally have heating.  Had hassle getting joints to seal.  Ended up have to have an take joints apart and tin the pipes before putting the pipes back together. Even required an emergency run to homebase  to get a few pre soldered joints at 5.30pm on a sunday.  Even had to buy a new blow lamp as the old one didn't want to get a decent flame. :facepalm:

Now I am getting complaints that the flat is too hot ::-)  Also the flat gets hot really quicker than before.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10640 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »
Decided after 18 months it was probably time to trim and rehang my living room door which has been hiding in the spare room since I put the laminate down. Also, after 7.5 hours driving for 3.5 hours in a meeting I felt I needed to achieve something.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10641 on: 02 December, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »
Today's been all about the dangly cables.

First, in the interests of tidying up, I molished a magnetic test lead holder:

(Normal people would simply screw such a thing to a convenient wall, but we're not allowed to do that, so I used bastard-strong rare earth magnets to attach it to the server rack.  The whole thing can easily be lifted off for access to the computer stuff.)

Observant readers will note that this was fabricated from a Useful Bit Of Wood™.  As such, step 0 of the manufacturing process involved sweeping a large pile of leaves out of the way in order to gain access to ye shedde, which is their natural habitat.  This necessitated that step 1 was to be the removal of a quantity of leaf chutney from the tread of my shoes.  It's like having your own cycle lane.

That done, I set about mounting a 6-way power strip to the underside of barakta's new robotic desk.  This was more fiddly than it looked, and involved foul language.

There's now enough slack for the desk to go through its full 'Thunderbirds Are Go!' cycle without unplugging any computer equipment, and for the monitors to be mounted on their swing arm thingy, should the suppliers ever work out a way to mount it to the desk that doesn't involve me getting medieval on the clamp bracket with a drill press.

ETA: Appropriate end fettled onto a spare wall-wart from the box of random power supplies.  To replace the wall-wart shown in the photo, which met its demise against the horizontal strut (just out of shot) with some force when barakta experimentally lowered the desk to its minimum height.   :facepalm:

I hate wall-warts.  I particularly hate it when they're required for the operation of a little-used but sadly necessary anbaric distavox.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10642 on: 02 December, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »

<snip>

I hate wall-warts.  I particularly hate it when they're required for the operation of a little-used but sadly necessary anbaric distavox.

See espcially wallwarts where the cable comes out of the top edge.  The behind the TV  electro-tqt at the new gaff requires lots of electrickery, some of it via wall warts (Pi, External HDD, phone, router, phono pre amp).  The multiway wossname has 8 sockets (hurrah) but arranged in two rows of four, head to head (boo).  Thus using a wallwart with the cable out of the top takes out two sockets in one go. Bah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10643 on: 02 December, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »
See also Great Big Fat Huge PS2->USB adaptor that blocks access to adjacent USB hole and the deeply stupid design of my old desktop machine that blocked two USB ports with the monitor cable :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10644 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »
Fitted new drive belts to my aging (30 plus) cassette deck.  Bought the replacement belts from an Ebay seller who turned out to be in Portugal.  The old ones had dissolved into tarry gunk, much of which I managed to transfer to my fingers.  Only one pingfuckit left over at the end, and the deck seems to work.  I shall now be able to play cassettes from back in the day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10645 on: 04 December, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »
*pictures Tim Hall with massive boombox perched atop his shoulder*
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10646 on: 04 December, 2015, 02:30:04 pm »

<snip>

See espcially wallwarts where the cable comes out of the top edge.  The behind the TV  electro-tqt at the new gaff requires lots of electrickery, some of it via wall warts (Pi, External HDD, phone, router, phono pre amp).  The multiway wossname has 8 sockets (hurrah) but arranged in two rows of four, head to head (boo).  Thus using a wallwart with the cable out of the top takes out two sockets in one go. Bah.

How about using a USB Pass-through charger to lift the offending wall wart above the plug opposite?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10647 on: 04 December, 2015, 02:47:35 pm »
My PVR has two modes ov DETH: thee Grey Screen ov DETH abd thee Green Screen ov DETH.  The latter can only be cured by unplugging the mains, saying ten von Neumanns and plugging it back in.  To this end its power bricky-thing now has "PVR" written on it in large friendly letters with a tippex-pen contraption.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10648 on: 04 December, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »
Changed the front tyre of HK's MTB commuter last night. It seems we have used up the MTB brake cables at home so I'll have to pick up a couple to set up the new V-brake tonight.

I'll need to change the Solidlight mount to clear the new cable at the same time. No doubt we have something that'll fit well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10649 on: 04 December, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »

<snip>

How about using a USB Pass-through charger to lift the offending wall wart above the plug opposite?

The problem has been solved.  One of the sockets on the 8 way then went to a 4 way (yes, I know), all in line abreast populated with normal plugs   The Boy, who is a smartarse, pointed out that if we moved as many of the the top exiting wall warts as possible to the 4 way, swapping them for the normal plugs, it would free up more spaces in the 8 way. IYSWIM. 

And, no, Clarion, I'm not featuring the in opening scenes from "History of the World Part 1".  <sticks out tongue>