Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2457835 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2000 on: 12 September, 2009, 08:58:31 pm »
It probably floats.
Getting there...

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2001 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:15:29 pm »
Hi,
Dribble purchased from a member here, its my first road bike and I absolutely love it....both road riding and the bike (always mtb'ing previously).  Great bloke I bought it from too and told me about this place. 

So I plan to build up the fitness over the coming year or so, and providing the interest remains high, I'll sell the MTB and invest a little more money, but for now I'm just loving the Ribble and the lycra.......

Newbie lycra lover

« Reply #2002 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »
What on earth are you doing on that?  Iditabike?

It's an alternative to my mtb so it will be doing some pretty hardcore stuff. The tyres are 2.3 nevegals, they're a bit big but the 2.0s haven't arrived yet. It'll also have some studs on when winter arrives.

I've just tried another set of wheels on it with Marathons because it'll also be a tourer when the cold arrives. It doesn't look so scary with those on  ;D

I think even traffic may move over when they see this coming  :o

Tom, it can't ride wherever because the bloody gear cable has just snapped and I haven't got a spare until tomorrow, so it's not unstoppable  :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2003 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:44:18 pm »
Help how do you attach pictures? I have tried insert image button but all I get is this; [img][img]

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2004 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »
Help how do you attach pictures? I have tried insert image button but all I get is this;

Looks like you're copy and pasting from your PC?

First you need to have your pictures online somewhere like Flickr.

Then select the image in Flickr (or wherever) right click and  choose "copy image address" or your browser's equivalent.
Code: [Select]
then in between the [img] and [/img] paste the address.

« Reply #2005 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:52:40 pm »
The monster peregrine.

I do like that bike  :)

Moose57

« Reply #2006 on: 12 September, 2009, 10:05:49 pm »
Help how do you attach pictures? I have tried insert image button but all I get is this;

Looks like you're copy and pasting from your PC?

First you need to have your pictures online somewhere like Flickr.

Then select the image in Flickr (or wherever) right click and  choose "copy image address" or your browser's equivalent.
Code: [Select]
then in between the [img] and [/img] paste the address.
Thanks got it sorted now.

Moose57

« Reply #2007 on: 13 September, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »

My first road bike a Trek Pilot now almost 3 years old, mainly used on runs with CTC and sportives and audax.

My second bike a Ribble now almost a year old, bought as a winter/audax bike complete with mudguards but now mainly used on club runs and possibly to be converted for time trials.
Oh dear going to have to buy another bike now for club runs and maybe a steel frame bike for touring, need a bigger house!!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2008 on: 13 September, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »
Must be a tad uncomfortable with that bird box on your Ribble's saddle?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Moose57

« Reply #2009 on: 13 September, 2009, 03:08:32 pm »
Must be a tad uncomfortable with that bird box on your Ribble's saddle?

It's for the homing pidgeons, just in case I break down.

fuzzy

« Reply #2010 on: 14 September, 2009, 09:37:52 am »
The monster peregrine. I just need to add Brooks honey grips. lots more close ups on my blog link below. Currently running 2.35 nevegals .

I could SO use this bike as a hard core Gene Hunt stylee Patrol Steed :thumbsup:

« Reply #2011 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:04:01 am »
I could SO use this bike as a hard core Gene Hunt stylee Patrol Steed

Wonderful, isn't it! Would you worry about getting it nicked, or does that not happen to police bikes?  ;) Are you allowed to buy your own or do you have to go with what's provided?

fuzzy

« Reply #2012 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:23:19 am »
I could SO use this bike as a hard core Gene Hunt stylee Patrol Steed

Wonderful, isn't it! Would you worry about getting it nicked, or does that not happen to police bikes?  ;) Are you allowed to buy your own or do you have to go with what's provided?

