Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948416 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10375 on: 25 February, 2024, 09:25:01 pm »
Poor Things  Greatly entertaining. The humour outweighs the cod philosophy/sociology and it's visually delicious.

Probably too much sex to make it an Oscar contender sadly.  The soundtrack is vastly superior to Oppenheimer (which I found intrusive and actually oppressive).

Saw it this afternoon. Superb. Very funny. The dance scene made me laugh uncontrollably.

I thought the philosophy/sociology stuff was cleverly done - deliberately quite simplistic so it didn’t get in the way of the story.

Emma Stone was excellent, of course, but Mark Ruffalo almost steals it.

Loved the music too. Really interesting and well suited to the film.

I’d heard there was a lot of sex in it but really wasn’t expecting there to be THAT MUCH shagging. And I’m still trying to work out exactly what she did with the apple… Crivens!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10376 on: 25 February, 2024, 09:28:42 pm »

Saw it this afternoon. Superb. Very funny. The dance scene made me laugh uncontrollably.

I thought the philosophy/sociology stuff was cleverly done - deliberately quite simplistic so it didn’t get in the way of the story.

Emma Stone was excellent, of course, but Mark Ruffalo almost steals it.

Loved the music too. Really interesting and well suited to the film.

Agreed.  Ruffalo's is one of the great grotesque film characterisations in recent cinema.  Totally over the top and all the better for it.

I still think the sex will be too much for the Oscars, sadly.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #10377 on: 02 March, 2024, 04:21:10 am »
Napoleon.
This was second time watching it and unfortunately it just ended up annoying me. Ridley did a terrible job with this one.
Historically errors aside, it just totally misses the point and does a very poor job of describing who Napoleon was and his relationship with Josephine.

More annoying is the mostly average cinematography.

Oppenheimer:
Nolan, on the other hand, is clearly the best craftsman today. Loved it. Sure, the 'non-CGI' nuclear explosion was a bit naff, but it was mostly irrelevant to the story.
Nolan should totally do a Bond movie.

Killers of the flower moon:
Meh. Interesting story, boring execution. Took me 3 sittings to finish.

« Reply #10378 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:24:02 am »
@ian, very slow, yes.  But more than that, I felt that they worked in lots of scenes to provide images, at the expense of delivering the narrative/plot. How they spent so long not telling the story I do not know.  It's a very modern effect, where the film doesn't tell a story because you're supposed.to know the story already (eg all marvel movies, Dr who, etc).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #10379 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:34:27 am »
It's basically bad editing.  Thelma's been doing it for so long and always gets the gig so she's probably getting a bit lazy.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #10380 on: 02 March, 2024, 02:29:08 pm »
@Jakob, I find Ridley very hit and miss.  And more miss than hit of late.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #10381 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:41:04 pm »
The Third Man (BBC2) for the nth time.  Not just "the best British film of all time"  but the best film, full stop.  first time I've noticed the "cat discrepancy", though!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10382 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:53:05 pm »
Bit light on sex, violence and helicopters, IMHO.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10383 on: 02 March, 2024, 11:55:42 pm »
The Third Man (BBC2) for the nth time.  Not just "the best British film of all time"  but the best film, full stop.  first time I've noticed the "cat discrepancy", though!
Great film, worthy of repeated viewings.

« Reply #10384 on: 03 March, 2024, 12:02:32 am »
Bit light on sex, violence and helicopters, IMHO.

I expected no less! 

« Reply #10385 on: 03 March, 2024, 12:09:23 am »
We watched Ridley Scott's 'Napoleon' tonight on Apple TV+.

There are some good performances (though I’m not sure I’d include Juaquin Phoenix’s in that category) and some great visual set pieces - thanks to a lot of CGI. But it’s very disjointed. It’s episodic, campaign-by-campaign, and it tries to paint the vast scale of his exterior achievements onto the interior canvas of his relationship with Josephine, and it fails to pull it off. I don't know or care enough about the historical accuracy of it - it's not a documentary - but as entertainment it fails to register in comparison with some of the year's other offerings: hold it up against, for example, 'Oppenheimer' and you wonder how so much money can be spent achieving so little.

« Reply #10386 on: 03 March, 2024, 02:20:40 pm »
... And Eddie the Eagle has moved from the house round the back of mine so I'm no longer famous.

I used to live next door to his parents. Six degrees of separation ... :)

I watched How to Marry a Millionaire for the umpteenth time, and it's currently on iPlayer. It is a fairly feel-good film, although alarmingly dated in places (but was made over 70 years ago!)

I'm amused that the three female leads are aged 27, 29, and 37, even though the suggestion is that they're much younger, and at one point William Powell refers to Lauren Bacall being about 25, when she had claimed to be 40, but was in actuality 29. Not really a dramatic disparity in ages, but amusing when it was made a point of the story. William Powell's character claimed to be 56 too, when the actor was 61, so it wasn't just the women being creative with their ages. ;D

In places the pacing is a little slow, with some poor effects; the terrible backdrops for the driving which are not unusual for that era, but mostly it's a nice gentle comedy.

The $200 million that "Mr Filler Up" lays claim to, would be about $2.3 billion today, so he'd be approaching Trump's supposed worth.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #10387 on: 04 March, 2024, 04:46:40 am »
@Jakob, I find Ridley very hit and miss.  And more miss than hit of late.

Yeah, he's made some of my favourite films, but man, he's also made some stinkers.
I recently watched the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven and it's what I wanted Napoleon to be. True enough (in spirit) to the real events, with characters that you actually care about.
Phoenix' Napoleon is not very likeable at all and this was a guy who was famous for inspirational speeches and getting on with the troops.
All I can hope for is that like Kingdom of Heaven, where the theatrical release was also pretty meh, there'll be a directors cut of Napoleon.

In reality, Napoleon should have been a TV series. Probably only way they could have done it justice.

« Reply #10388 on: 04 March, 2024, 10:30:35 pm »
Dune: Part Two

Immense, spectacular stuff, with a Zimmer soundtrack; what're you waiting for..?   ;)

~2hrs 40min
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10389 on: 07 March, 2024, 01:26:00 pm »
Judgement at Nuremberg.  I was too young to get in when it came out and our paths didn't intersect until I found it on Prime last week.  3 hours well spent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10390 on: 07 March, 2024, 08:32:22 pm »
Yep, saw that a month or so ago. Impressive.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10391 on: 08 March, 2024, 08:55:27 am »
The only false note was Captain Kirk popping up all the time.  I didn't even notice it was him until MrsT pointed it out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10392 on: 10 March, 2024, 10:36:27 am »
Indiana Jones and the Flogged Dead Horse Dial Of Destiny.

It was better than the Crystal Skull but the CGI is completely overdone.  Lacks the pacing of the first and third films.  Completely wasted opportunity near the end to insert the deputy Nazi's line from The Blues Brothers.  They must have been tempted.

https://youtu.be/m-iTAauXqZk?si=wpBZV_JZ6qlwJJMp
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10393 on: 11 March, 2024, 07:23:25 am »
Poor Things

Wacky, bizarre, beautiful and ugly.

Quite impressed that this made it to mainstream cinema.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10394 on: 11 March, 2024, 11:04:04 am »
Dune II
It was OK. I enjoyed the 1st one more.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #10395 on: 11 March, 2024, 12:40:52 pm »
A Clockwork Orange.
Yesterday.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10396 on: 11 March, 2024, 01:49:51 pm »
Bodyguard (dubbed into German, but hurrah they didn't dub Whitney's singing).

This had fared better than a lot of the other films of that time which seemed terrible now. Bodyguard was OK.

It was the first time Klaus had ever seen it.

I spent the whole film thinking what a crying shame it is that such a talent died in such an ignominious way, and the problems she had before that.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #10397 on: 11 March, 2024, 03:35:31 pm »
The Gentlemen (2019) - actually there is a spin off 8 part series on Netflix that I was alerted to so I had to watch the film first.
Film streams on HBO over here (NL) but I believe its usually on Amazon Prime in most regions

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

A Guy Ritchie / Matthew McConaughey production, with a strange role for Hugh Grant ->  'cockney' news of the world scumbag reporter.
Actually there are one or two others who seem to have escaped their type cast image (Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey fame springs to mind too)
I quite liked it, good fun (if you like gangster films) not too long and made me curious about the Netflix series where Giancarlo Esposito
(Gus Frings from breaking bad) plays a leading role. I shall start that later this week.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #10398 on: 12 March, 2024, 12:56:34 pm »
The Zone of Interest. An astonishing and deeply upsetting film

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10399 on: 12 March, 2024, 07:05:16 pm »
The Gentlemen (2019) - actually there is a spin off 8 part series on Netflix that I was alerted to so I had to watch the film first.
Film streams on HBO over here (NL) but I believe its usually on Amazon Prime in most regions

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

A Guy Ritchie / Matthew McConaughey production, with a strange role for Hugh Grant ->  'cockney' news of the world scumbag reporter.
Actually there are one or two others who seem to have escaped their type cast image (Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey fame springs to mind too)
I quite liked it, good fun (if you like gangster films) not too long
It's good innit?

(Have you seen Wonka?! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles