Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 953288 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2425 on: 04 June, 2012, 08:26:39 am »
District 9   :thumbsup:

Loved it!  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2426 on: 04 June, 2012, 09:42:45 am »
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cold_weather/

Not an unpleasant way to pass 90minutes (if only more mediocre films were this short), but I'm glad I didn't pay money to see it. I would have asked to see the final version, not the first draft made as someone's film school project.

If this is mumblecore, I'm not sure I'm gonna like it ...

(should have rewatched District 9 instead).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2427 on: 04 June, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »
Tom Brown's School Days.

Tephen Fry is the Headmaster.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2428 on: 04 June, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
Machine Girl
Tokyo Gore Police

Basically Japanese B-movies with an emphasis on gore and schlock.  Vaguely glad I watched them for the "experience", but not something I'd go out of my way to watch again unless beered up and in company.  I can't make up my mind whether they are intended to be funny or rediculous.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2429 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »
District 9   :thumbsup:

Loved it!  :)

I watched it as well - very good. Thought-provoking, and I found myself continually sidestepped by the plot. Interesting to read the back story of why they used the term "prawn" and how that refers to several plot details (look up Parktown Prawn on wikipedia).

AndyK

« Reply #2430 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
How does it compare to Aliens overall (if setting Aliens to 100%)?

Erm...  Different animal.  Literally.

Ok, so
Alien = suspense and claustrophobic birth trauma-type horror movie.
Aliens = Go-get-the-bad-guys bug hunt adventure, where the bad guys are badder than expected.  Cue 'oops.'
Alien3 = A think-piece about the maternal ramifications of bug hunts.
Alien Resurrection = A cartoon.
AVP = Really...?  oh dear.

Prometheus is a think-piece adventure about longterm ramifications of genetic engineering and the law of unintended consequences.

Or, it could just be a movie about tentacles.  You decide.   ;D

I went to see it tonight. It's just an Alien prequel. Facehuggers, humans impregnated with aliens, same alien carriers as the first film, careless morons pissing about when exploring an alien spaceship.

What really bugged me was they discovered a map to life on another planet billions of miles away... so they sent a collection of the stupidest people they could find.

Great effects, cool aliens and spaceships, shit script and very predictable story.

« Reply #2431 on: 05 June, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »
Moonrise kingdom

Wow, no holds barred wierdnesd, all done for fun
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2432 on: 06 June, 2012, 12:22:06 am »
Prometheus. Great visuals. Storyline a dogs dinner. Disappointing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2433 on: 06 June, 2012, 12:39:20 am »
Tron: Legacy

Visually stunning, but the 80s were cooler in the 80s.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #2434 on: 07 June, 2012, 12:15:00 am »
Snowhite and the Huntsman. Darker than anticipated. Not bad but not worth buying the DVD - glad we watched it at the cinema as a half term treat for the smaller gears.

Bizarre coincidence - The Storr (cliffs and a spectacular land stack on the Isle of Skye) featured in both the film and in the trailer for Prometheus which preceded it.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2435 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:36:56 am »
Hanna (on Tuesday night).  I liked it well enough the first time I saw it, enjoyed it even more the second time around.

Manotea

Re: Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2436 on: 07 June, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »
Snowhite and the Huntsman. Darker than anticipated. Not bad but not worth buying the DVD - glad we watched it at the cinema as a half term treat for the smaller gears.
not sure how going to the cinema is a cheaper option! 4 adult tickets plus popcorn=50 quid round my way.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2437 on: 07 June, 2012, 01:20:17 pm »
Finally watched - Downfall

Very Very good.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2438 on: 07 June, 2012, 04:48:53 pm »
Prometheus
In a way totally unconnected with the film, I overheard a comment passed behind me as a young man with Down's came in with his mother, talking loudly. The comment was an assumption that the 'mong' would talk through the film.

Well, Mum took son to pictures. Son is well brought up, and knows how to behave. Courtesy and good manners, and you assumed the 'mong' would be the one lacking them? Tosser. Anyway...

(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
Re: Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2439 on: 07 June, 2012, 08:55:21 pm »
not sure how going to the cinema is a cheaper option! 4 adult tickets plus popcorn=50 quid round my way.

No popcorn or owt else and its a fairly cheap cinema (local authority owned but due to close when the new national chain franchise opens in our town).

"Not worth buying the DVD" not so much from a cost comparison basis, but more from the perspective that I abhor having books or DVDs or CDs on the shelf that I did not enjoy sufficently to read, view, or listen to a second time.

Yes it would have cheaper to buy the DVD but we have the occasional family cinema outing and we all voted for this filum. I believe that all four gears concurred that "it wasn't worth buying" but that it had been worth seeing in the cinema. 

Manotea

« Reply #2440 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:53:08 am »
The trailers for the ab Lincoln camp hunter and the next Batman look great...

Utter tosh, of course so less likely to disappoint.

Manotea

Re: Re: Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2441 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:56:19 am »
Yes it would have cheaper to buy the DVD but we have the occasional family cinema outing and we all voted for this filum. I believe that all four gears concurred that "it wasn't worth buying" but that it had been worth seeing in the cinema.
apologies... One needs family treats of course. Alas our conclusion was that it was't.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2442 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:12:15 am »
I watched the first half hour of The Fugitive on telly the other night, far enough to see Tommy Lee Jones say

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_cczIWvBq4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/R_cczIWvBq4&rel=1</a>

because I love that bit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #2443 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:42:12 am »
SWMBO has just obtained Guest Hous Paradiso on DVD. We watched it last night and I laughed till it hurt.

Tom and Jerry stylee gratuitous beatings combined with Mayal and Edmonson toilet humour.

:thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2444 on: 10 June, 2012, 10:25:19 pm »
The first 45 minutes or so of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The rape scene (which we weren't aware of beforehand) was too much for MrsC, and so we watched no further.

« Reply #2445 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:08:01 am »
The first 45 minutes or so of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The rape scene (which we weren't aware of beforehand) was too much for MrsC, and so we watched no further.
Entirely understandable.

The rape scene is to be commended, because it does not portray rape in any way other than being foul sick violence.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2446 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:47:21 am »
Saturday night, Avengers Assemble, which I loved, but not as much as the trailer for Dark Knight Rises.  If there is one film this year that I would drop everything for, it is that.

Sunday night we watched Clash of the Titans, I liked it, but not as much as the original due to it not being Ray Harryhousen and there being no army of skelegogs....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #2447 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:50:57 am »
Did the Prometheus thing last night.

Not as good as it could have been but it was a reasonable watch.

Plot holes or sequal opportunities?

What do you call a sequal to a prequal?

Hillbilly

« Reply #2448 on: 11 June, 2012, 09:43:48 pm »
Iron Man 2.  Part of my going back and watching all of the Marvel superhero movies that led into Avengers Assemble.  Good "turn off brain and enjoy for what it is" action picture. 

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2449 on: 12 June, 2012, 05:04:19 pm »
Prometheus

Somewhat overhyped, but a good film.

Bandages for underwear?   ???