Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2457763 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3325 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:36:14 pm »
I have raised bed envy.  Your saddle bag needs 'aging'

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3326 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:54:37 pm »
My raised beds are only tiny.

Er, yes.  I am tempted to buy a completely beaten old Carradice off ebay.  That Barley has had a couple of outings on Butterfly's carbon fibre road bike, but is far too pristine.  Mind you, that's a brand new Brooks, too. :-[
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3327 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:01:11 pm »
Started as this a few years back:

what type of saddle is that Clarion?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3328 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:03:16 pm »
It was a Lepper.  It was also completely knackered after fifty-odd years, many of which were in a shed.

Funnily enough, the Carlton I found in a cellar which got me into cycling in 1984 also had a Lepper on it which was completely useless by the time I got the bike ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #3329 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:03:29 pm »

Er, yes.  I am tempted to buy a completely beaten old Carradice off ebay.  That Barley has had a couple of outings on Butterfly's carbon fibre road bike, but is far too pristine.  Mind you, that's a brand new Brooks, too. :-[
bury it in the raised bed for a few weeks !

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3330 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
Quote from: clarion link=topic=17.msg639202#msg 639202 date=1275926077

Er, yes.  I am tempted to buy a completely beaten old Carradice off ebay.  That Barley has had a couple of outings on Butterfly's carbon fibre road bike, but is far too pristine.  Mind you, that's a brand new Brooks, too. :-[

I thought you only used veggie Carradice products???   ;D

EDIT: just realised you've got a dead cow saddle too  :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3331 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »
Normally I do, though the Super C does come with leather straps (which I replace with nylon toestraps) and one leather fitting (for the seat tube strap, which I don't use).

For this bike, it was hard to avoid leather for accessories which went with the bike. :(
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3332 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:11:53 pm »
Normally I do, though the Super C does come with leather straps (which I replace with nylon toestraps) and one leather fitting (for the seat tube strap, which I don't use).

For this bike, it was hard to avoid leather for accessories which went with the bike. :(

Fair enough matey.  So we won't be seeing you down McDonald's then?  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3333 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
I'm no longer a vegan (I eat honey & wear wool, for example), just an aspiring one.

And the chances of seeing me in McDonalds are vanishingly small...
Getting there...

« Reply #3334 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:46:06 am »

My Dahon Mu Uno, single speed folding fun.

Bought in the snow times as a foul weather bike to train assist my stoopid east-west commute. Would heartily recommend to anyone. Anyone that would enjoy a single speed folder that is. Beauty in its simplicity. No mucky derailleur, very few cables, coaster brake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3335 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »

Very elegant!

Would heartily recommend to anyone. Anyone that would enjoy a single speed folder that is. Beauty in its simplicity. No mucky derailleur, very few cables, coaster brake.

I converted my Brompton to singlespeed, but it still has the chain tensioner. The Dahon looks so very neat by comparison. Same with Oaky's Cadenza Solo (see pic in fixed/ss thread).

Dahons may not fold as compactly as Bromptons but they're often better looking bikes unfolded.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3336 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:25:41 pm »
Lovely Dahon! Well, I must admit I rather like them in general: elegant and good rides.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gordon taylor

« Reply #3337 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:29:12 pm »

Bought in the snow times as a foul weather bike to train assist my stoopid east-west commute. Would heartily recommend to anyone. Anyone that would enjoy a single speed folder that is. Beauty in its simplicity. No mucky derailleur, very few cables, coaster brake.

That's lovely, and another bloody bike on my "wish" list.

:hand:

corshamjim

« Reply #3338 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:09:33 pm »

That Mu looks great!

I'm revamping a 2nd-hand Vitesse D7 at the moment, but it looks pants compared with your Mu.  If I had the money I'd love either one of those or a Ridgeback Attache (with hub gears).

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3339 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:08:28 am »

Here's a couple of pictures of the front end at least of my tourer. I find bull bars very comfortable and so have done this.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3340 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:15:42 am »
What bars are those? I had some Nittos but couldn't get barcons to fit 'cos of the bend at the ends.
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3341 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:19:51 am »
Looks like a good job.  Since I ride almost exclusively on the hoods these days, I am wanting to experiment with bullhorns for my commuting.  Though I am not sure they would suit me for touring.  I still want to find a nicely profiled randonneur bar for that.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3342 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:28:03 pm »
Bar choices are interesting. On my huge 25 hour ride over the weekend I used my MTB that has now been converted to road use. It has flat bars with Ergon grips and Cane Creek bar ends. I had no problems with hand, wrist or arm fatigue. I'm starting to favour this option over drops, the only down side is you can't tuck down low to battle a head wind.

« Reply #3343 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »
I'm starting to favour this option over drops, the only down side is you can't tuck down low to battle a head wind.

Bull horns and aero-bars.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3344 on: 15 June, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »
From above...there's a Dahon Hons Solo on th' 'bay at moment - reasonably rare! AFAIR the rear hub is a screw on and would take a fixed....

DAHON HONS SOLO on eBay (end time  16-Jun-10 18:10:10 BST)
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3345 on: 15 June, 2010, 09:09:47 pm »
The bars are Charge Slice bull horns from Winstanleys bikes (£20). I decided to go for them on my tourer as I hardly ever used the drops and my commuter has a set of drops I flipped and chopped and they are very comfy. I got a set of Charge bars for my road bike, liked them and now as you can see have got them on all of my bikes. Another factor was that the STIs were playing up (they have done a lot of miles) and the price of new ones made me wince. I am really pleased with the set up, changing gear is easy (not as easy as STIs, but on a tourer, does that matter?) but most of all I like bull bars because of the way the brakes fall to hand. 

« Reply #3346 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:37:13 am »

<snip>

Here's a couple of pictures of the front end at least of my tourer. I find bull bars very comfortable and so have done this.

I saw the same bar set-up on another Dawes tourer over the weekend, only I think they were cut down drops.
Don't ask.

aisha

« Reply #3347 on: 16 June, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »
Probably my favourite incarnation of this bike

Current setup

Work bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3348 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:14:42 pm »
Another Genesis  :thumbsup:

The steelies are taking over my collection. Can't wait to try it tonight and over the weekend. The knobblies may be back on tomorrow for a blast around Hanchurch. The Flyer has slightly better components but this is a great bike.

A big thanks to Tim @ Sideways Cycles, got a great deal on it!!

There's one of these often locked up outside a starbucks near to my office - looks very nice.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3349 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
I really do need a house with a garage...