Yes I would worry about it getting nicked, hence carrying a decent lock on all patrol rides. They do get stolen occasionaly, though not often. I have always used bikes provided by the Force or, more accurately, bikes I have acquired for the Force- to ensure I got something useable as opposed to their idea of satisfactory, which usually described a £200 BSO which i would need to replace every 6 weeks or so cos I killed it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2013 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:26:02 am »
Yeah, I've been disappointed by the standard of Police/PCSO bikes I've seen.  I mean, you wouldn't put a car patrol officer in a Daewoo Matiz, would you?  I think that bike Police should have something light but strong (bearing in mind the amount of kit carried) so they can ride round all day, but give serious chase when needed without having to be Cavendish.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #2014 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:35:43 am »
The bikes are out there. it is just a case of getting the Bean Counters to see sense. Too many decision makers think a £200-£300 bike is all we need. In some cases, these machines are appropriate e.g. beat officer just using it to get from a to b, or the PCSO who should not really be getting involved in rough stuff. For the more dedicated bike team, or beat officer who uses the bike as a policing tool- tactical patrols, hotspot patrols, disruption of drugs areas etc. money needs to be spent at the outset. £1000 spent on a good bike will result in that bike lasting 3 or 4 years as opposed to £300 being spent every 4 months or so because the bike has been ridden into the ground.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2015 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:47:01 am »
Cheap Costs Double
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #2016 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:47:59 am »

« Reply #2017 on: 14 September, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »
Gene Hunt stylee Patrol Steed :thumbsup:

Like it  :thumbsup:

though I think it'd be more of a Regan from the Sweeney

'SHUT IIITTTT'  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LEE

« Reply #2018 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:52:34 am »
The story of my British Eagle Touristique (BET) rennovation (for Fab Foodie, started on another thread and linked to this)

Bought, Harry Hall cycles in 1986 (by me) £285.

Used as a commuter, short runs, a few 50 mile charity rides and, eventualy, in 2002 on a LEJoG trip.

LEJoG got me interested in Long Distance and, after a few social rides I decided that it was worn out and invested in a Thorn Raven Tour in 2006.

The BET was hung up for 2 years and never ridden.

The Thorn got me around several Audax rides including my Super Randonneur last year but I started hankering for something a bit more sprightly.  After looking long and hard at the Thorn Audax and their MK3 I figured that I may have the perfect bike hanging up in the garage.

I stripped the bike, put the bits in a bucket of white spirit and sent the frame to Mercian Cycles with a design suggestion I did on Photoshop (and was vetted by members of the forum, ACF forum possibly).  The scheme was influenced by Richard Wareham's bike I saw on a few Audaxes.

Mercian fitted new braze-ons for cantis (that would fit 700c wheels), did the respray, lug-lined it (beautifully), new 531 transfers, lettering and stencilling plus a new headset.

When it came back after a few weeks I took the mechs out of the white spirit and rebuilt it.

I can't be happier with the re-spray, it's nicer than I imagined and much redder than any photo can recreate I think.

It's quicker than the Raven and quite lively.  It's not going to win any TTs but I think it should get me another Super Randonneur this year and I hope to use it on PBP.

Here it is in 2002 LEJoG guise.  Loch Lomond (I mistakenly thought that, because I was now in Scotland, I must be nearly there)

Here is is just before I stripped it and sent it to Mercian.  I think it looked tired after 22 years.

Here's my Photoshop design for the respray

Here's what I sent them (wheels removed)

Here's what they sent back

And here's the finished article (it now has black bar tape as per original design)

I had them immortalise it's 1986 birthday

I'm not even going to discuss what it cost me to rennovate but it wasn't so different to the original cost of the bike (I took a lot of Mercian options and £20 here, £15 there soon adds up to a lot).  It certainly didn't cost me as much as an equivalent new bike and part of the pleasure is keeping my old bike going and using it for it's intended purpose, covering lots of miles in comfort and at a decent speed.

Probably more info than Fab Foodie wanted but he has one hanging in his shed and I think the BET frameset has a reputation good enough to warrant keeping them going.

All good things come to an end I suppose.  I just wish it had done this before I spent all that money on it.

And so it begins again (Sings "The circle of Liiiife....")

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2019 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
^^^  I've got one of them, so have a few people here and I've seen quite a few around.  Nice frame and forks, and excellent value.  You've made a very good purchase. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2020 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:25:33 am »
It's not quite as red... ;)
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2021 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:27:12 am »

It's got a definite blue tint

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2022 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:37:15 am »

It's got a definite blue tint

It's a lovely blue, probably the nicest frame colour I've seen.  The paint job isn't the most robust I've come across but I'm not bothered given the price.  I will just get mine re-sprayed in a few years if it gets too tatty. 

Ribble don't sell touch up paint.  According to them Ford Focus RS blue is a good match.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #2023 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:57:36 am »
All good things come to an end I suppose.  I just wish it had done this before I spent all that money on it.

How long after the rebuild was that? You must have been gutted  :(

LEE

« Reply #2024 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:58:57 am »
18 15 months