Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2458295 times)

border-rider

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2850 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
What are the bars on that? Maybe the photo but they look like very long bullhorns!

Profile Stoker bars + tribars.

border-rider

« Reply #2851 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »
Though the forks look too skinny....

Possibly, but they improve the ride and comfort a lot, and make me much less worried about dying.

« Reply #2852 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:52:57 pm »
Greetings, earthlings!  :D

Here's the result of a recent little project that I've enjoyed building - my new commuter....

border-rider

« Reply #2853 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »
Sure you have sufficient lighting power there ?

:o

« Reply #2854 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:59:03 pm »
I have a very dangerous, lightly trafficked commute, and I need it!

I have an Edison on the head too so I can see round bends and watch for deer etc........

« Reply #2855 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »
Bit underspecced for a commuter if you ask me.

That rear derailleur cable outer is a bit short too..   :P

« Reply #2856 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »
That's a very nice machine indeed.   Perhaps the first soot bike I've actually liked the look of.

« Reply #2857 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:13:16 pm »
Dura Ace commuter  :o
Very nice Foghat  :)

« Reply #2858 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »
I'd hate to see the spec of your Sunday best bike !  Nice piece of kit that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2859 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:21:26 pm »
Expensive commuter  :o Great kit - you're a little short on room for those 32s though!

« Reply #2860 on: 21 March, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »
Is this the frame that Pearsons have been trailing as "available soon"? It is lovely. I don't often seriously lust after a bike, but that is the exception - simply THE best bicycle I've seen for a long long time.

Envy. That's it. Pure and simple.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #2861 on: 21 March, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »
Kona updated today, switched to singlespeed 45x16 plus a new pair of Easton EA50 bars which I have trimmed down from 685 to 555 wide.

« Reply #2862 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »
Foghat,

How does it ride?
I so nearly bought one of them rather than my Enigma Etape - but the chap from Pearsons' on the phone put me off with his attitude. 

Why don't you move the Dinotte battery to the area behind the seat tube?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2863 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:26:34 pm »
Kona updated today, switched to singlespeed 45x16 plus a new pair of Easton EA50 bars which I have trimmed down from 685 to 555 wide.
Do you prefer them to straight bars?  I know risers have been the fashion for a few years, but I can't be without bar ends, and bar ends with risers are like socks and sandals.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2864 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »
Greetings, earthlings!  :D

Here's the result of a recent little project that I've enjoyed building - my new commuter....

Holy sh*it !
And I thought that I had a light fetish.
I'm an amateur.
Much respect.

Nice bike too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2865 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:08:14 pm »
Do you prefer them to straight bars?  I know risers have been the fashion for a few years, but I can't be without bar ends, and bar ends with risers are like socks and sandals.

I was never keen on them but would not switch back to flat bars now.

« Reply #2866 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »

Thanks both! Have really enjoyed conceiving and building it.

I'd hate to see the spec of your Sunday best bike !

This is actually currently my best bike!  As my commute is long and hilly, I decided I needed to save a few kilogrammes cf. the steel Roberts that's been the commuter for several years - no point in making getting to work slower than it needs to be, especially when one struggles to get to bed early enough yet has to set an example in time-keeping, and when there is safe storage for something this expensive.  My best non-mudguard bike is 12 years old though, but soon to be superseded by something slightly better than the commuter!

Is this the frame that Pearsons have been trailing as "available soon"? It is lovely. I don't often seriously lust after a bike, but that is the exception - simply THE best bicycle I've seen for a long long time.

Thanks, oncemore.  I've been riding this frame for a while now, and only recently decided to demote it to commuter.  Not sure what trails you mean, but the new version of this is available now, according to Pearsons'.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2867 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:38:16 pm »
Foghat, Chapeau!   :thumbsup:

I've never seen anyone spend the cost of a second hand Volvo on a commuting bike, FFS.  :o

Pretty obvious you're not commuting around Manchester, that wouldn't last 2 minutes in the Badlands!

'salright. I'm only jealous.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2868 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:53:46 pm »
Foghat,

How does it ride?
I so nearly bought one of them rather than my Enigma Etape - but the chap from Pearsons' on the phone put me off with his attitude. 

Why don't you move the Dinotte battery to the area behind the seat tube?

It's a thoroughly excellent ride, Grub.  I've spent a lot of time on it with Mavic Ksyrium wheels as well as these heavier commuting wheels, and it is very comfortable and smooth, no creaking.  It's much more comfortable, and I think faster, than my current Number 1 non-mudguard bike, a 12-year-old aluminium-framed 9sp Dura Ace custom-frame job.

It feels well designed, with a couple of minor flaws:

i) the forks are meant to be for deep drop sidepull brakes , but in practice the shoes are virtually at the top of the range, meaning that tyre clearance is inadequate.  The Continental Top Contact tyres state '32mm', but they are more like 28mm, but they almost touch the front of the front mudguard which cannot go any higher (the rear has better clearance).

ii) the head angle could be shallower, with more fork rake too maybe, to get more toe clearance. I'm an experienced cyclist, so don't find the toe overlap much of a problem, but if I had size 48 feet and was a novice, it could be a bit alarming.

