Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 953194 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9025 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:50:11 pm »
Obviously the solution is to attach the sword to your back using Christmas-themed adhesive tape...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9026 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:38:23 pm »
'Mary and Max, on Channel 5 catch-up.

Quirky Australian stop-motion animated feature, remarkably well-done and very moving. A little gem found by chance, which is the best sort.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #9027 on: 18 July, 2020, 11:14:57 pm »
Ad Astra. A very fine performance by Neptune I thought.

« Reply #9028 on: 21 July, 2020, 04:30:19 pm »
Little Nicky

Yes, it's pretty bad. Adam Sandler is just weird, and not in a particularly good way.

... but it does have a demonic bulldog called Mr Beefy, Ozzie gets to bite the head off of a bat, Henry Winkler gets covered in bees several times, Kevin Nealon wears a bra on his head sort-of sensibly, and Clint Howard (Ron Howard's little brother) is Nipples guy!

Also, Harvey Keitel as Satan, and Rodney Dangerfield as Lucifer, work in a suitably odd way. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9029 on: 25 July, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »
Terminator: Dark fate

Better than expected; post T2 it felt 'back on track' with Linda Hamilton.  70% on RottenT
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9030 on: 25 July, 2020, 09:10:38 pm »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Superb.  And I learnt that the writer / director was the same as for “In Bruges”. I must try and find his other films.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9031 on: 25 July, 2020, 10:51:36 pm »
Because it was on the telly, I started watching You Only Live Twice this evening, having not seen it for a few years. My god... it is not ageing well. I don't know which is worse - the racism or the misogyny. Was it always this bad, or have my sensibilities changed that much?

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Superb.  And I learnt that the writer / director was the same as for “In Bruges”. I must try and find his other films.

His only other feature is Seven Psychopaths, which is good enough to be worth a couple of hours of your time but not in the same league as In Bruges or Three Billboards.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9032 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:49:35 pm »
In Bruges wasn’t in the same league as Three Billboards.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9033 on: 26 July, 2020, 12:29:38 am »
Because it was on the telly, I started watching You Only Live Twice this evening, having not seen it for a few years. My god... it is not ageing well. I don't know which is worse - the racism or the misogyny. Was it always this bad, or have my sensibilities changed that much?

I think it was always that bad.  The main difference is that rockets performing precision propulsive landings no longer seems utterly ridiculous.

citoyen

« Reply #9034 on: 26 July, 2020, 07:01:25 am »
The main difference is that rockets performing precision propulsive landings no longer seems utterly ridiculous.

;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9035 on: 26 July, 2020, 07:52:21 am »

It's of its time. You can't judge it in isolation, you have to judge the whole of 1960s society.  I don't remember anyone back then complaining about it: it was just another Bond romp.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9036 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:10:44 am »
It was probably Mythbusters who did in the back-scabbard thing: unless the sword is about the length of a decent carving-knife you can't draw it. But IIRC there's a very long Thai(?) sword so flexible that you can carry it wrapped around your waist and cut yourself in half if you flub drawing it.

They seem to manage it in The Last Kingdom, but you're probably not a real viking without a good handful of scars
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9037 on: 26 July, 2020, 09:56:39 am »
Gran Torino

Forgot just how much humour is in this film.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9038 on: 26 July, 2020, 10:32:29 am »
It was probably Mythbusters who did in the back-scabbard thing: unless the sword is about the length of a decent carving-knife you can't draw it. But IIRC there's a very long Thai(?) sword so flexible that you can carry it wrapped around your waist and cut yourself in half if you flub drawing it.

They seem to manage it in The Last Kingdom, but you're probably not a real viking without a good handful of scars

I saw a thing about how they do it in films: the guy starts drawing a short sword, then they cut away for an instant; next shot he's got a long one.  You could probably manage it with some scabbard/clip arrangement so that the tip of the blade would come free about halfway up the scabbard, but getting it back in again would be ticklish and maybe bloody.

citoyen

« Reply #9039 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:07:39 am »
It's of its time.

Never really satisfied with that as an excuse.

But yeah, I used to enjoy James Bond films as a kid. It’s only as I’ve got older and wiser that I’ve realised they are mostly pretty awful - in many ways, not just the outdated attitudes. Tbh, I’ve not watched any of them for a while, so my reaction last night was mostly surprise at just how bad YOLT is.

fuzzy

« Reply #9040 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:29:58 pm »
It's of its time.

But yeah, I used to enjoy James Bond films as a kid. It’s only as I’ve got older and wiser that I’ve realised they are mostly pretty awful - in many ways, not just the outdated attitudes. Tbh, I’ve not watched any of them for a while, so my reaction last night was mostly surprise at just how bad YOLT is.
I don't think 'Being Of Its Time' is an excuse as much as a valid explanation.
As time passes and society develops, what is acceptable draws closer to what is right (hopefuly).
Back in the day, some of the attitudes displayed in films such as YOLT, TV like The Black and White Minstrel Show etc. were acceptable to the majority of mainstream society and so they flourished. Today we know better.
I fully expect that, in 50 years time, attitudes and morals that we on here find exemplary may well come under scrutiny.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9041 on: 27 July, 2020, 08:32:06 am »
It's of its time.

As time passes and society develops, what is acceptable draws closer to what is right (hopefuly).
Back in the day, some of the attitudes displayed in films such as YOLT, TV like The Black and White Minstrel Show etc. were acceptable to the majority of mainstream society and so they flourished. Today we know better.
I fully expect that, in 50 years time, attitudes and morals that we on here find exemplary may well come under scrutiny.

And conversely, someone from the 50s or 60s would be scandalized by the way society is today.  We have a Rwandaise friend who arrived here in the mid-90s. She had been a continuity announcer on state TV and so already had some knowledge of the world outside Rwanda, but she was still startled by "modern" morality.

« Reply #9042 on: 27 July, 2020, 10:14:39 am »
"Mercy"
A recent take on the Donald Crowhurst story, with a good cast.

Skips over some of the problems, both mechanical and personal. Focuses on the psychological breakdown rather than the sailing issues (tbh, I'm yet to watch a film that is accurate regarding sailing).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #9043 on: 27 July, 2020, 11:40:33 am »
It's of its time.

And conversely, someone from the 50s or 60s would be scandalized by the way society is today.  We have a Rwandaise friend who arrived here in the mid-90s. She had been a continuity announcer on state TV and so already had some knowledge of the world outside Rwanda, but she was still startled by "modern" morality.

I've met people in Uganda and Nigeria who are sure everyone (OK, everyone male, women obviously are different) in the western world is having gay sex all the time. It must be hard to find the time to fit our other lax morals in.

I've not seen an old James Bond movie in quite a while, but they were pretty hard-going back in the day. I'm surprised it's a franchise that has continued, but I like the nods in the more recent iterations to him being a man somewhat out of place in the modern world.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9044 on: 27 July, 2020, 03:12:50 pm »
I've met people in Uganda and Nigeria who are sure everyone (OK, everyone male, women obviously are different) in the western world is having gay sex all the time.

Can't help thinking the world would be a much better place if this were true...

citoyen

« Reply #9045 on: 27 July, 2020, 03:24:16 pm »
I've met people in Uganda and Nigeria who are sure everyone (OK, everyone male, women obviously are different) in the western world is having gay sex all the time.

https://youtu.be/RKnMwyUm-nM

(Somewhat NSFW, in case that is of concern for anyone right now)

ian

« Reply #9046 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »
We have been diving deep into the Syfy movie back catalogue. It's a tsunami of made-for-tv goodness, an avalanche of curious pleasure – I'm squeezing a couple of near apocalypses into every weekend. We all should.

Stonadoes the other night, imagine a tornado (strictly speaking these were waterspouts, but you know, dramatic licence) but with stones. Giant rocks from the sky. Hola! It blew the best bit early when some jackass making a sexist joke was promptly crushed by the actual Plymouth Rock. Running short on rocks, they reverted to science, with frozen ozone (missing an opportunity to brand this Frozone). Fortunately, our heroic weathermen (yes, yes, YES!) had a weather modification ray and apocalypse averted. Phew.

Apocalypse Pompeii. Vesuvius is getting ready to pop. Americans on holiday. Stupid kids. Fretting Mom. Go-get-em Dad. Just add lava.

Descent (Luke Perry, they put him underground, that's where he's been). The ring of fire erupts. Secret government conspiracy. Oh noes. Don't worry chaps, the handily imprecise application of an enormous nuclear bomb is in order (despite the bad press, giant nuclear bombs are clearly the best way to avert apocalypses, even better than weather modification rays).

Shockwave: Countdown to Disaster. Achy breaky earthyquaky armageddon in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... with added volcanoes. Hell storm device, tunnelling into the earth. There's only way to stop it. Get diggin' Kate. Geophysicists are better than weathermen. Though if in doubt, grab both.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9047 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

https://youtu.be/RKnMwyUm-nM

(Somewhat NSFW, in case that is of concern for anyone right now)

After watching that, the next topic on the "unread" list seemed to be right in context

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=116382.0

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9048 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:59:20 pm »
We have been diving deep into the Syfy movie back catalogue. It's a tsunami of made-for-tv goodness, an avalanche of curious pleasure – I'm squeezing a couple of near apocalypses into every weekend. We all should.

Stonadoes the other night, imagine a tornado (strictly speaking these were waterspouts, but you know, dramatic licence) but with stones. Giant rocks from the sky. Hola! It blew the best bit early when some jackass making a sexist joke was promptly crushed by the actual Plymouth Rock. Running short on rocks, they reverted to science, with frozen ozone (missing an opportunity to brand this Frozone). Fortunately, our heroic weathermen (yes, yes, YES!) had a weather modification ray and apocalypse averted. Phew.

Apocalypse Pompeii. Vesuvius is getting ready to pop. Americans on holiday. Stupid kids. Fretting Mom. Go-get-em Dad. Just add lava.

Descent (Luke Perry, they put him underground, that's where he's been). The ring of fire erupts. Secret government conspiracy. Oh noes. Don't worry chaps, the handily imprecise application of an enormous nuclear bomb is in order (despite the bad press, giant nuclear bombs are clearly the best way to avert apocalypses, even better than weather modification rays).

Shockwave: Countdown to Disaster. Achy breaky earthyquaky armageddon in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... with added volcanoes. Hell storm device, tunnelling into the earth. There's only way to stop it. Get diggin' Kate. Geophysicists are better than weathermen. Though if in doubt, grab both.

Those all sound brilliant, but I'm sworn off watching anything with that ends in -nado.

ian

« Reply #9049 on: 28 July, 2020, 08:21:55 pm »
I think I forgot to mention Dark Storm 'armageddon is on the horizon' (I really was having a good weekend). This was brilliant for more reasons than I can adequately enumerate, but I'm not letting that stop me because inadequacy would be my middle name, if I had one, which I don't.

First, it featured an evil satellite. How do I know it was bad. It had a red light on the end, that's how you tell. Can it manipulate the weather? Oh, it surely can. That's the STORM. You can't have a proper apocalypse without a storm. OK, earthquakes and volcanoes work too. Possibly giant beetles.

But dark, what makes it's dark, ian? you so reasonably ask. Let me tell you.

Dark matter, that's what. Some spiffly scientists whinge that it's undetectable. Not so, I saw it at the weekend, conjured up by cheap special effects made on a Commodore Amiga. Anyway, they put the dark matter in the satellite, because you're not going to keep it in the fridge, and everyone needs a dark matter-filled weather manipulation satellite (red light, don't forget it). It's certainly on my birthday list. But oops, an orbital bolt punctures it and ought it starts to leak, a steamer of darkest matter. That's going to be a problem somewhat worse than bike oil on the carpet.

Now the downside of frothing about with dark matter is that it's a bit messy, so if you're the lead scientist, well, you might get exposed. It's a risk factor in a movie like this. Now, I imagine at this point I have you enticed, and you may be thinking what more? The lead scientist. Two precious words. Take a moment. Make sure you're seated. Stephen Baldwin. A genuine Baldwin. Filled with dark matter.

So, Stephen Baldwin with weather manipulation powers. Come on, I can't be the only one who's had that dream. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, baby.

It gets better (don't argue, it might not seem possible given the description so far, but hang on). It's not fair to say Stephen 'Chunky' Balwin can't act since he mostly seemed so baked that he didn't know he was in a movie. But the scriptwriters weren't fazed, the made it clear that he was suffering the effects of a surfeit of dark matter and not an excess of prescription medication and cheap scotch. All good then.

And when Chunky Baldwin and a wonky satellite go to weather war? You know the score.

It wasn't all good, there was a sex scene (putting Chunky on top was inadvisable I feel) that ended sparkly. No really, it did, in a cloud of sparkles. It's actually hard to describe and trust me, I have some expertise in sex scenes. That's not the bad thing, I'm sure we've all wanted a sparkly ending. The disappointment was that my wife and I both shouted (I hesitate to say ejaculated, but it's the word for the job) "DARK MATTER BABY!!!!!"

There was, alas, no dark matter baby. That would have been the sequel to end all sequels.

I'm already looking forward to this weekend, though I am disappointed to find Shark in Venice is not yet available on Prime.