Author Topic: Steam Ride SR 2016 + RAID PARIS 400km, 600km, 700km  (Read 13667 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Steam Ride SR 2016 + RAID PARIS 400km, 600km, 700km
« Reply #50 on: 09 October, 2015, 06:35:52 pm »
I've had emails from several AUK organisers that CCed, rather than BCCed everybody. Can an email account automatically transfer CCed email addresses into a contact list?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #51 on: 09 October, 2015, 07:21:04 pm »
Isn't this a bit like one of those e-mail conversations which goes on for four days which could have been sorted out in 30 seconds by an old fashioned telephone conversation. And because it's in the public domain it is open to interfering busybodies (like me) to chuck in their own observations to inflame things further! One of those occasions where digital technology certainly doesn't feel like progress.

Mind you, humility can be equally expressed on line or on the phone...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #52 on: 09 October, 2015, 07:35:29 pm »
I've had emails from several AUK organisers that CCed, rather than BCCed everybody. Can an email account automatically transfer CCed email addresses into a contact list?
I am pretty sure there are apps that I will  post below.
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #53 on: 09 October, 2015, 07:41:30 pm »
Main point:  Tim lays on a really good range of interesting rides and breaks new ground.  These are an example and seem ambitious and probably audacious.  Please do more.

Drivel:  There seems to be some ?illusion? that emails can somehow be kept 'secret'.  I am not sure this is the case I am not expert at all.  However because of this thread a I poked around  and used an app that makes a pretty good job of identifying an email address from say an entry in Linkedin.  I think it generates likely emails and then pings until it gets a hit.  Hits come back at three levels of certainty. 

I work on the assumption that if I participate in Social Media and use a Mobile Phone that all is essentially public.  So  I have a choice participate but understand this is a public act or not participate.   If an org. contacts me I would assume they had my email either through emails from me or through emails from others that had my email in cc rather than bcc.  But they might have picked it up from my workplace or places like this.  I do get junk emails (about 16 so far today.  They go straight to their own folder which then gets wiped.  The web is very much a two-edged sword and trying to make it work the way you want not at all easy.
Cnut (a much-improved spelling of Canute) showed us the problem.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #54 on: 09 October, 2015, 08:24:48 pm »
And I always thought my email address was easy to get, judging by all the crap I keep receiving.

Also funnily enough I used to work with a bloke named Knut, when we lived in Bergen, so you may not be too far off with that spelling.

« Reply #55 on: 09 October, 2015, 08:50:40 pm »

Out of interest I checked the contacts list in my gmail account (Tim uses gmail) and it includes a surprising number of people I have never knowingly emailed.  There appears to be some cross-fertilisation from G+. 

« Reply #56 on: 09 October, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »
My spam from RideHard came to an address that (although very publicly available on the AUK website) had not been used to correspond with Tim.
My private** address, which I had used to correspond with him, went un-spammed.

???

** Private, as in not published on website, but in fact widely known to many AUKs.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #57 on: 10 October, 2015, 03:17:43 pm »

Out of interest I checked the contacts list in my gmail account (Tim uses gmail) and it includes a surprising number of people I have never knowingly emailed.  There appears to be some cross-fertilisation from G+.

could have been sorted out in 30 seconds by an old fashioned telephone conversation.

Despite Veloman's helpfulness, in identifying himself only as "Veloman". I can now, finally, confirm the WixShoutout and/or Gmail utilises cc email addresses. I have forwarded  2 instances as proof CC's.
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 10 October, 2015, 11:31:28 pm »
Tim; your wix website is uninformative and I'm not interested in any of your rides unless I seek them out via the AUK website;

I do not expect to receive any more of this; capiche?  :)

« Reply #59 on: 11 October, 2015, 12:00:56 am »
Tim; your wix website is uninformative and I'm not interested in any of your rides unless I seek them out via the AUK website;

Jeez ... was that really necessary and proportionate?.

