Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 6491 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #50 on: 15 April, 2015, 06:07:04 pm »
Partly prompted by this thread and partly by a need to tidy upstairs before the new Babbage-Engine arrives, I have re-jibbled the hi-fi up there.

The good news is that the turntable still revolves.

The bad newses are that no sound comes out and the speed change button doesn't.  Singles only, then.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 15 April, 2015, 06:25:33 pm »
So... What singles sound best on a turntable with no amplification?   ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #52 on: 15 April, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's the squeaker cables at fault but have yet to test this hypothesis with a source of musical tunes I know to work, viz. an iThing.  Squeakers and cables which used to be up there have been redolphined in the Great Hall

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #53 on: 15 April, 2015, 08:04:41 pm »
Good news: replacing squeaker cables has lead to Sounds coming out of squeakers.

Bad news: not only does turntable speed control button do nothing but platter revolves at rather more than 45 rpm.  Even Motorhead's first single sounds like Pinky and smegging Perky.  On helium.

Anyone know how to fettle a late-80s Ariston Q Deck?

« Reply #54 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:02:23 am »
So what did everyone get at Record Store Day?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #55 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:15:40 am »
Would it be impossibly difficult to invent a way of storing/playing sound in analogue form that is more efficient than a record deck or tape?  Or is it all about the record deck/tape player?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #56 on: 19 April, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »
Dunno, but analogue hi-fi is starting to get right on my tits.  Not only does the turntable revolve like John Curry on crystal meth but the cassette deck, while happy to transport the tape back and forth in the approved manner, just cranks its VU meters up to 11 while generating a vulgar farting noise >:(

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #57 on: 19 April, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »
Would it be impossibly difficult to invent a way of storing/playing sound in analogue form that is more efficient than a record deck or tape?  Or is it all about the record deck/tape player?

I think the optical encoding of audio tracks on 35mm fillum film was pretty neat.

(Even more neat was the encoding of digital audio in 2D barcodes between the sprocket holes thus retaining full backwards compatibility with full analogue cinema but that's another story.)
Pen Pusher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 19 April, 2015, 06:14:52 pm »

Starter for one:  Laserdisc.
Analogue, most of the advantages of CD, phenomenally higher bandwidth than vinyl or linear tape.

Obviously you'd have to invent a new standard for encoding high-quality audio - the existing laserdisc standard modulates the audio in with the composite video, which is never a good idea (there's also PCM digital audio, at the same spec as CD).

TBH, you could do a half decent job with FM audio on VHS.  I'm sure a helical-scan tape system would work even better without a video signal cluttering things up.

« Reply #59 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:20:12 pm »
I got explosions in the sky, All of a Sudden I miss Everyone on vinyl for Xmas. Its a double album but only 3 sides. Side 4 has the album cover etched on the vinyl. I shone a light at an angle which is why it stands out like this. Ace !

Etched artwork by sg310, on Flickr