Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3899082 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1500 on: 14 September, 2008, 09:40:44 pm »
That wouldn't have been Chris & family by any chance, would it?

Not too sure who it was  - I was having a map read/route decision/breather just past a junction in Guilsborough when a tandem followed by a tandem +kiddie seat + trailer (I think) came out of the junction going in the other direction.

First pair of cyclists was a couple on a tandem near Elkington.

bobajobrob

« Reply #1501 on: 14 September, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
Went out for a walk in Guiting Wood near Guiting Power in the North Cotswolds. It was very muddy and there seems to be some deforesting going on which is making a real mess of the place :(

Chris S

« Reply #1502 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:04:37 pm »
Went out for a walk in Guiting Wood near Guiting Power in the North Cotswolds. It was very muddy and there seems to be some deforesting going on which is making a real mess of the place :(

One of things that keeps me going on the Severn Across 400 Audax - that there are places named Guiting Power, Windrush Hill, Deadmanbury Gate and Stryp Lynchets, all in the same area.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1503 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:15:53 pm »
Out with my brother on a ride down from Petersfield to Pompey. Cycled back to pick the van up with my mate Steve.

Oooerr, it were nippy!

H

LEE

« Reply #1504 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:22:04 pm »
Did 27 miles around mid Hampshire about 6pm-8pm and it was actually lovely and mild (warm even).

Shorts and short sleeve.  Not used to it, didn't even need arm warmers (unusual for me).

CathH

« Reply #1505 on: 15 September, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »
I got caught up in a lorra lorra tandems yesterday afternoon heading down into Cranleigh.  A lovely sight!

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1506 on: 15 September, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »
Easy 50 today, cos the legs felt a bit stiff. Nice morning for a ride although the wind has picked up again. Saw trees, saw birds and saw a big bunch of water. Had a bath when I got home lazing away reading Citizen Dog (finally got hold of the third book). Then spent the afternoon dozing and reading on the sofa listening to M83 and other stuff. What is this work thing that other people do?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1507 on: 15 September, 2008, 07:20:20 pm »
Out from Bentham around to back lanes towards Dolphinholme and Abbeystead ,decided to try out famous cycling cafe in Scorton .Im not sure I can come to terms with a supposed cycling cafe that doesnt have beans on toast on the menu :-[Anyway I had the cream tea which was huge and had lots of cream ,sadly the combination of SIS lemon and cream did nothing for my wellbeing on the way home :sick:.55 miles in total.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1508 on: 15 September, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »
Out from Bentham around to back lanes towards Dolphinholme and Abbeystead ,decided to try out famous cycling cafe in Scorton .Im not sure I can come to terms with a supposed cycling cafe that doesnt have beans on toast on the menu :-[Anyway I had the cream tea which was huge and had lots of cream ,sadly the combination of SIS lemon and cream did nothing for my wellbeing on the way home :sick:.55 miles in total.
I was in there on Saturday! The banana and walnut load is to be highly recommended.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1509 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:38:00 am »
No beans on toast! :o

I'm pretty certain they had that available when I used to pop in.*

It's a bit unfortunate, in that I lived on the A6 in Lancaster, so it was only a short ride to get there, and I'd never earned a plateful of food by hte time I got there.

Dolphinholme area was my favourite riding country (though my natural bent tended to drag me up towards the Dales).  Everything you could want there, though - little lanes, (short) steep hills, and fantastic views.

* Er.  1987 :-[
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1510 on: 16 September, 2008, 02:02:39 pm »
Just got back from my short1 ride, after my first visitation of this year, not a good time to find that the seals on your pump have perished....

3 bumpy lumpy miles back to work of a flat front, not fun!

1 - was meant to be short, but took me an hour and a half to cover 7 miles!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1511 on: 16 September, 2008, 07:59:33 pm »
I've been out for 25 miles this evening. Cake at Shepherds Patch then back up Frocester Hill.

It got v. cool and I was thankful for my Rapha Arm Warmers.  :)

Mr P is gay.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1512 on: 17 September, 2008, 05:14:52 pm »
I had a great commute last night described in On the road and may well do another one tonight...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1513 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
Mrs G and the boys took the puppy to training class today in Salisbury.  The class was at 5.30pm so I didn't have to rush home.  So I took a detour, well several actually, a total of 67 miles in all. 