I'm contemplating an Enigma at some point too.  I went with the Pearson because there was no lead time and the lower weight of a carbon frame.  I've only really dealt with William Pearson, who I've always found helpful, knowledgeable and affable, so maybe you just got someone on a bad day (although no real excuse for the wrong attitude to someone thinking of shelling out over £1,000).

Re. the Dinotte - I have considered putting it behind the seat tube, but thought it would probably keep slipping down to the bottle cage there, and my chosen position seems a better one for cable management as well as stability.  I may test the seat tube option, though.

« Reply #2869 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:03:19 am »
Holy sh*it !
And I thought that I had a light fetish.
I'm an amateur.
Much respect.

Nice bike too  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

My obsession with bike lighting is second only to my obsession with the music of the Grateful Dead.8)  There's an HID on 'stun' on the head too, for spotting deer etc!  I come from an era that once had to make do with Ever Ready lights and then those dreaded, and bizarrely appalling, Wonder Lights!  :hand:

But when one's commute is like mine (I expect very few face the 'extreme' night-time dangers that I do), one only ever thanks oneself for spending so much on one's safety.  And I really mean that!

« Reply #2870 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:15:57 am »
Foghat, Chapeau!   :thumbsup:

I've never seen anyone spend the cost of a second hand Volvo on a commuting bike, FFS.  :o

Pretty obvious you're not commuting around Manchester, that wouldn't last 2 minutes in the Badlands!

'salright. I'm only jealous.
Thanks, Torslanda. ;)

Indeed - I have the luxury of my own office, up a twisting staircase, in which to keep the bike.  Wouldn't leave any bike of mine unattended anywhere, though; if I had to park the commuter in a place open to riff-raff, I would have to get a stove-piper specially..... >:(

When one spends so much of one's cycling life commuting, why not make it on a decent, enjoyable, as-good-as-can-be bike if storage is safe and if distance and elevation gain are significant?  I can't be the only one....?

« Reply #2871 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:28:20 am »
Expensive commuter  :o Great kit - you're a little short on room for those 32s though!

Thanks, Sgt Pluck!

The clearance is actually fine everywhere except for the front of the front mudguard.  Here, the rubber fronds on the new tyre do brush the mudguard, but they'll disappear with a few more miles.

That said, a broken spoke could prove interesting.  Fortunately, my riding style is smoother than Gianni Bugno's or Stephen Roche's, and I've never broken a spoke in 25 years or more of cycling.  

The 32s are actually much nearer to 28s, whatever Continental decides to put on the sidewall, and their 28mm Top Contacts are actually 25s!  I'm really impressed by these Top Contacts.  Supremely comfortable at 80psi, excellent grip, rolling resistance not too bad considering size, aggressive tread and 500g weight.  Can't vouch for resistance to punctures yet, but they seem very tough and have seen a few miles of off-road.  These tyres definitely instil full winter confidence on my debris-strewn roads!

« Reply #2872 on: 22 March, 2010, 05:15:40 am »

When one spends so much of one's cycling life commuting, why not make it on a decent, enjoyable, as-good-as-can-be bike if storage is safe and if distance and elevation gain are significant?  I can't be the only one....?

No, I agree wholeheartedly.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2873 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:17:59 am »

No, I agree wholeheartedly.   :thumbsup:

+1, my 'commuter' is the best bike too.

As long as I can store it securely, I'd much rather spend the money on a bike which gets out every day than something to live in the shed.

fuzzy

« Reply #2874 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »
Expensive commuter  :o Great kit - you're a little short on room for those 32s though!

Thanks, Sgt Pluck!

The clearance is actually fine everywhere except for the front of the front mudguard.  Here, the rubber fronds on the new tyre do brush the mudguard, but they'll disappear with a few more miles.

That said, a broken spoke could prove interesting.  Fortunately, my riding style is smoother than Gianni Bugno's or Stephen Roche's, and I've never broken a spoke in 25 years or more of cycling.  

The 32s are actually much nearer to 28s, whatever Continental decides to put on the sidewall, and their 28mm Top Contacts are actually 25s!  I'm really impressed by these Top Contacts.  Supremely comfortable at 80psi, excellent grip, rolling resistance not too bad considering size, aggressive tread and 500g weight.  Can't vouch for resistance to punctures yet, but they seem very tough and have seen a few miles of off-road.  These tyres definitely instil full winter confidence on my debris-strewn roads!

My Ridgeback Tourer was specced with Top Contacts. 12 months of daily use and they show hardly any evidence of miles. No visitations either. A good, resilient tyre.

Cracking bike Foghat :thumbsup: