Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178757 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11400 on: 02 October, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »
Washed my bike.  Hoping Miff from the club won't look at it with that sad face next week now.
My club once said I couldn't ride with them if I didn't wash mine.

How bad was it   :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #11401 on: 03 October, 2016, 12:08:32 am »
Don't really remember. I thought it was fine, obviously ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11402 on: 04 October, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
I has a penguin.. A reconstruction from photos of the ones on the wall at the Overgate shopping centre.

It is only 3cm high so sits on my monitor.

DSC_0373 by David Martin, on Flickr

I will print it larger, sand and finish, and make it into a very nice object.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #11403 on: 04 October, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »
I saw your brilliant Friendface post where you made that.  It's amazing.

I have cleared out the cupboard where I keep all the cycling stuff, and organised it all, and put it all back in.

Hopefully I'll be able to find stuff when I need it now.

It was BAD in there.  Also I seem to have about four pairs of SPD pedals kicking about, not attached to bicycles.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11404 on: 04 October, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »
Also I seem to have about four pairs of SPD pedals kicking about, not attached to bicycles.

I seem to do that too: Pedals develop the Click Of Annoyance, so I replace them with new ones and rotate the old ones to the bikes where it will annoy me less.  But I still end up with a set of not-actually-broken pedals which I squirrel away because it'd be wasteful to get rid of them.  n+1 helps to an extent, but not very sustainably.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11405 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:36:56 pm »
Also I seem to have about four pairs of SPD pedals kicking about, not attached to bicycles.

I seem to do that too: Pedals develop the Click Of Annoyance, so I replace them with new ones and rotate the old ones to the bikes where it will annoy me less.  But I still end up with a set of not-actually-broken pedals which I squirrel away because it'd be wasteful to get rid of them.  n+1 helps to an extent, but not very sustainably.

I got rid of my last pair of annoying squeak pedals to a tradesman.  He was well chuffed. Not as chuffed as me at getting rid of the squeak
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11406 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:05:19 pm »
Set up mobile phone for Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.), got Skype working on his laptop and clever landlone, installed ten million updates on said laptop, got Skype working on my fondleslab and all because Prof Larrington is off to do an extended bunch of professoring in Orztrylia.

At least she has agreed to take 2D Thomas with her :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11407 on: 05 October, 2016, 07:51:50 am »

I got rid of my last pair of annoying squeak pedals to a tradesman.  He was well chuffed. Not as chuffed as me at getting rid of the squeak

Seems to me they - i.e. double-sided MTB pedals - didn't always do that.  I had one pair that went ~6 years with no problems.  The ones I replaced them with started to click after maybe a year, and at least one other set has started too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11408 on: 05 October, 2016, 09:51:58 am »
Spuds click. That's the point, innit...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11409 on: 05 October, 2016, 12:23:04 pm »
I has a penguin.. A reconstruction from photos of the ones on the wall at the Overgate shopping centre.

It looks like something not ready to be born.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11410 on: 05 October, 2016, 01:15:25 pm »
Fettled a 2 cross 36 hole 20" wheel with a SON hub. It was a right faff as I kept doing 3 cross as that is what I'm used to do. Put 2-3 spokes in while watching random YouTube and drinking tea, take 2-3 spokes out, going right it is 2 cross you numpty, fit one spoke right, sip of tea, fit a few more spokes, take a spoke out as I fecking crossed it 3 times etc etc
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11411 on: 05 October, 2016, 01:16:50 pm »

It looks like something not ready to be born.

Slouching towards Bethlehem?

My fettling has been restricted to swearing at the Inlaw Paw's old Maxicraft Jupiter Dremel-lookalike, which has a broken wire inside the casing and resists every effort to find a way in.

« Reply #11412 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:22:41 pm »
Well, I suppose it's a little rough, & one could just about call a bird a beast.  ;) But I was thinking more along the lines of it looking rather foetal.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #11413 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:08:37 am »
It looks a bit... Lovecraftian. :demon:

Quote from: At the Mountains of Madness
For it was only a penguin - albeit of a huge, unknown species larger than the greatest of the known king penguins, and monstrous in its combined albinism and virtual eyelessness.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11414 on: 06 October, 2016, 08:17:47 am »
Well I like it, even in its present woolly aspect.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11415 on: 06 October, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »
Wired up the dyno light front and back on the recumbent, which meant extending some wires. Hooked it up to Peli's bike and it worked \o/ Now I just need to true the wheel I laced up the other day, and I will be ready to ride in the winter :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11416 on: 06 October, 2016, 05:42:49 pm »
Sorted out the base supports on the bed. We have an otterman bed and the two cross pieces that support the floor of the storage bit had come astray, due to being just stapled to the uprights. A quick empty of all the clothes under the bed, a quicker disassembly then whack on some gorilla glue, leave to set and repeat steps 2 and 1, in reverse. All ready to store stuff and to sleep on now.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11417 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:13:50 pm »
Does gorilla glue work on otters?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11418 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »
Does gorilla glue work on otters?

No, you'll need otter glue for that, silly :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11419 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:41:46 pm »
Started to take the Samsung NotePro tablet to pieces to replace the battery. I got the back off relatively easily and got 6 of the tiny phillips screws out with a slotted screwdriver, but number 7 was not going to shift. I've ordered some more precision 'drivers to do the job, as I don't want to knacker the screw up. That'll take the total cost to c.£25; i.e. £100+ cheaper than a factory replacement - assuming it works!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11420 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:51:31 pm »
Only fettling by proxy having rung the LBS to try and schedule wheel building with dyno hub that's sitting at home
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11421 on: 07 October, 2016, 08:28:05 am »

Seems to me they - i.e. double-sided MTB pedals - didn't always do that.  I had one pair that went ~6 years with no problems.  The ones I replaced them with started to click after maybe a year, and at least one other set has started too.

The right pedal on my Trek started clicking yesterday, after just 6500 km and only once ridden in rain. :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11422 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:35:36 am »
I don't think rain comes into it.  The click is from wear in the shoe/cleat/pedal interface, not the bearing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11423 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:29:03 pm »
Could be, although I do change cleats every 10 years or so...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11424 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:40:13 pm »
Changing the cleat can help, but does nothing for wear on the pedal side (or the shoe, for that matter).  In my experience (I have several sets of shoes and pedals, so it's readily apparent which side is causing the problem) worn cleats unclip too easily[1], but worn pedals cause a click on each pedal stroke without affecting the retention (and indeed increasing the tension does nothing for the click).  With dual-sided pedals, one side may click worse than the other.

It's almost but not quite enough to make me want to forklift upgrade to some other pedal system.  Then I see the price.

[1] Though StuAff had a worn cleat recently that wouldn't unclip at all in one direction.