I went up Hackpen Hill and wasn't mugged by 3 men, bitten by a dog, my bike wasn't stolen and nor did I have a cigarette at the top either.

Hummers

« Reply #1514 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:24:58 pm »
Out on the midweek evening ride.

It is getting flippy nippy out there.

H

LEE

« Reply #1515 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:32:02 pm »
Out on the midweek evening ride.

It is getting flippy nippy out there.

H

Went out last night for an easy 38 miles and quickly resorted to arm-warmers and windproof

Hummers

« Reply #1516 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:56:39 pm »
Nippy, especially in the 'dips'.

H

« Reply #1517 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:03:54 pm »
Took the new-to-me Airnimal out for a few miles this evening. Up under the trees by the fort a deer watched me approach before loping unconcerned into the undergrowth, just as the bidon leapt on to the road. I stopped, replaced it, and watched it wriggling out of the nearly horizontal cage. A quick squeeze bent it sufficiently to hold the bidon properly. Then down the hill at a reassuringly fast rate. Funny that it seemed rather sluggish uphill, or rather it didn't respond well to any attempt to hurry things along. This despite the fact it's quite light. A few adjustments to position needed, but nothing too dramatic. I'm not convinced by the twistgrip gear change.

Hummers

« Reply #1518 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:21:30 pm »
Took the new-to-me Airnimal out for a few miles this evening. Up under the trees by the fort a deer watched me approach before loping unconcerned into the undergrowth, just as the bidon leapt on to the road. I stopped, replaced it, and watched it wriggling out of the nearly horizontal cage. A quick squeeze bent it sufficiently to hold the bidon properly. Then down the hill at a reassuringly fast rate. Funny that it seemed rather sluggish uphill, or rather it didn't respond well to any attempt to hurry things along. This despite the fact it's quite light. A few adjustments to position needed, but nothing too dramatic. I'm not convinced by the twistgrip gear change.

Shurely shome mishtake!

H

« Reply #1519 on: 18 September, 2008, 10:22:42 am »

Shurely shome mishtake!

H

I believe 'gripshift' is the technical term.

border-rider

« Reply #1520 on: 18 September, 2008, 07:10:16 pm »
I ventured into the hills with the trike this evening.  It's the first time I've attempted the really narrow, rough  and steep lanes round here on it - I've been sticking to the reasonably sensible lanes.

Climbing was interesting - it's always had a propensity to spin the drive wheel and skitter the front sideways - often at the same time.  I found that by adopting a slow, smooth cadence in a highish gear and keeping my weight forward I could cope, but there were a few places where the road was muddy, the traction went and I rolled backwards with the front wheel locked up.

As I got to the highest part of the loop this happened again and I grabbed a handful of caliper brake while turning the front wheel a little.  And the cable snapped.

That left me way up high, with precipitous descents to get home and just the SA hub brake.  I walked a few and made a dash for the main road.  Only a few miles, but lots of steep uphill and lots of fun :)

I only lost it on a corner once.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1521 on: 18 September, 2008, 07:13:26 pm »
Nothing quite so dramatic for me.

A trip to a school whose relevant staff member had forgotten to tell me that there were no pupils for me to teach; then a quick visit to the LBS where Erik Richardson had not had his bike stolen, a quick ride to Two Tree Island where the tide was coming in and there were lots of egrets fishing in the shallow water, and off to the pub for pie and beer. By a massive coincidence Fatters was there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

GillP

« Reply #1522 on: 18 September, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »
No, but I'm going out tomorrow, and Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday and etc etc etc ...., I'm on holiday  :D

« Reply #1523 on: 18 September, 2008, 09:37:13 pm »
Yes.  This morning was very cold and foggy.
Coming home was bliss.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1524 on: 19 September, 2008, 10:10:28 am »
Ooh - MV, I guess we're lucky you're not posting from A&E...

Gill - I am dead jealous.  We'd love to meet up with you two for a ride some time.  Diairies are bothersome things... ;D
Getting there...