Author Topic: BBB vs Campag 10 sp cassette, Campag vs Wippermann chain  (Read 1845 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
BBB vs Campag 10 sp cassette, Campag vs Wippermann chain
« on: 11 May, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »
Mrs LWaB's TSR has been sitting in the corner just long enough to rust the chain solid.  Given it has done a fair few miles in the past year and 10 sp chains wear quickly (I still haven't got past 7 sp on most of my bikes), I'll probably need to fit a new Campag-compatible 10sp 11-23t cassette and chain.  The original system is like all 10 sp set-ups, sensitive.

BBB is just over half the cost of the real deal here in Oz.  Should I get the name brand?

Wippermann chain vs Campag.  Cost is similar but I've been impressed with other Wippermann chains and their connectors.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wibble

Re: BBB vs Campag 10 sp cassette, Campag vs Wippermann chain
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2008, 02:08:40 pm »
Everyone seems to avoid Campy's chains and go for ones that have a no-tool connecting link.

Am I right in thinking that any 10sp chain will fit Campag?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:47:40 pm »
Any 10-speed chain should work with Campag, but notice that Campag Ultra Narrow chain is slightly narrower than some other 10-speed chains.  It runs more quitely as there is less contact with neighbouring sprockets*.  In fact this is why the Ultra Narrow chain was invented.  It is narrower than the previous Campag 10-speed chain.

There is no need to avoid Campag chain in order to use a no-tool connecting link.  You can use a Wipperman Connex link with a genuine Campag chain.  (This is what I do).  Get the "Shimano" version of the Connex link for Ultra Narrow chain.

I've not found 10-speed more difficult at all to setup than 9 or 8 speed, and I'm not really sure it is any less long-lasting.

* There would never be any contact if you had perfect components and indexing - but in reality there is some play in the shifters and mech that means a bit of extra leeway from a narrower chain is helpful.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wibble

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »
So Campy chains used to be 6.2mm wide, then (without changing sprockets or anything else) they moved to 5.9mm.  Some Campy-compatible chains are (were?) still 6.2mm.  What width are Shimano chains?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2008, 06:10:44 pm »
So Campy chains used to be 6.2mm wide, then (without changing sprockets or anything else) they moved to 5.9mm.

Used to be 6.1mm.  That's right, they moved to a narrower chain without changing anything else.  "Noise" was mentioned in the catalogues, so I believe that was the reason for it.  I suppose they are also a tiny bit lighter.

Some Campy-compatible chains are (were?) still 6.2mm.

Yep, they don't seem to have caught on that Campag have narrowed their chains, so they are behind the times.

What width are Shimano chains?

Can't remember exactly, but narrower than 6.1mm.  I would think about using them with my Campag 10-speed systems if they were much cheaper.  Meanwhile I'll stick with the devil I know.  Campag chains are very well made.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »
Re the other part of your question - BBB or campag cassette.

I use both, and would recommend either. The BBB is very shiny, and seems to wear at least as well as a Campag. There are some useful ratios as well.

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »
To perhaps go against what Paul said, I've had one of the BBB ones, and won't be buying another. I thought it wore somewhat faster, and I found the indexing an arse to set up and maintain. No probs when swapped back to a Veloce one. Campag are pretty pricy though.