Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178833 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2625 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »
Pumped up my forks. Too cold for anything else.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2626 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:05:26 am »
The uber commuter's brakes restored into a working state again.
It's now also proudly wearing a set of studded tyres.

« Reply #2627 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:19:41 am »
Fitted cables to and set up front and rear brakes (which involved drills, solder and cutters). Fitted and adjusted front derailleur cable. Taped handlebars. Trued rear wheel.

Shame I don't have any pedals to put on the thing. <sighs, drums fingers, wonders how long delivery from Ireland will take>.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2628 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »
Predictably, fitted the studded tyres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2629 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »
Fitted cables to and set up front and rear brakes (which involved drills, solder and cutters). Fitted and adjusted front derailleur cable. Taped handlebars. Trued rear wheel.

Shame I don't have any pedals to put on the thing. <sighs, drums fingers, wonders how long delivery from Ireland will take>.

I presume you have plenty of grease at the ready for when the pedals finally arrive? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2630 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »
Predictably, fitted the studded tyres.

Fitted lights to the bike with studded tyres and then re-fitted its rear mudguard above the brake bridge for greater clearance.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2631 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:06:19 pm »
Transferred lights and saddlebag from my commuter bike to my mountain bike in anticipation of getting up tomorrow to snow-covered roads.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #2632 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:29:57 am »
I just fettled the Nokian Hakkapeliittas onto the commuter, the rear wheel is making an odd wooshing sound, but I think it's the little bits of rubber left over from the mould rubbing on the mudguards (the rear guard is slightly closer than the front because of the brake bridge).  They'll get tried out in anger very shortly!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2633 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
Schwalbe Snow Studs fitted to MTB.

Light brackets shifted over to MTB, will have to buy another pair of brackets rather than moving them each time I change bikes as I can see them fatiguing rapidly (plastic collar that need forcking open to go round bars).

Normally carry battery for front light in my saddlebag on the roadie but don't have one on the MTB so using the supplied bracket, was possible to just pull the battery out without depressing clip so added some tape to pad it out and seems to be secure.

Now to sort out a backpack for tomorrow as have no pannier rack on MTB.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2634 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:27:17 pm »
Replaced my Gatorskin 25s with Marathon Plus 28s.  I don't believe studded tires are going to be useful in London as yet.  If that changes, I do believe I will try out the cable ties thing on the back wheel, for a mad giggle.

Tight clearance.  29s would have gone in, 32 - no way.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2635 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:28:04 am »
... I don't believe studded tires are going to be useful in London as yet. ...

You're obviously not in South London then.  There's at least 8 inches of snow in Croydon, which is now somewhat icy.  Actually I reckon the tread on my studded tyres is proving more useful than the studs, but the studs are going to have some impact where the roads are clearer, so they'll potentially have a thin sheen of ice.

« Reply #2636 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »
Looked clear around Olympia, from my limited observation. I was walking to and from Baron's Court tube. Pavements clear too. I wouldn't have bothered with winter tyres if I had been riding, and several people went by on road bikes with 23Cs or similar.

« Reply #2637 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »
Yesterday the demarcation line was around Clapham Common, north of there was virtually clear of any snow, southward it got progressively whiter.

When I left South Ken about an hour ago, it was still clear of any snow there, but seemed to be very lightly drizzling, whereas Croydon still has over 8 inches or so, and is currently got a little snow covering up any bits which had been cleared.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2638 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:17:06 pm »
Trued four wheels (built by others) and now have got to regrease one hub tomorrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2639 on: 03 December, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »
The HDD in the Sky+ box was doing odd things, swapped it for a spare 120GB drive I had lying around. 3 times as much space now!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2640 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:35:41 am »
The phones, which appear to be suffering from an outbreak of gremlins.

« Reply #2641 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:45:39 am »
I must get round to fettling my phone too, it stopped working about a year ago. I haven't missed it much, it's nice never being bothered by telesales people, wrong numbers and my mother.

« Reply #2642 on: 04 December, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »
Finally got around to swapping out the 700c x 35 Marathon Plus tyres with less than 50 miles on them for some 700c x 32 standard Marathons.   The Plusses are now lazing in the bath after a quick rub down before being packaged for postage on Monday.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2643 on: 04 December, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »
The HDD in the Sky+ box was doing odd things, swapped it for a spare 120GB drive I had lying around. 3 times as much space now!

Interesting! Two questions - was it easy to do? and are the fans on all the time now?
It is simpler than it looks.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2644 on: 04 December, 2010, 08:10:42 pm »
SKS mudguards onto daughter's Carrera Subway. Took all afternoon, cutting stays to length with hand vice & junior hacksaw (I think they put the same length stays in all kits). Look good though, and kept me warm doing that.

« Reply #2645 on: 04 December, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

Interesting! Two questions - was it easy to do? and are the fans on all the time now?

I used this page:

Digital Spy - Sky+ Upgrade FAQ – 14th February 2009 - Sky+ - Digital Spy Forums

1) Easy? Yes, although...

The Pace box I have had 3 Torx screws on it securing the case. I just undid them with a pair of pliers and threw them away. I haven't bothered fitting replacements as the case is quite a snug fit anyway.

In my case, the drive itself was held in a caddy with bolts that can be undone with a 2mm allen key, and then the caddy was attached to the drive with normal crosshead/philips screws. If you're lucky you'll be able to undo the crosshead screws without needing to undo the allen key bolts, but with me the allen key bolts stopped me undoing the screws so I had to them first and remove the drive.

The 40GB drive I took out was thinner than the normal 3.5" drive I replaced it with, but there's still space for a normal height 3.5" HDD.

As the link says, as long as you're on a recent enough EPG (v5 as almost all will be now) then they'll have the right magic to handle drives with slightly longer spin-up times (as 7200rpm drives do).

2) I was replacing the drive with a different Maxtor drive, so I was able to use the utilities linked on that page to turn off Write Verify and enable Quiet Mode.

Maximum space the Sky+ box can use is 500GB (even with bigger drives), the page linked has more info on this.

I have a bunch of 250GB drives spare but I knew the 120GB definitely didn't contain anything. Being new to Sky+ we don't rely on it now, so my only desire was to make it work again (the 40GB drive was knackered and causing recordings to pause and stop playing back).

I put the new drive in, the box took a bit longer to start up and it's been usable ever since. I didn't have to do anything special to make it start using the new drive.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2646 on: 04 December, 2010, 10:13:00 pm »
I swapped the rear Marathon Plus on my tourer for something a bit chunkier I found in the back room.  Not sure what it came off, but it works OK.  Fiddled with the gears, too, to very little effect ;D
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2647 on: 04 December, 2010, 10:16:41 pm »
Regreased a hub and ordered a cone spanner to let me regrease another couple of hubs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Clandy

« Reply #2648 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:44:24 am »
Changed the BB in the Dawes.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2649 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:35:21 am »
Currently fettling the stoor aff the tap o' the kitchen cupboards.   :o