Author Topic: Audax GPS Mapping  (Read 5717 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Audax GPS Mapping
« on: 22 June, 2012, 12:36:14 am »
Oh my ?

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/

I guess its up to date ?

Just so much going on here

What are we using for audax mainly, and what do you use for general use ?

Ive heard about something called 'Strava and Edmondo ? They appear to be missing for the above audax page ?

Sorry for the questions. Its all new for me :/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Audax GPS Mapping
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
Speaking as the author, yes that page and the linked articles (top left) is up to date and still being expanded, though I can't speak for all the linked external sites (towards the bottom of the page) obviously.

However most of the detailed articles refer specifically to the Garmin Etrex Legend/Vista and so are only applicable in more general terms to other types especially the more modern ones.  In that respect it is slowly falling out of date. There are only a few articles specific to what I call the 'new' Garmin types (which all have a characteristic 'boxy' main menu style), but future additions will obviously concentrate on these.

From looking around at audax mass starts, I would say that the majority of cycling GPS users are using one or other Edge model.  Informed opinion on this forum would point to the greatly superior battery runtime of the Etrex types (50 hours has been seen, on a single pair of lithium AAs) and easy replacement of AAs.  The Edge by contrast has limited runtime and no replacement possible.  However it can run on external power and plenty of people are happy with this solution for longer events.
In terms of accuracy, usability and facilities, there's no real difference either way.  Big box, small box, is the choice.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2012, 04:32:21 pm »
Speaking as an Etrex user, I found those pages absolutely fantastic and showed me things I would never have found in a month of Sundays, so thankyou very much FF.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2012, 09:35:41 am »
Hi Francis

Excellent  work. Im slowly getting to grips with GPS.

My only problem I have now is downloading GPX zipped files from audax (Bikely) using Garmin Connect ?

Could be my laptop, that has issues ?  It took me several attempts downloading the Garmin Connect plugin of what I now have working. 

Is Garmin connect the only way getting routes on my device ?

Thanks

John

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2012, 11:33:20 am »
That might depend on what GPS you have and what OS on your PC.  And I'm not sure (from memory) that Bikely supports direct transfer via Connect?

Anyway a zipped file won't work direct to the GPS via Garmin Connect.  Just download it to your computer (you don't need the GPS connected) and unzip it, then you have the resulting .GPX file to deal with.

With a new model GPS all you have to do is connect it to the PC so it is seen as an external drive (you don't need Connect or any other software for this) and copy the GPX file to the appropriate place (see manual but often it goes inside a /Garmin/GPX/ folder which should already be there).  Don't forget to 'unmount' or 'eject' the Garmin before disconnecting.  Reboot once or twice and the file contents should become available under the GPS 'Where To' menu.

With an older model GPS you should have software that came with it (Trip & Waypoint Manager), that will enable you to connect (Win only) and transfer the contents of a GPX file (not the file itself).
Failing that a last resort might be to upload the GPX file to BikeHike and then straight away 'download route' to GPS using Connect.  There are several download options and only one will be optimum for the file in question.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
Thanks Francis

Ah, BikeHike :)

I'll give that a go when I have some time, sounds promising. I've spent about 6 hours already trying things out. This was one of the reasons I have always avoided the GPS way for my audaxing. I suppose Im at the point of no return now :-D

Thanks again for all the help :)

John

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
It's a learning curve, no doubt about that.
But worth it, for audax, IMO - because audax isn't about navigation skills (it's not orienteering, nor treasure-hunting), it's only about the mind and body doing the hard miles kms. 
And, once you've cracked it, GPS makes navigation very simple and saves a lot of time on the road.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2012, 01:27:33 pm »
- because audax isn't about navigation skills (it's not orienteering, nor treasure-hunting),

Ha ha ha.

Well it has been since GPS came along.

I was almost expecting GPS to be banned from audax years back :-D

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:01:53 pm »
Hi Francis

Ive just tried the 'Bikehike' idea. Another hour of my life wasted on the learning curve of GPS

Well it appears to have worked though only  using Selected file type 'tcx' to download onto my Garmin device.

I downloaded one of Sheila's / Mikes old peak AAA 100's. Mid Peak I think from Marple ?

I give it a go this weekend maybe see if it works out OK ?

Thanks again

John :-)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2012, 04:41:59 pm »
I don't know the origin of that particular file (Mid Peak Permanent GPX) but it's a good example of the pratfalls that some Organisers lay for the unwary, when posting GPX for download.

It's a single Track with 1163 points.  If loaded into my GPS, this wouldn't work - or rather, it would work for about the first 40km and then stop.   You have downloaded as TCX which means BikeHike has converted it into a 'Course' for you.  A Course is Garmin's helpful way of adding to the "which do I use, Track or Route?" conundrum - rather than answer that question, they've added a 3rd option.  :facepalm:
Fortunately your Edge is one of the few GPS models that knows what to do with a Course.  Whether it can handle one of 1163 points I don't know (not an Edge expert).  Very likely you'll be lucky!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2012, 06:49:20 pm »
Ive just tried the 'Bikehike' idea. Another hour of my life wasted on the learning curve of GPS
Surely not wasted if you've learnt something.

...but it's a good example of the pratfalls that some Organisers lay for the unwary, when posting GPX for download.

It's a single Track with 1163 points...
My preference is for raw recorded tracklogs.  This allows you to edit them into separate tracks and then reduce each track to a number of trackpoints your device won't choke on.  However, any GPS route/track/tracklog/course is better than nothing, and I wouldn't complain about any format.  They all have a sequence of lat/long's which can be converted to another form using readily available tools, and you can even use XSLT as a last resort.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:31:07 am »
My preference is for raw recorded tracklogs.

Me too (well actually I prefer generated ones).  The point I meant to make is that downloadable GPX files (from whatever source) rarely include any documentation, for example to explain that they may need further processing before use - and (to judge by this forum) are so often simply taken on trust by the person using them.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Re: Audax GPS Mapping
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:43:31 pm »
The point I meant to make is that downloadable GPX files (from whatever source) rarely include any documentation, for example to explain that they may need further processing before use - and (to judge by this forum) are so often simply taken on trust by the person using them.

It's tricksy.

I tend to simply post a gpx with a single 'raw' track on the basis this is the basic standard, but this catches out etrex users with a 500 point limit. So then I started splitting large tracks into 500 point lumps but this can catch out edge users who can only find the first segment. 

The problem is as DD says that either many riders simply take the gpx 'on trust' or simply lack the wherewithal / 'nous to load the gpx into a viewer to see what theyve got. They only find out they've got a problem on.the road.

It occur to me the simple solution, as far as gpx files linked to auk cal/perm events is concerned, is to include a 'readme' file in the downloadable zip file, advising riders exactly what is in the gpx.