Author Topic: Highlands 400k Route Ideas  (Read 2523 times)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Highlands 400k Route Ideas
« on: 12 July, 2021, 11:51:25 pm »
I’m looking to tap into the knowledge of the Scottish contingent of the forum (or anyone with knowledge of Audaxing in the Highlands). We’ll be up visiting the in-laws in Aviemore next month, and I’ll be taking the audax bike up with me – previously I’ve ridden the Snow Roads perm when in the area, but I’m a 400k short of an SR this season, so was looking into the possibility of riding a 400k DIY starting in Aviemore. Are there any sensible routes that might work? Ideally, I’d be looking for one overnight control to break up the night riding, and would be happy to start at any time of day that worked best with controls, traffic etc. I usually average between 18 and 20kph including stops on a 400k (slower if it’s hilly), and would prefer scenic, traffic free roads… although appreciate that these would likely take me away from civilisation and therefore away from potential controls. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed – if it’s not practical, then I’ll look to ride an East Anglian 400k in September to complete the SR.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Highlands 400k Route Ideas
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2021, 12:45:38 am »
Don't do it you'll be eaten alive by the locals*

The A9 corridor has decent low/no traffic options.

Probably the best place for an overnight stop is where your staying, so...
Wait it's a 400,do you mean sleep stop or snooze stop?

For a first 300 you could head up slochd via Neth forest, head down to wherever the route in monster munch goes under the A9 and into the hills above the south side of Loch ness, find a way round Inverness and head out the riviera, find the turra Coo for ideas in that, come back over Dava into Carrbridge shouldn't be quite as snowy as it was for monster munch, and then dig out grantin gallop and Rothes recce to get roads to finish off.

Or you could ride out to Tomintoul to pick up the snow roads and ride back from Tomintoul, if that leave you short throw in the ski road bland other wiggling about Glenfeshie and the twin cities of Newtonmore and kingussie**

* midge population obviously...
** Well theyvhatevecahother like only siblings can.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:43:45 am »
Thanks very much for the suggestions - plenty to think about  :thumbsup:

Don't do it you'll be eaten alive by the locals*
Have experienced this before, not much fun when stopped so I'd try to keep moving at all times (although clearly I'm going to get eaten alive should I have any kind of mechanical).

Probably the best place for an overnight stop is where your staying, so...
Wait it's a 400,do you mean sleep stop or snooze stop?
Probably neither, just the ability to be inside somewhere with a hot drink and have a little bit of down time - would prefer to head fully away from Aviemore to explore some new roads / places, but if that really is the best option, then two loops from there is a decent suggestion.

For a first 300 you could head up slochd via Neth forest, head down to wherever the route in monster munch goes under the A9 and into the hills above the south side of Loch ness, find a way round Inverness and head out the riviera, find the turra Coo for ideas in that, come back over Dava into Carrbridge shouldn't be quite as snowy as it was for monster munch, and then dig out grantin gallop and Rothes recce to get roads to finish off.
Thanks - will try to find all of these routes to stitch something together.

Or you could ride out to Tomintoul to pick up the snow roads and ride back from Tomintoul, if that leave you short throw in the ski road bland other wiggling about Glenfeshie and the twin cities of Newtonmore and kingussie**
I think this would leave me overdistance, rather than short when I looked at it before, but will double check. Assume there aren't many/any 24h options on route as it doesn't go through the biggest places.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:53:26 am »
When Feanor otp and I did a 400 to Aviemore this was the route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3068323 . That may give you some ideas.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2021, 09:01:19 am »
When Feanor otp and I did a 400 to Aviemore this was the route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3068323 . That may give you some ideas.
Thanks - this looks ideal, starting in Aviemore late afternoon / early evening should see me in Aberdeen when I need to break up the night riding. Does anyone know whether there are any decent 24h options there which allow cyclists inside?

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2021, 09:37:36 am »
If you've already done Snow Roads, I'd suggest heading North and West of Aviemore with potential night stop planned in Inverness where there are 24 hour services.

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »
I'd agree, go north if you want scenery and quiet roads. Midgies are not too bad on the east coast. Just avoid the NC500 which is full of idiots...

Maybe up to Inverness, then Black Isle, Cromarty ferry (check the timetable), Portmahomack, Dornoch, Lairg. Then back by Ardgay, Alness, Dingwall.
Could do another loop around south side of Loch Ness, Fort Augustus and back, though is a bit of a hill up and down.

Though yes, options for controls could be limited. Don't think there's much north of Inverness open overnight. Dingwall Tesco is open till midnight, or Tain till 10pm.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2021, 03:53:28 pm »
Though yes, options for controls could be limited. Don't think there's much north of Inverness open overnight. Dingwall Tesco is open till midnight, or Tain till 10pm.

DIYxGPS is the solution to this problem.

« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2021, 04:01:28 pm »
You could do 2 200s from Aviemore, Steve Carroll ran a few from Newtonmore. One went north to the Moray coast and back, and another NW then down to Spean Bridge and back north via Laggan. Gives you the option of a stop in Aviemore halfway if you join the 2 up for a 400😁

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:20:44 pm »
Forsinard ststion is always open iirc, but lacking in refreshments.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:15:52 pm »
I'd agree, go north if you want scenery and quiet roads. Midgies are not too bad on the east coast. Just avoid the NC500 which is full of idiots...

Maybe up to Inverness, then Black Isle, Cromarty ferry (check the timetable), Portmahomack, Dornoch, Lairg. Then back by Ardgay, Alness, Dingwall.
Could do another loop around south side of Loch Ness, Fort Augustus and back, though is a bit of a hill up and down.

Had a play around with this suggestion, and came up with the following route (which I think should be viewable): Aviemore 400k. Are there any glaring errors in terms of roads that aren't safe / fit for cycling, or any obvious improvements I could make?

Given there's no good time to start a 400k, I was thinking of getting a few hours sleep then a 3 or 4am start, which should see me at the ferry when it's running (8am-6pm). I'd then look to make a late stop in Inverness (Tescos on route open until midnight) to stock up with provisions for the last 100k, where there's basically nothing.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:28:08 pm »
Might need to Nick that some day.

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2021, 09:09:16 am »
Might need to Nick that some day.

Count me in.

« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:19:21 pm »
The ferry would be my concern I’ve heard it runs to its own timetable .Probably worth checking with them the day before.

« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2021, 11:13:16 pm »
The ferry seems fairly reliable nowadays. Does get cancelled occasionally due to strong winds or weird tides etc. Worth checking their Facebook or Twitter for any updates (Highland Ferries).

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:46:25 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies and assistance, I'll definitely double check the ferry is running before setting off, and will not be riding unless it's a decent day weather-wise (the ferry not running would turn it into more like a 500k!). Assume there are no obvious bad roads that I'd be better avoiding (I did have a look on streetview at the couple of sections of the A9 that are unavoidable, and it seems there are either cyclepaths, or a decent amount of space and good sightlines).

I'll try to report back on how it goes assuming I get to ride  :thumbsup: