Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2457569 times)

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4200 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »
I had one of these, what model was it?  I sold it last year - after a powder coating and upgrade of various worn out bits.  Sadly the ebayer who bought it got a bargain and I barely covered my costs!!!

The full story and pics are on my blog here, too much to paste in to this post.

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/category/my-bikes/project-british-eagle/

I loved reading about your B.E. restoration Paulson. It is very obvious that you put a lot of TLC into the project and the results speak for themselves. True enough that it's not the fastest thing on the road but the 531 steel frame makes a very comfortable and forgiving ride.

As for the model of my bike, I'm really not sure. Most of the original markings and decals are gone (save those which you see in the pic). This is the 1995 model if memory serves, purchased in kit form (to save me some cash) which I assembled out of the box. Strangely enough this is the second B.E. I have owned as the previous machine was destroyed after only two weeks when I was knocked off by a guy turning right across a traffic jam. This was the replacment machine and I've stuck with it ever since.

Iain - Nice to see you are able to to spot my machine at a glance mate  ;D. I'd be interested to see what you think of the Tricross.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

LEE

« Reply #4201 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »
Very nice.

I love my old Saracen MTB.  It has a Tange CroMo frame and it now converted into a general purpose "Town Bike".  The long wheelbase of Old-School rigid MTBs make them great for loaded camping I think.

I'm on the verge of putting some huge Schwalbe Big-Apple tyres on it, just to make it look uber-chunky and super smooth.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4202 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:23:32 pm »
  The long wheelbase of Old-School rigid MTBs make them great for loaded camping I think.

yes indeed.
My Cannondale M800 performed this duty for a long time via the fitting of mudgaurds,tarmac compatible tyres & pannier racks after I stopped off roading

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4203 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »
I'm on the verge of putting some huge Schwalbe Big-Apple tyres on it, just to make it look uber-chunky and super smooth.
Funny you should mention that as I was thinking of sticking some chubbies back onto the B.E. and using it for a bit of off road and the increasingly common snow/ice commute.
 - Mark Twain

LEE

« Reply #4204 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:42:58 pm »
Funny you should mention that as I was thinking of sticking some chubbies back onto the B.E. and using it for a bit of off road and the increasingly common snow/ice commute.

Ever since I saw a Surley "Pugsley" I wanted something that looked as much like one as possible

I think a Pugsley with a Rohloff and sealed chain-case would be the ultimate Beach Bike

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4205 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »
Now that is a mad but cool looking bike.  :thumbsup:
 - Mark Twain

« Reply #4206 on: 25 February, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »

WANT!

« Reply #4207 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »
Did Ten CC actually patent quiche?
http://sites.google.com/site/tencyclingclub/quiche

No we didn't, and Feline seems to be pushing the boundaries of quiche anyway.

My 42/28 evolved from want to get a nearly 1:1 gear using the close ratios of a road cassette.

Feline, can I ask why, on what seems to be a no expense spared dream bike, you went for the Black Rain fork? Was there nothing else available? Seems an odd way round to do it, with the price of the chainset!

The fork and headset came with the frame from Sabbath, included in the price. I didn't really see much advantage choosing anything different tbh, but I would be glad to hear suggestions/reasons for improving on it :)

I think that if you want mudguard eyes and clearance there isn't much other choice.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4208 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:05:33 pm »

Clandy

« Reply #4209 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:21:12 pm »

WANT!

And I thought the three inchers on the Montague were fat!  :o

AndyH

« Reply #4210 on: 26 February, 2011, 06:37:16 pm »
Built the new Enigma up today  ;D

The build is - Enigma Etape frameset, Campag; Vento reaction wheels, Record triple with TA 28/39/50 rings, Record BB, 10 speed cassette & front mech, Veloce everything else. Old seatpost until I decide what to do about luggage (post pack at the moment) SKS guards (with a new rear mudflap fashioned from brickie's damp proof course). Deda bars & a cheap stem which will be used & changed whilst I'm sorting out my position, Brooks B17 narrow. Battlescarred Look Keo pedals. The Record bits are all either new old stock or ebay bargains.

Oh and one of those SJS bolts that lets you put the mudguard behind the fork crown where it's supposed to be.

This might need a bit of modification by someone with a lathe, it sticks out a bit far at the moment.
Took it out for a quick shakedown and all was well. Stopped of to see Paul D of this parish who had some decent wire cutters to trim the cables, mine are OK for copper but not much good on brake & gear cables. Thanks Paul  :thumbsup:

So out on a sportive tomorrow, the CTC Blandford 79 mile. Should be a good test and as it is nothing important (like an Audax) it doesn't matter how many times I stop to adjust things. Or indeed if I finish.

« Reply #4211 on: 26 February, 2011, 07:02:58 pm »
"Oh and one of those SJS bolts that lets you put the mudguard behind the fork crown where it's supposed to be."

I've always believed that should be in FRONT, thus hiding the bracket. Better visually and also stronger! But if sjs say otherwise.....think I'll ignore them!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

AndyH

« Reply #4212 on: 26 February, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »
I don't suppose it makes a lot of difference strength wise, but the nearer the back of the mudguard is to the ground the less water will hit my feet!

PH

« Reply #4213 on: 26 February, 2011, 10:45:16 pm »
I hope that Enigma rides as well as it looks.

"Oh and one of those SJS bolts that lets you put the mudguard behind the fork crown where it's supposed to be."

I've always believed that should be in FRONT, thus hiding the bracket. Better visually and also stronger! But if sjs say otherwise.....think I'll ignore them!

SJS are just repaeating what Sheldon Brown said,
"The Sheldon Fender Nut permits mounting the front fender tab behind the fork crown where it belongs.
In addition, the use of Sheldon Fender Nuts permits periodic removal/re-installation of the fenders without disturbing the centering adjustment of your brake calipers.
"

« Reply #4214 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:31:09 am »
Very nice Andy! hope all goes well on its maiden event  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4215 on: 27 February, 2011, 12:12:10 pm »

Please can someone post a link to this component as I can't find it on SJS' site.  Thanks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4216 on: 27 February, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »
These?

My Tortec guards came with something similar, pretty nifty.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4217 on: 27 February, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »
^^^  Very clever!  I may have to invest!

« Reply #4218 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:00:03 pm »
I have finally taken some pics of $NEWBIKE

All clean and shiny after I cleaned all the mud from the Kennet Valley Run

And for the record my Hewitt tourer (not cleaned):

AndyH

« Reply #4219 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
^^ nice Van Nich Matthew ^^ Ti is in this year.

^^^  Very clever!  I may have to invest!

Thats the one I got
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-extended-countersunk-brake-nut-for-m-g-fixing-on-aeroforks-12-mm-each-prod13266/
As I said, it's not perfect but wont take a lot to sort out. The slimmest part (i.e. the bit that would be the "tube" of a standard allen key nut) needs to be about 5mm longer to be perfect with my forks. The new front mudguard is fairly long and has a flap. There were some heavy showers today but hardly any spray hit me  ;D. The roadies were pretty splattered.

The bike feels a bit wierd, much more laid back than my Giant. However I went round  the 79 miles / 128K / 1700m climbing in just under 6 hours. The gears are crisp and it feels comfy, which it's supposed to.

« Reply #4220 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »

Ahhhh that looks lovely  ;D
Wishing you many happy miles on him/her!

Very nice! I am liking the Carradice-titanium combo, I think they look great  ;D

« Reply #4221 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:54:37 pm »

Haste Ye to the chemist for some acetone to remove the wordy stickers from the frame. And the wheels.

Other than that, the bike looks lovely, Matthew  :thumbsup:.

Wishing you many happy miles...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4222 on: 27 February, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »
+1

We don't go in for 'shouty' bikes in this household ;D

But a very lovely set up.  Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Getting there...

« Reply #4223 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »

Very nice indeed Andy  :thumbsup: I see you have fitted squirrel-friendly wheels  ;D
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

AnthCC

« Reply #4224 on: 27 February, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »

Ever since I saw a Surley "Pugsley" I wanted something that looked as much like one as possible

I think a Pugsley with a Rohloff and sealed chain-case would be the ultimate Beach Bike

The guy who rides this is doing a write up on Pugs in the next citycycling! ;)