Author Topic: Rear lights - new technology?  (Read 7183 times)

Rear lights - new technology?
« on: 18 August, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
Following disappointing discovery that the Duracells purchased in Coop at dusk did not fit in my ageing Smart Superflashes,
my mind has turned to new investment.
Not more Superflashes, to be greased and taped every time I put in new rechargeables?
or is there a better way?
The nice Electron I acquired is rechargeable from micro-USB, so I suppose at a pinch I could recharge it from the dynohub during the day,
but it does not fit on the seat stays and the saddle stem is otherwise occupied with saddlebag.
I have noticed some newish different rear light models out there, but dont know about how long the batteries last, if they are weatherproof, etc.
Then there are the tube lights, Fibre Flare, with dubious waterproofedness.
Any offers?
Criteria:
  • waterproof
  • battery duration
  • fit on seat stays
  • robust
  • vertical fix for clear visibility
  • bright
  • mounted on frame, not floppy fix on bag
I have looked at the following:
  • Knog Blinder 4V - usb charge, no angle adjustment
  • Lezyne Femto - CR2032 30/60hrs?!?, angle adjustment?
  • Moon Crescent - usb recharge, no angle adjustment?
  • ClaudButler Proteus5 - battery? bracket for large stems?
  • Lezyne KTV - usb charge, angle adjustment?
  • Moon Gem 3.0V - usb, angle adjustment?
  • Moon Comet - usb, 7hrs flash, 2hrs recharge, angle adjustment?
  • Fibre Flare - battery, angle doesnt matter

[Edited to add/extend lists]

Re: Rear lights - new technology?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »
I use these (although I've had them a few years so not exactly new technology), which are cheap, lightweight and reliable.

There's a clip on the back so no need for a mounting bracket, just clip it onto the saddlebag - most of which now have a loop for such attachments.

It's really quite bright and definitely seen by passing traffic, and I only changed the batteries (a couple of AAA) twice during a winter of daily commutes an hour each way. They survived the winter and all the water associated with it so definitely waterproof - even the one I taped back together when the little clip holding the two halves together broke.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rsp-astrum-twin-1-2-watt-rear-light-id54119.html
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2014, 12:53:35 pm »
I have one of those and it is very good but...

...it appears to flatten my batteries when it is turned off so that they are in a state of deep discharge after a couple of days.

These are Eneloop-type batteries that are absolutely fine in a Smart blinky for weeks.

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2014, 01:41:06 pm »
I have recently purchased a smart R1 1 watt rear light

I have been using the 1/2 watt version (identical design to the R1) for many years and it is great - compact, bright, reliable and stays on the bike when attached to seat stay.  It is angle adjustable too.  Takes 2 AAA batteries.

I have had one pop off a bag loop though, so be warned of that.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »
I have been using the 1/2 watt version for many years and it is great - compact, bright, reliable
I think that's the Superflash that the OP was complaining about.
I've never had any problem with them either. I'd guess the OP doesn't use mudguards, and therefore has to muck about with grease and tape to try to keep the spray out.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
I have recently purchased a smart R1 1 watt rear light

I have been using the 1/2 watt version (identical design to the R1) for many years and it is great - compact, bright, reliable and stays on the bike when attached to seat stay.  It is angle adjustable too.  Takes 2 AAA batteries.

I have had one pop off a bag loop though, so be warned of that.

The trouble with the 1/2 watt version is explained here

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/not-so-smart-with-lights/

I would assume that the OP has a similar opinion

The ideal rear light as far as I'm concerned would have a flash/low power/high power stead modes, run off AA (not AAA) batteries and would be absolutely reliable in wet weather and rugged against the problems of rough roads.  As far as I know there is no light that can do this.  They all run off unsuitable batteries, are prone to random failures in wet weather and something will break under normal circumstances of use.

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:09:40 pm »
I've been using the Smart 1/2 watt lights for 7 years. I've broken the tab on one and had to shave down the microswitch on both.

However I mount mine on a saddlebag loop so they aren't exposed to constant spray from wheels, which may be why I haven't had the water problems experienced by other people.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
I've never had water ingress issues with my 1/2 watts.  I know the switch is slightly different on the 1 watt versions so not sure if this is an issue specific to those models.  Something to be aware of anyway.
Up the hills and round the bends

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:31:46 pm »
I have a Smart 1/2W and several clones.  The official one suffered from water ingress to the switch (cured with a squirt of silicone grease siwtch lube), one of the clones suffered plastic breakage where you press it.

The design is fundamentally flawed, in that the switch is where water accumulates.  The Radbot 1000 is a similar-spec light with the switch higher up in the case, and I've not yet had a problem with it - water still gets in, but pools harmlessly at the bottom away from the electronics until it evaporates.

The ideal rear light as far as I'm concerned would have a flash/low power/high power stead modes, run off AA (not AAA) batteries and would be absolutely reliable in wet weather and rugged against the problems of rough roads.  As far as I know there is no light that can do this.  They all run off unsuitable batteries, are prone to random failures in wet weather and something will break under normal circumstances of use.

