Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2457943 times)

Toady

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6250 on: 26 March, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
A really lovely looking bike. 

My only aesthetic quibble would be the stem.  Dumb question:  Is it possible, with modern threadless headsets to get anything prettier than the lumpy column and spacers.  A nice elegant GB quill stem would be so pretty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6251 on: 27 March, 2013, 01:24:33 am »
Cheers, comedy off roading I'm familiar with both as term and activity (I rather like the look of the Tan Hill path), but didn't connect it with the abbreviation.

The YACF northern contingent seem to do it so frequently that an abbreviation was required.

Nikki will be along in a minute to ask if that means we're northern.   ;D

« Reply #6252 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:20:39 am »
I was born and bred in/around Southampton: it's all North from there.

And yes, the amount of Midlands-based YACF COR I've experienced in the last 6 months or so would seem to support that  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6253 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:59:55 am »
Comedy off road, usually undertaken on mildly inappropriate bikes.

If anyone in the eastern regions fancies comedy off-roading on mildly (or even wholly) inappropriate bikes just let us know  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6254 on: 29 March, 2013, 06:15:42 am »

I has a DY that fits me!!!

. . . and unfinished business with the 'Roses' . . .  :demon:

That's a mile eating monster if ever there was one  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6255 on: 30 March, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »

I has a DY that fits me!!!

. . . and unfinished business with the 'Roses' . . .  :demon:

That's a mile eating monster if ever there was one  :thumbsup:

I did the Thursday night pub ride on it. Boy is it fast! Fast, but stable, not twitchy like the Ridley. I can see me covering lots of miles on this!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6256 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:14:20 am »
Nostalgia+1

Taken for a short 7 mile test ride while swapping the rental car for the newly refurbished wheels this morning.

A Dave Russell in Columbus SL, newly repainted.

First time using downtube levers for at least a year - those Simplex Retrofrictions really are the canine's appendages (never had some before - Retrofrictions that is!).

Plan to go a bit further when it warms up this afternoon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6257 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:54:00 am »
Cool.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #6258 on: 06 April, 2013, 02:44:11 pm »
Latest acquisition (is for girlfriend, not me):

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #6259 on: 06 April, 2013, 03:40:08 pm »
Ah I have one of those at the back of the garage somewhere.....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6260 on: 06 April, 2013, 05:04:54 pm »
Latest acquisition (is for girlfriend, not me):

i hope your capable hands will turn it into a safe bike :D

tiermat

« Reply #6261 on: 06 April, 2013, 05:25:15 pm »
As LG will be able to tell you, those types of frames make great looking ladies fixies!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #6262 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:45:25 pm »

That looks lovely.  If it were mine I'd fit a tan leather saddle with matching bar tape (and lose the pump for a blingy and tiny Lezyne).

Love the tricolore downtube...I may copy that one day.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #6263 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

Photo0103 by JuanM58, on Flickr

The Viscount frame powder coated in Distant Blue and built up and, as far as these things ever are, finished!. As the frame is the only Viscount bit remaining I decided to badge this as a 'Phoenix' as it is built from Phoenix 1027 tubing and has arisen phoenix-like from the gash bins of the nation. So decals made up to suit the on the downtube with 'The Eclectic' in gold script on the top tube. The spec is broadly that which I was running last summer, Roberts front fork, Stronglight chainset through YST threadless BB, one SA and one Cyclo hub with Mavic Open something rims, Campag 980 rear mech with Campag friction shifters, Weinmann callipers, 500 front, 730 rear, B17N saddle. Changes for this year Cinelli stem with Giro d'Italia bars, Mafac levers, Gran Sport front mech and a six speed Shimano block. I haven't got a head badge as yet but I rather fancy making one up with a phoenix rising from a firey dustbin.

And it's a cracking little bike to ride; I used it quite a lot last year including on the Mildenhall WARTY and a high speed underwater dash back to Marco's in Ely - around 80 miles for the day. I am very impressed with the frame, it feels taut but supple and gives a very comfortable ride - I thought that the Roberts fork would have made it harsh but it feels great, both for a quick flip round for an hour on a summer evening after work and for longer day rides. I'm looking forward to racking up a few miles over the summer. The picture was taken during this afternoon's shakedown run, everything felt fine from the off and the only adjustment made during the 20 mile run was to raise the saddle height by half an inch. Many thanks to everyone who helped with parts and and advice for this project...and apologies if this sounds a bit smug!

« Reply #6264 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:58:54 pm »

Photo0103 by JuanM58, on Flickr

The Viscount frame powder coated in Distant Blue and built up and, as far as these things ever are, finished!. As the frame is the only Viscount bit remaining I decided to badge this as a 'Phoenix' as it is built from Phoenix 1027 tubing and has arisen phoenix-like from the gash bins of the nation. So decals made up to suit the on the downtube with 'The Eclectic' in gold script on the top tube. The spec is broadly that which I was running last summer, Roberts front fork, Stronglight chainset through YST threadless BB, one SA and one Cyclo hub with Mavic Open something rims, Campag 980 rear mech with Campag friction shifters, Weinmann callipers, 500 front, 730 rear, B17N saddle. Changes for this year Cinelli stem with Giro d'Italia bars, Mafac levers, Gran Sport front mech and a six speed Shimano block. I haven't got a head badge as yet but I rather fancy making one up with a phoenix rising from a firey dustbin.

And it's a cracking little bike to ride; I used it quite a lot last year including on the Mildenhall WARTY and a high speed underwater dash back to Marco's in Ely - around 80 miles for the day. I am very impressed with the frame, it feels taut but supple and gives a very comfortable ride - I thought that the Roberts fork would have made it harsh but it feels great, both for a quick flip round for an hour on a summer evening after work and for longer day rides. I'm looking forward to racking up a few miles over the summer. The picture was taken during this afternoon's shakedown run, everything felt fine from the off and the only adjustment made during the 20 mile run was to raise the saddle height by half an inch. Many thanks to everyone who helped with parts and and advice for this project...and apologies if this sounds a bit smug!

Is it me or are the forks bent?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6265 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »
I thought that as well - but looking closer I think it's just taper of the tubing. Wonderful looking bike anyway!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6266 on: 14 April, 2013, 09:08:44 pm »
Yes they are bent, although the proper term is "raked".  ;)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #6267 on: 15 April, 2013, 08:47:12 am »
The tops of the fork legs do have a sort swell at the front that makes it look bent – I thought the same when I first built it up last year; the rear of the top of the fork leg is straight. Both legs are the same so I assume that this is intentional – that Mr Roberts knows what he’s doing! Like most of the bike, the fork came from someone’s shed clearout – he had upgraded to a carbon fork a few years ago and it was like that when I got it. Whatever, it seems to work pretty well!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6268 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:21:34 am »
nicely restored bike Juan. it looks like the fork have taken some frontal impact in the past, but this can easily be remedied by turning them around and gently riding in to a wall few times (seriously!). if still in doubt, just send this photo to roberts to get their view on this.
i like the way the bottle is attached, but without rear mudguard riding through the puddle/muddy patch, whatever is on the road will end up a on water bottle nozzle.
oh, and the rear brake blocks could be raised a tad higher :)

tiermat

« Reply #6269 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:24:44 am »
To my eye the gap between the trailing edge of the tyre and the downtube seems wrong.  The forks being the wrong colour would have been a giveaway but you mention you got them from someone else, so maybe a red herring.  It might be worth trying a different set of forks, if you have any, just to see.  Having said that, if it rides ok and there are no strange noises, then just enjoy it!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #6270 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:28:25 pm »

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #6271 on: 15 April, 2013, 12:37:25 pm »
I have the original steel forks, powder coated the same colour. These have a much more relaxed geometry; it does suffer from toe overlap with the Roberts fork but that’s really only an issue when manoeuvring at low speed. I don’t think the fork is bent, there are no obvious signs like cracked paint, but it doesn’t seem to effect the handling or the ride so…I have some shorty mudguards that I may fit but I fear that won’t stop the top of the bottle being sprayed, so I need a solution for that – poly bag over the top probably. A few minor tweaks over the coming evenings – I might roll those bars forward a little looking at the pic, and I should be nicely set up for a longer run at the weekend - and thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6272 on: 16 April, 2013, 02:07:39 am »
I'd like to see the bike against a plain background to give it less to reference against but my little BRANE is saying that those forks are somewhat oddly raked, to say the least . . .

Come to think of it I would like to see the forks themselves laid flat on a glass surface or similar  - something known to be flat anyway - again for reference.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6273 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:36:36 am »
I took a copy of the picture and extended the line of the front and rear of the headtube to the hub. The forks do appear to bend backwards at the crown and then rake forward. The result being that the hub is just forward of the line of the front of the headtube.

For about 2 years as a teenager I rode a bike that the previous owner had ridden head on into an oncoming cyclist, the forks had been bent but not to the point of negative rake and I never had a problem with them. Eventually I grew out of the bike and got fed up of breaking rear spokes with the weight of panniers whilst touring.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #6274 on: 16 April, 2013, 08:17:42 pm »
I think I'll just rename it the Uri Geller owing to the illusion of bent forks.