Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2178745 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2675 on: 11 December, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »
Unfettled my Mercian - stripped it down and took it to Mercian for a respray.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2676 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:48:22 pm »
Put a new chain on the MTB, pumped up the studded tyres. Seems to be fit now in case we get ice/snow next week.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2677 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:55:58 pm »
Back to road tyres for the Cannondale.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2678 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »
Helped Pingu put a new wheel on the commuter, to replace the one I put a bum-shaped dent in a couple of weeks ago  :-[
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2679 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »
Finished converting one of my fixies into a cyclocross bike. There's way too much snow here for effective fixed-wheel riding.
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

« Reply #2680 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »
Put an SQR block on the Pompino and made a new lamp strap for my slightly decrepit saddlebag.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2681 on: 12 December, 2010, 03:00:42 pm »
Finished converting one of my fixies into a cyclocross bike. There's way too much snow here for effective fixed-wheel riding.

You must be laughing about our complaints about a tiny bit of snow.  You know what it's like when there's real snow!

Have fun with the Cyclo-cross bike! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #2682 on: 12 December, 2010, 03:37:02 pm »
You must be laughing about our complaints about a tiny bit of snow.  You know what it's like when there's real snow!

Have fun with the Cyclo-cross bike! :thumbsup:

Hi Clarion,

As they say, everything is relative! On one hand, I may be laughing, but on the other hand I envy you guys for your mild winters and long summers. And it's not just the snow, it's also that sometimes it can be really c-o-l-d here. I once had a p*ncture when it was -30°C and a gale was blowing. There was no way I could fix that on the spot. The cyclo-cross bike has 700x35C Schwalbe Marathon Winters (studded tyres) on it, and I'm hoping that they are p*ncture-proof. *touches wood*

Lotum
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

« Reply #2683 on: 12 December, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »
Trying to get a bigger gear on the pub/bad weather hack. It's and 8sp.
Took a file to a 7sp cassette, ripped the biggest cog off it, used the smallest cog and some old beer can to make up a spacer the right size.

Seems to work on the turbo trainer/fettling stand, will see how it does on the road next week.

rdaviesb

« Reply #2684 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:27:48 am »
A nice alloy chainguard on the wife's Cooper Reims.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2685 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »
Stuck validation labels on brevet cards. Not going to post them until the end of the month because I am a bad organiser of Christmas mail.

« Reply #2686 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:41:14 pm »
My son claimed his bike had a rear puncture. Took wheel and tyre off and looked at tube. They both looked Ok so pumped the tube up. Couldn't find any leakage.

Got spare tube out that I thought fitted his bike but discovered it only does up to a 45mm tyre and he has 47mm. Don't have a tube that size so refitted the original one, it stayed up while I cycled round the block but I nearly came a cropper since I forgot that it is a large frame and my son is 6'2".

If it goes flat overnight I will need to visit my LBS for a new tube tomorrow. I asked my son tonight if he would like me to teach him how to repair a puncture. He said 'no thanks, I can just push it home for you to repair'.  :facepalm:

corshamjim

« Reply #2687 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:50:52 pm »
Think yourself lucky.  When I was a kid one of the boys next door confessed he had purposely run over a drawing pin once just so he could watch his dad fix the puncture!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2688 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »
Got spare tube out that I thought fitted his bike but discovered it only does up to a 45mm tyre and he has 47mm.

Fairly sure that counts as 'close enough'.  Might be slightly more prone to further visitations than would be optimal, but certainly fine as an interim measure.  That rubber's quite stretchy.

A 26" tube in a 700c wheel, less so.  Don't ask how I know this.

Today I have fettled a 1-wire interface and, more specifically, the software to drive it, into a state of basic functionality.  Now waiting for some sensors and associated bits and pieces to turn up before I can do anything interesting with it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2689 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:11:10 pm »
I put the old wheel back on my fixed.

And mended the p*nct*re in the tube on the other.

And tweaked the bearings on the hub.

Sadly, as I was fool enough to mangle a link of my indicator chain, I had to do the first thing on this list :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2690 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:30:57 pm »
I removed some excess oil from my chain with my trousers ::-)

border-rider

« Reply #2691 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »
Turned an old wheel into a fixed wheel, like this

Part of the conversion of a knackered c1992 bike with all the original equipment (even chain  :o)

« Reply #2692 on: 14 December, 2010, 12:16:51 am »
Took apart and fixed a 'nonfunctional' microsoft intellimouse - they were going to throw it in the bin at work - just needed the damaged bit of cable cutting out and wires soldering back together.

Installed ubuntu on pc for daughter for xmas.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2693 on: 14 December, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »
Fitted one of these:

An Lun 3 LED Rear Light for Mudguards

to my audax bike.

Dressed a brace of pheasants I was given at the weekend.

Scored a bnib Brooks B17 Special for the Brommie for 45 quid, the seller having mis-labelled it as the womens' version.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2694 on: 14 December, 2010, 07:43:42 pm »
Obtained the right inner tube for my son's bike and showed him how to change a rear wheel puncture. He seemed quite interested which shocked me. I almost looked like I knew what I was doing giving him a demo  ;D

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2695 on: 15 December, 2010, 12:30:32 am »
Adjusted the tension on my headset as the bike was steering like a tank, it was much better tonight just need to move the levers inwards a little & it should be spot on.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #2696 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:16:35 am »
"Adjusted" the trailer hitch on my everyday/shopping bike to fix it after flipping the trailer following a kerb clipping incident. D'oh!

« Reply #2697 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
Not today, but at the weekend: I had not been quite happy with the lever position on Bob Jackson's bars. I had some new Brooks bar tape, (bought relatively bargainously, yet still spendy) so carefully proceeded. I spent a hell of a long time making numerous almost imperceptable changes. Until they were right. Then carried out an absolutely perfect job on the bar tape. Utterly textbook bar tape.

After 3 days riding, they are wrong. Not just wrong, but wronger. Somehow :'(

« Reply #2698 on: 15 December, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »
Not today, but at the weekend: I had not been quite happy with the lever position on Bob Jackson's bars. I had some new Brooks bar tape, (bought relatively bargainously, yet still spendy) so carefully proceeded. I spent a hell of a long time making numerous almost imperceptable changes. Until they were right. Then carried out an absolutely perfect job on the bar tape. Utterly textbook bar tape.

After 3 days riding, they are wrong. Not just wrong, but wronger. Somehow :'(

That is the price you pay for chasing perfection. If you had set your sights on OK they would be just that.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2699 on: 16 December, 2010, 01:19:37 pm »
1. Designed and ordered a bespoke fitted tarpaulin cover for my trailer box from local company.
2. received email from Chain Reaction advising bar bag rack has been sent :thumbsup:
3. ordered new Easton seatpost for MTB.
4. Dismantled old wheelbarrow inner tube with view to making something useful, but probably ugly.
5. Looked at some old/spare spoons and forks and thought, "Mmm, DIY spork?" I'm beginning to see the logic in becoming a Dremel owner.