Those Excellent Infini Rear Lights™, now available in the form of the Ultrasport (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-Automatic-Safety-Bike-Light/dp/B00576PNZ4) ticks most of those boxes, apart from high and low power modes.  It's not as bright as a Smart, but there's more illuminated area.  It does of course need something appropriate to bolt to.  Usual failure mode seems to be being bashed as the bike is stored.

There are AA-powered B&M equivalents.  The switches don't like getting wet.

The optimal solution for reliability is dynamo power.  Eliminating the battery compartment and switch solves the vast majority of problems.

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »
I quite like the Cateye Rapid 3 (TL-LD630-R) - single AA battery, 3 modes (steady, flash and super-disco), fairly long run times, seemingly decent weatherproofing and easy to obtain adjustable mounting brackets.

They do have easily an easily dislodged seal between the two halves of the casing and the battery is contained within the bit that isn't fastened to the bracket so can bounce apart if you hit a big enough pothole (a ziptie round the light will prevent this).

I also rate the PDW Fenderbot for a fit and forget mudguard-mounted light.  It's a fairly dim lamp with fixed and flashing modes that runs off 2xAA batteries but has a built in reflector and is mounted low enough to be unobtrusive in a group.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2014, 03:55:31 pm »
I also rate the PDW Fenderbot for a fit and forget mudguard-mounted light.  It's a fairly dim lamp with fixed and flashing modes that runs off 2xAA batteries but has a built in reflector and is mounted low enough to be unobtrusive in a group.

The Spanninga Pixeo is a similar light (AAA powered, though).  Being Dutch, it only has a static output.  It's also available in a dynamo version.

They're single points of light, but are fantastic when used in a pair on the mudguards of a tricycle.

Sadly anything mudguard-mounted is going to get bashed around a bit.

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2014, 09:53:44 pm »
I still don't think you can beat one of these for visibility and versatility.

Edit: Oh, for some reason the photo's gone and vanished.  ??? Here's another

And if this photo vanishes too the light in question is a Cateye TL-LD1100

And here's a nifty review - http://mccraw.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-rear-light-review/
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:09:47 pm »
I agree, Wobbles.  2xAA as well, which is always good.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
Yeah, those are good, if you've got the seatpost to spare.  Also those long thin Audaxer's favourite Cateyes whose model number escapes me.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:27:47 pm »
Also those long thin Audaxer's favourite Cateyes whose model number escapes me.
TL-LD610. It seems its now been superseded by the LD650 (aka Rapid 5), not sure if there's much difference.

« Reply #15 on: 20 August, 2014, 08:52:41 am »
Yeah, those are good, if you've got the seatpost to spare.

For Audaxing I attach mine to the rack pack. For a while, when commuting, I attached it to my bike helmet.

You can be quite inventive if you use enough rubber bands  :)

« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2014, 01:26:08 pm »
I still don't think you can beat one of these for visibility and versatility.

Edit: Oh, for some reason the photo's gone and vanished.  ??? Here's another

And if this photo vanishes too the light in question is a Cateye TL-LD1100

And here's a nifty review - http://mccraw.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-rear-light-review/

I've had people chase me down when using one of these and ask what light I have on the back of the bike, so impressed are they. It doesn't, however, come with a fitting kit for seat stays. You'd have to use a bit of imagination/ingenuity/fettling fu for that.

I've been using them for getting on for ten years now and I have never had one fail.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: 20 August, 2014, 02:41:26 pm »
I've been using them for getting on for ten years now and I have never had one fail.
I have (the older LD1000 version).
It kept on turning itself off whilst I was riding, but would come back on if I hit it a couple of times.
I gave it the sack when I found the edge of the road whilst turned round hitting it, and crashed what would have been quite spectacularly, had anyone been watching, as a result.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2014, 03:20:39 pm »
And this is why you should ideally have two rear lights.

« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »
I have (the older LD1000 version).
It kept on turning itself off whilst I was riding, but would come back on if I hit it a couple of times.
I gave it the sack when I found the edge of the road whilst turned round hitting it, and crashed what would have been quite spectacularly, had anyone been watching, as a result.
That sounds like bad luck.

I think the family has four of these in total, and all have been faultless. Nor has one ever left its mounting.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 20 August, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »

This woman knows what she's talking about!

« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2014, 07:43:54 pm »
I quite like the Cateye Rapid 3 (TL-LD630-R) - single AA battery, 3 modes (steady, flash and super-disco), fairly long run times, seemingly decent weatherproofing and easy to obtain adjustable mounting brackets.

I can also recommend this light. It has a flashy mode, but without the blinding laser powered option.  But if you have a dynamo I would suggest you use a dynamo powered light as well.  This is what I have and it works really well. 

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-toplight-line-plus-rear-dynamo-light-prod23284/44

« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2014, 09:32:21 pm »

And a bloody great big reflector.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »

I bought one of these last year and I agree. The battery has lasted longer than I expected but the side LEDs are not optimally arranged because they point more or less the same directions as the central LED (and they get swamped by its higher output). Two small LEDs pointing sideways with a 1/2W flashing central thing would be ideal.

« Reply #24 on: 20 August, 2014, 10:16:26 pm »
I did have another light (dynamo/mudguard), but foolishly (in retrospect) decided that two were better.

The spectacular crash was riding off here, from about where the bike is