Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2458873 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6725 on: 18 November, 2013, 09:06:08 am »
That is a lovely looking bike Hulvers.

"Down Jealousy, down boy!!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6726 on: 21 November, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
Winter shopping bike - salt already on roads - so I figure LSD paint job is best

Schwalbe Winter studded tyres broken in and ready - yee ha!

GT Karakoram '92 by obswerve, on Flickr

« Reply #6727 on: 21 November, 2013, 08:58:01 pm »
Slope; has anyone ever told you that your bike has a very pleasing symmetry about it.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6728 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »
Slope; has anyone ever told you that your bike has a very pleasing symmetry about it.

No, you're the first  :)

It's a series of accidents

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6729 on: 21 November, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »
Winter shopping bike - salt already on roads - so I figure LSD paint job is best

Schwalbe Winter studded tyres broken in and ready - yee ha!

GT Karakoram '92 by obswerve, on Flickr
Lots of lovely stuff going on there. That back brake is especially interesting. Is it original, and is it any good?

FYI, if you're ever interested in a set of campy cantis with matching flat bar levers, I might be able to help.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6730 on: 22 November, 2013, 07:00:29 am »
The rear brake is the stock U-brake. Heavy but good for heel clearance. Different braze-ons to cantilevers, obviously.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6731 on: 22 November, 2013, 08:02:24 am »

Lots of lovely stuff going on there. That back brake is especially interesting. Is it original, and is it any good?

FYI, if you're ever interested in a set of campy cantis with matching flat bar levers, I might be able to help.

As LWB ^ said, original Shimano DX U brake = pile of industrial inelegant junk really, but works with some effort (possibly because it's mis-married to a modern V brake lever?)

Thanks for the Campag canti + lever offer, but I don't DO cantilever brakes no more :D I would however be interested in another pair of Campag thumbshifters. Centaur or Olympus rear mech as well as another Centaur chainset :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6732 on: 22 November, 2013, 08:12:03 am »
U-brakes matched to the correct lever (preferably 3 or 4 finger) work quite nicely. V-brake levers mean a stopping power reduction.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6733 on: 22 November, 2013, 08:38:20 am »
U-brakes matched to the correct lever (preferably 3 or 4 finger) work quite nicely. V-brake levers mean a stopping power reduction.

Yeah but non matching brake levers would alter my kosmik energy, leave alone fuck with the symmetry :o  God is the most powerful back brake anyhow O:-)

« Reply #6734 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:13:20 am »
You can get SRAM levers with adjustable leverage*, so they'd be matching but you might be able to set them up asymmetrically to work better.  Not sure I'd bother since it's only the back brake though.  It's probably easier just to buy another V-brake.

* Speed Dial 7 is the most straightforward.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6735 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:24:39 am »
A V-brake won't fit on U-brake braze-ons.

« Reply #6736 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:27:43 am »
Ah, I hadn't realised that.  :-[

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6737 on: 23 November, 2013, 08:39:13 am »
The rear brake is the stock U-brake. Heavy but good for heel clearance. Different braze-ons to cantilevers, obviously.
Completely new to me. I hadn't spotted that the braze-ons were higher up.

Thanks for the Campag canti + lever offer, but I don't DO cantilever brakes no more :D I would however be interested in another pair of Campag thumbshifters. Centaur or Olympus rear mech as well as another Centaur chainset :thumbsup:
Sorry - can't help.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #6738 on: 25 November, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »

Still using the same bike I got off bloomers on here but I've changed a bit or two here and there . Still not convinced I like the aesthetic of the wheels but I'm pretty happy with how it looks

Still hankering over a pair of ksyriums with the silver bits between the spokies

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #6739 on: 26 November, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »

Still using the same bike I got off bloomers on here but I've changed a bit or two here and there . Still not convinced I like the aesthetic of the wheels but I'm pretty happy with how it looks

Still hankering over a pair of ksyriums with the silver bits between the spokies

Very nice Finch but would look better with the Ksyrium elites  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6740 on: 27 November, 2013, 12:32:21 am »

Very nice Finch but would look better with the Ksyrium elites  :thumbsup:

I can put my hands on a pair of SSLs with new bearings in for £notalot . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6741 on: 27 November, 2013, 08:54:30 am »
Bikeys:

Roadie.  £250 secondhand bargain to which I have just added some even-more-bargain wheels.  Cost less than the brakes on my other bikes, yet has done miles and miles and miles since I picked it up at the end of the summer. 

XC trail bike - rides everywhere, albeit sluggishly without a bit of gravity to help.  Wishing I had waited a year and got slightly bigger wheels.

Favourite bike - comes with me to work and has been to many places, urban and rural. 

Downhill bike - new frame, just getting him set up, but now feels amazing. 

Does not play well with others

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6742 on: 27 November, 2013, 11:20:22 am »
Lovely bikes. Perhaps you'd like to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReqNYT2bkcI on the new down-hiller!!!!!!

No Sir! Not for me. Scary stuff.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6743 on: 27 November, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
Just watching him bounce over all those steps gives me a headache! Beautiful place.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6744 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:07:52 pm »
Prepare the mind bleach!

Noooo!  I've just taken delivery of some Midge bars and wanted to look at your photo to see how you've got them set up!  Put the photo back where it belongs!!!

« Reply #6745 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »
I can still see it.

I'll dig it out and post again, photobucket mobile is broken on my iPad and iPhone.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6746 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »
I can still see it.

I'll dig it out and post again, photobucket mobile is broken on my iPad and iPhone.

:thumbsup:   :-*

« Reply #6747 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »
As promised :)

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6748 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:35:07 pm »
Perfect, thanks very much, can't wait to get them set up.  Does anyone have a few hours they can lend me, all mine seem to be used up at the moment  ::-)

« Reply #6749 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
It won't take long to fit them and swap stuff over. What shifters are you using?