Those of us that like either Tim or his events or both, let's continue to enjoy riding them. Those who are not fans, fair enough - hope you guys continue to enjoy riding too. And all of us, we're all ultimately on the same side - how about just get on with getting along?
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #60 on: 11 October, 2015, 01:08:36 am »
Anyhoo, Tim - any chance you can put a ride/route outline map on your web page, I think that'd help people who may be interested get more of a feel for each (especially the 6 and 700 :)) cheers

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #61 on: 11 October, 2015, 05:41:28 am »

Jeez ... was that really necessary and proportionate?.

Those of us that like either Tim or his events or both, let's continue to enjoy riding them. Those who are not fans, fair enough - hope you guys continue to enjoy riding too. And all of us, we're all ultimately on the same side - how about just get on with getting along?
Note this was done with a smile but if you do not want people o use your email then delete your account.  You can control what you read but not what arrives if you maintain a web presence. 

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #62 on: 11 October, 2015, 08:18:21 am »
WM, I think the  :) in Martins post might have given the  ;)   ;) away.

« Reply #63 on: 11 October, 2015, 09:32:02 am »

Note this was done with a smile but if you do not want people o use your email then delete your account.  You can control what you read but not what arrives if you maintain a web presence.

This reads rather like an invitation to organisers to ignore good manners and even the laws governing unsolicited emails.
About spam

Martin

« Reply #64 on: 11 October, 2015, 10:19:47 am »
it was a friendly but serious request to Tim not to use whatever he has used to auto-email me, I've no doubt he's a good organiser and his events are very good.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #65 on: 11 October, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »

This reads rather like an invitation to organisers to ignore good manners and even the laws governing unsolicited emails.
About spam
About Spam  :)

« Reply #66 on: 11 October, 2015, 07:53:07 pm »

About Spam  :)

Do I assume that's AUK's official stance on unsolicited emails?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #67 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:00:17 am »
I work in IT. Any post, mail or contact to social media can be traced and identified. Once off your computer unless you are using some fancy encryption or comms method your communication is visible to almost anyone who spends more than 30 seconds looking. If you look up the history of the internet you will find that security was added as an afterthought rather than build in.

The funny thing about openness and transparency is that it makes everyone the opposite. "Oh if what I say will last for every and be read by everyone I will say very little". So no one says anything of meaning or substance. Politicians have known this for some time which is why they are are great at speaking a lot of words that when analysed have no content.

BB 

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #68 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:48:24 am »
The issue is not how spammers operate, but what is acceptable use of email by an organiser.

« Reply #69 on: 12 October, 2015, 09:47:21 am »
The summary of the data protection act at Gov.ukimplies that contact about the specific ride you've entered is the extent of the data usage you've agreed to.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #70 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
The summary of the data protection act at Gov.ukimplies that contact about the specific ride you've entered is the extent of the data usage you've agreed to.
Not sure how the data protection act would be enforced against a voluntary organiser who is acting in his own time. It does not apply to private individuals.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #71 on: 13 October, 2015, 10:07:35 am »
I expect anyone making a complaint to the ICO would get laughed at.  The Data Protection Act was introduced for very good reasons to protect people's rights. 

I cannot believe that its authors would have considered that it would be proportionate for it to be used to harrass a guy who sent one email to try to organise a bike ride.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #72 on: 13 October, 2015, 11:49:01 am »
I expect anyone making a complaint to the ICO would get laughed at.  The Data Protection Act was introduced for very good reasons to protect people's rights. 

I cannot believe that its authors would have considered that it would be proportionate for it to be used to harrass a guy who sent one email to try to organise a bike ride.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/regulation/22/made

Note carefully that PECR sutbly changes the emphasis from Organisation(s) to person, thus coping with the singular individual that sends [gazillions of] spams using automated technologies
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #73 on: 13 October, 2015, 04:03:59 pm »
So what do people think is reasonable behaviour by organisers trying to advertise their events?   I think only one person has made a serious complaint. 

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #74 on: 13 October, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
Personally I would have no objection to receiving emails from organisers informing me of their proposed rides. Better to receive emails about something that might be of interest to me than 'junk' emails from companies about products of no interest to me.

Maybe there could be a monthly email newsletter, to supplement Arrivee, (which we could sign up to), in which organisers could tell us about their new and exciting ride plans? Or perhaps a separate facebook audax group for new rides information.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson