Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 953117 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10175 on: 21 August, 2023, 08:46:20 am »
Finally got round to seeing Barbie last night. It's excellent. Very funny. No confusing timeline nonsense, although there are one or two plot holes and a couple of bits that don't really make sense but I was happy to be taken along for the ride. Just the right length and no need for subtitles either. :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10176 on: 21 August, 2023, 01:42:37 pm »

Thks TimO, Avatar Whatever on the list now for next time.
We couldn't finish it. It's shite.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10177 on: 21 August, 2023, 02:10:37 pm »

Can well believe it.  Post-ride shattericity dulls my critical senses, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #10178 on: 21 August, 2023, 08:20:43 pm »

Saw the first one, once I tired of the candy-coated CGI, the underlying plot was fairly tedious. I have no urge to see the latest one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10179 on: 21 August, 2023, 10:04:00 pm »

Top Tip:  Just watch the end credits.  That way you get lots of pretty CGI alien sea creatures without any of the plot.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10180 on: 21 August, 2023, 10:35:44 pm »

Saw the first one, once I tired of the candy-coated CGI, the underlying plot was fairly tedious. I have no urge to see the latest one.

The first one was !!3D!! Yes!! EVEN THE TINY SCREENS on screen ARE 3D!!!!! PS Bad people with lovely big machines kill the tree. HORNY BLUE GIRLS!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10181 on: 21 August, 2023, 11:27:39 pm »
To Catch A Killer on Netflix. Decent enough?

« Reply #10182 on: 26 August, 2023, 08:26:15 pm »
Tenet

Again.  Pretty sure that no one fully understood this 'most confusing ever' film at the first time of watching.  Did some timeline & plot 'research' which helped.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10183 on: 26 August, 2023, 10:41:11 pm »
Tenet

Again.  Pretty sure that no one fully understood this 'most confusing ever' film at the first time of watching.  Did some timeline & plot 'research' which helped.

Presumably that's 'most confusing ever' as rated by people who've never seen Primer (2004)

« Reply #10184 on: 26 August, 2023, 11:47:13 pm »
Could be.  Have to watch Primer - budget $7000, Tenet $205 million.   :o

« Reply #10185 on: 27 August, 2023, 10:46:03 am »
A documentary, Apache Warrior, about the first US Apache helicopter sortie of the Iraq war in 2003. Talking heads of the crews involved, and in-flight video & audio from 3 of the helicopters.  The calmness under fire was remarkable, as was the demeanour of the pilot whose gunner was wounded.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10186 on: 29 August, 2023, 05:39:14 pm »
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
I saw this at the cinema when it was released and didn't enjoy it much due to its departure from the original story. However, this recent viewing with fresh eyes has changed my opinion and it really is a great film. The animation is superb and the voice actors were well chosen. Excellent soundtrack too.

Barbie
We went to see what the fuss was all about. Really enjoyed it! Particularly liked the opening scene.
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10187 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:26:13 am »
L'Empereur de Paris, based on the career of Eugène-François Vidocq from his escape from the Toulouse bagne (slave-labour prison) to becoming head of the Sûreté.  Vincent Cassel at his most villainous.

« Reply #10188 on: 30 August, 2023, 06:07:01 pm »
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
…departure from the original story…
Of all the Ronald Dahl children’s stories, which I’ve read countless times as a child and as a parent, FMF absolutely bores me to tears.  So little happens in the story that I’m reduced to doing silly voices (Rat as Cockney, Badger as plummy-voiced country squire…) just to amuse myself as I read it to my little ones for the umpteenth time…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10189 on: 30 August, 2023, 09:24:22 pm »
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Of all the Ronald Dahl children’s stories, which I’ve read countless times as a child and as a parent, FMF absolutely bores me to tears.  So little happens in the story that I’m reduced to doing silly voices (Rat as Cockney, Badger as plummy-voiced country squire…) just to amuse myself as I read it to my little ones for the umpteenth time…

Completely agree.  It was one of the stories we had on audio tape when I was a child, which - because younger sibling who found great comfort in repetition - meant I was regularly throwing up to it on long car journeys.  It doesn't even make sense.

« Reply #10190 on: 31 August, 2023, 09:45:13 am »
Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat one short one lean. These terrible crooks, so different in looks, are nonetheless equally mean.

Clearly FMF predates the failure of the fix to memory protocol.
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
I always did voices? Isn't that part of the fun?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10191 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:54:05 pm »
I always did voices? Isn't that part of the fun?

I was greatly amused to see niece ask SIL to read her a story.  "No, do it like granny!" she protests.

SIL then switches from her usual Manc to dubious (but far better than I could manage) Glaswegian.  "That's better!"

To be fair, I've been known to watch videos of Big Clive dismantling uninteresting Chinese tat before bed, which is the grown up geeky version of soothing bedtime stories.

« Reply #10192 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:26:23 am »
Late to the party as always, I watched Green Book on iPlayer over the weekend.  Five stars.

« Reply #10193 on: 09 September, 2023, 09:54:05 pm »
A Storyville about the Genesis of Israel, the Blue Box. Fascinating
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10194 on: 09 September, 2023, 11:26:18 pm »
The Menu
Spoiler alert:
(click to show/hide)
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10195 on: 10 September, 2023, 10:46:34 am »
The Misfits.  Vile cruelty to horses with a hefty dose of 50's sexism + Arthur Miller's hokey philosophizing.  Watchable though.  Nice aeroplane fsvo nice.  Appeared to have a 5-cylinder radial engine. Didn't know that was a thing. Smoother I suppose.

Ahah: http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Misfits

The plane and the two main stars all looked pretty raddled.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10196 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:50:48 pm »
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Basically a greatest hits album, in the style of Terminator: Dark Fate

Far too long and completely unoriginal, but less embarrassingly shit than the last one.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10197 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:28:57 am »
The Manchurian Candidate, the original one with F. Sinatra and L. Harvey.  Stilted acting or crappy direction (John Frankenheimer), or maybe everyone spoke like that back then.  L. Harvey came across as a prize shit, but maybe that was because he had the reputation of a prize shit in private life.  Oh well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10198 on: 28 September, 2023, 11:56:42 am »
Airport, the film mainly known for being parodied by Airplane!

It's the best of the series (Airport '80 rivals Airplane! for comedy, unintentionally).  Some very good cinematic touches, like the sounds of the airport before the picture fades in from a black screen, and some terrible ones, like the liberal use of split screen.  The male actors mostly ham it up, especially George Kennedy, but the women are excellent.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10199 on: 03 October, 2023, 08:08:02 am »
Equalizer 3

Quite well done.  Denzel is always good value, but you really know more or less what to expect if you've seen Eq 1 & 2.

(click to show/hide)