Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2458904 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3175 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:48:34 am »
Look at the three colour-coded spoke keys in a line. I've spent money in less well-equipped shops.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #3176 on: 25 May, 2010, 10:02:35 am »
Van Nicholas Chinook
Great looking bike Paul.Is that a ti seatpost?
Hi Grub,yes it’s a Van Nicholas ti Seatpost, all the Ti finishing kit is from Van Nicholas, seat collar, bottle cage, handlebar stem and spacers.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #3177 on: 25 May, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »
Look at the three colour-coded spoke keys in a line. I've spent money in less well-equipped shops.

And you can't see all the bigger frame prep and wheelbuilding tools concealed by the bike on the stand! :-)

I had just spent an afternoon tidying it up, it doesn't always look that organised, especially when I'm working in there!  Nice facility to have though for sure.  A beer fridge full of cold ones is probably the best feature.  Oh, and two workshop stools for "fettling planning meetings".

« Reply #3178 on: 25 May, 2010, 02:11:12 pm »
Van Nicholas Chinook
Hi Grub,yes it’s a Van Nicholas ti Seatpost, all the Ti finishing kit is from Van Nicholas, seat collar, bottle cage, handlebar stem and spacers.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Do you have trouble with it slipping or being too flexible.  The reason I ask is when I spoke to USE about their Ti seat post they did not recommend it in a ti frame.

« Reply #3179 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »

Wel dewch yma amser nesa!  Byddech chi'n croeso.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3180 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »
Spa Cycles chainset

What are these like? I assume, being effectively a Sugino, that it's the same as the Stronglight Impact? I was thinking of getting one to replace a race triple to give slightly lower gearing.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3181 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:43:26 pm »
Spa Cycles chainset

What are these like? I assume, being effectively a Sugino, that it's the same as the Stronglight Impact? I was thinking of getting one to replace a race triple to give slightly lower gearing.

It looks like a Sugino (or copy) with cheap (but robust looking) chainrings on.  For the light use it wil get on this bike it should be fine, and tbh looks up for anything.  I don't think I'd have one on my Audax bike but that's more snob factor than anything.

« Reply #3182 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:47:54 pm »
Do you have trouble with it slipping or being too flexible.  The reason I ask is when I spoke to USE about their Ti seat post they did not recommend it in a ti frame

I have the same seat-post in a Van Nicholas Yukon. I've had no trouble with it slipping or being too flexible - it's been trouble free in use.

However, a couple of criticisms of the Van Nicholas post:

-  I do not like about the post is the way it grips the rails of the saddle: very small contact areas that I am sure put tremendous strain on the saddle rails. So far the ti Brooks saddle rails have survived.

- I changed the saddle quite a few times in the beginning. I note that the titanium clamp (that holds the two parts that attach directly to the rails) has stretched over time.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3183 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:58:35 pm »

Do you have trouble with it slipping or being too flexible.  The reason I ask is when I spoke to USE about their Ti seat post they did not recommend it in a ti frame.

USE are now making a branded Sabbath one (etched branding - nice) that is now on my wish list for my Silk Road Pro but not considered flexing.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #3184 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:09:26 pm »
Do you have trouble with it slipping or being too flexible.  The reason I ask is when I spoke to USE about their Ti seat post they did not recommend it in a ti frame

I have the same seat-post in a Van Nicholas Yukon. I've had no trouble with it slipping or being too flexible - it's been trouble free in use.

However, a couple of criticisms of the Van Nicholas post:

-  I do not like about the post is the way it grips the rails of the saddle: very small contact areas that I am sure put tremendous strain on the saddle rails. So far the ti Brooks saddle rails have survived.

- I changed the saddle quite a few times in the beginning. I note that the titanium clamp (that holds the two parts that attach directly to the rails) has stretched over time.
I have a five year old Airborne Ti seatpost which is exactly the same. Never flexed or slipped. I have had no problem with the saddle rails either, as I still use the same Sella Italia Tri Flite saddle I put on when I bought the frame and had the bike build up.

« Reply #3185 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »
Spa Cycles chainset

It looks like a Sugino (or copy) with cheap (but robust looking) chainrings on.  For the light use it wil get on this bike it should be fine, and tbh looks up for anything.  I don't think I'd have one on my Audax bike but that's more snob factor than anything.

I've currently got one on my Audax bike. It seems to do the job fine; it is obviously not as nicely finished as the TA set I have (especially the rings), but it works and shifts OK. It's only been on for a few weeks, so done about 1500 problem free miles. It'll be interesting to see how long the rings last as they are a cheaper alloy than the TA ones I've been using (but then again, the whole chainset cost less than the TA outer ring alone...)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3186 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:26:36 pm »
 Nice facility to have though for sure.  A beer fridge full of cold ones is probably the best feature. 

Now you're just being cruel to us...

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #3187 on: 25 May, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »
N+1 for Mrs Tewdric!

Very lovely workshop that *jealous*
Are the speakers for an intercom so that Mrs T can call you in?

« Reply #3188 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »
Are the speakers for an intercom so that Mrs T can call you in?

They're for pumping out the AC/DC so I can't hear Mrs T calling me in!  ;D

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #3189 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:25:48 am »
Van Nicholas Chinook

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Do you have trouble with it slipping or being too flexible.  The reason I ask is when I spoke to USE about their Ti seat post they did not recommend it in a ti frame.
Regarding Van Nicholas Ti seatpins in a Van Nicholas frame I have never heard of anyone who has had problems with them slipping down; if anything they are on the tight side. Fitting the saddle can be confusing, to the extent I made some fitting instructions

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #3190 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:50:58 pm »
eck tells me this is where photies of bikes need to go, so here's my new one:

Needs a bit of tweaking yet and it's first ride - raining tonight so it ain't going out!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3191 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:04:37 pm »
Needs a bit of tweaking yet and it's first ride - raining tonight so it ain't going out!
You could always do a few laps on the boards round your new kitchen. :thumbsup:

Very, very tasty btw.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3192 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »
Riding it on the Snow Roads?

« Reply #3193 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
You could always do a few laps on the boards round your new kitchen. :thumbsup:

I did ride it from livingroom - hall - (sharp right turn) kitchen - utility room - bike store....

Seatpost needs trimmed  ;)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3194 on: 26 May, 2010, 10:24:31 pm »
That's rather nice... a clubmate turned up on a blue and white one in last week's club 10. It was my size, and I begged him to think of me first if he ever sold it.

« Reply #3195 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:50:50 pm »
Just needs some mudguards, a rack, and an adjustable stem to get those bars up a bit and it'll be perfect  :)

« Reply #3196 on: 26 May, 2010, 11:54:14 pm »
eck tells me this is where photies of bikes need to go, so here's my new one:

He didn't tell you that you are meant to take the picture in your kitchen though; then we can comment on your kitchen units too. ;)

Kitchen Pr0n

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3197 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:00:47 am »
My back has gone into spasm just looking at that bike. I'm not sure I've ever been flexible enough to ride it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3198 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:38:15 am »

Kitchen Pr0n

I wonder what could be slack . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3199 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:22:22 am »
Seat tube is indeed slack ;)
Getting there...