Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2458111 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7825 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:14:33 am »
Nice work, RZ.

Is your shed a bit wonky?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7826 on: 08 August, 2015, 11:16:50 am »
Lovely job, Roger!
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7827 on: 08 August, 2015, 11:21:25 am »
Is your shed a bit wonky?

That's a bit personal isn't it?!?  >:(

;D

« Reply #7828 on: 08 August, 2015, 11:53:48 am »
Sorry. I couldn't see any slackness in the chain and had nowhere left to go. I panicked!  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7829 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
But going for a man's shed ...!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7830 on: 08 August, 2015, 11:47:45 pm »
nice brompton; i wonder if they will ever start building their bikes using current age components and materials - i could be tempted by one!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7831 on: 09 August, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »
There's a disappointingly steady trickle of updated parts on Bromptons.  As of 2013 they've got chainsets and brake levers worked out, for example.

But that's not really the point:  They have the best fold and aren't made of cheese.  Everything else is a bonus.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7832 on: 12 August, 2015, 03:11:36 pm »
New bars and stem to get more height and a longer reach + mudguards fitted.

IMG_2624 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_2622 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_2626 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #7833 on: 12 August, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »
Apollo has a new bike

It is a norco indie 8 speed hub geared hybrid . fitted with mudguards rack and lights ☺
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #7834 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:17:23 pm »
That's a sensible looking bike.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7835 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:51:41 am »
I felt that a hub gear would be easier for Apollo to cope with  :) .it should prove to be easier to maintain as well .bonus  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7836 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:34:37 pm »
A couple of contrasting yet purposeful bikes there.
Getting there...

« Reply #7837 on: 13 August, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »
New bars and stem to get more height and a longer reach + mudguards fitted.

IMG_2624 by ian, on Flickr

Is that a very short top tube (hence longer reach comment)?

Or is it just a long way away?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7838 on: 14 August, 2015, 09:34:26 am »
22.5", I had a 13cm stem but was banging my knees on the bars so swapped it with a 15cm. The raised height is much more comfortable (I can't get into the 'race position' like I used to), but the reach feels too long - maybe it was the bend of the Noodley's that was wrong?

« Reply #7839 on: 14 August, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
Fairly typical length, then. Must just be my eyesight!

A very nice, tidy bike  :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7840 on: 17 August, 2015, 03:48:37 pm »
The Long Unridden Mountain Bike and the Severn Vale.

I confused myself, thinking of the rules of the Fully Loaded Touring Bike thread!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7841 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »
Is that Haresfield Beacon?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7842 on: 23 August, 2015, 08:01:55 pm »
New toy:

bTwin Rockrider 560 - reduced to £399 in the sale at Decathlon (you might still be able to get one if you're a giant or a dwarf).  I've added an adjustable stem, swapped the cranks for XT to get 165mm length,  added an M:Part skewer-mounted rear rack (with a mudguard that I formed under the grill from a bit of 1.5mm ABS sheet, and the Excellent Infini Rear Light from the folding BSO) and an SKS front mudguard, cut the bars down by 30mm each side and added cheap Chinese Ergon-clone grips[1].  Oh, and a proper BG saddle - the stock one was almost as nasty as that Islabikes thing SmallestCub uses   :hand:

It's surprisingly good off-road.  Suspension and hydraulic disc brakes hasn't been invented when I last rode mountain bikes, so the improvement from those is dramatic, and of course the tyres are knobbly enough to be reassuring on mud.  But I wasn't expecting it to be so much faster than my hybrid when confronted with loose gravel.  It blats along towpaths at 15mph with about the same amount of effort as it needs on tarmac.  The beautifully low 3x10 Deore/SLX gearing meant I could winch up the Ackers Sisyphus Slalom with several gears to spare.  So this afternoon's quick shakedown ride to fettle the bar position accidentally turned into a muddy 20 miler, in spite of the rain and random sexual harassment from the local wildlife.  I'd forgotten how much fun sensible off-roading could be.

(Mental note: invest in water bottle with lid)

ETA: Photo updated to show extended rear mudguard.

[1] These are an improvement over the stock grips, which are designed to catch hair as you fettle anything in the vicinity of the front wheel, and then pull it out painfully when you stand up.  I'm not sure I like the bar-ends though.

« Reply #7843 on: 23 August, 2015, 08:06:51 pm »
very nice Kim :thumbsup:

you'll be getting all dirty now ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7844 on: 24 August, 2015, 12:46:24 am »
you'll be getting all dirty now ;D

Yup.   :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7845 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:49:45 am »
Nice. Apart from the front mudguard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7846 on: 24 August, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »
Nice. Apart from the front mudguard.

Obviously mountain bike mudguards are inherently fugly, being designed to - in order of priority:
a) fit around the bouncy bits
b) not clog with mud or jam the wheel
c) keep the headset dry
d) stop the front half of the rider being splattered in poo, at least from the knee upwards[1]

or alternatively, for the other popular front mudguard design:
a) keep the manufacturer's logo on the downtube clean
b) erm, that's it

That aside, it's a pretty good example of the species, being a much higher quality than the type usually found on BSOs.  The mounting is secure (or at least it is thanks to the addition of a bit of inner tube as a shim on the expansion plug), features a quick-release for ease of car transport, and the plastic is a lot less bendy than you'd expect.  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-shockblade-ii-front-mudguard/rp-prod104735

It's the DIY one at the back that needs work.  While integrating with the rack is neat and avoids the worst of the badger-stripe effect, it doesn't stick out far enough to the rear to prevent hilarious accumulation of mud on top of the rack bag.  I'll make a 'tail' to attach to the light mount...

[1] If you're going mountain biking you're going to get muddy legs at a minimum.  If nothing else, from the bits where you get off the bike.  If it's less technical, I can use the hybrid with its much more competent mudguards.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7847 on: 24 August, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »
I agree, Kim, and it was a criticism of MTB mudguard design rather than your mudguard selection and fettling abilities. If I'd wanted to criticise those I'd have said something like, 'Nice bike, Kim, but sort that fugly mudguard out before you dare show it here again,' where 'sort out' would be a euphemism for 'incinerate'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7848 on: 24 August, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
I agree, Kim, and it was a criticism of MTB mudguard design rather than your mudguard selection and fettling abilities. If I'd wanted to criticise those I'd have said something like, 'Nice bike, Kim, but sort that fugly mudguard out before you dare show it here again,' where 'sort out' would be a euphemism for 'incinerate'.

Best tool for the job, and all that.  It is at least on a mountain bike.  It's MTB mudguards on road-going bikes that are a crime against humanity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7849 on: 24 August, 2015, 03:45:58 pm »
If you are not planning to ride in the sort of mud that requires poking with sticks to allow the wheels to turn then ordinary SKS guards for fat tyres are entirely adequate albeit that some bodging may be required to fit the front one to a boingy fork.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime