Author Topic: Nokia DC-14 bike charger  (Read 2739 times)

Nokia DC-14 bike charger
« on: 28 February, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »
Nokia DC-14 bike charger • reghardware

Not well reviewed by The Register - looks like an old style bottle dynamo with a voltage regulator to me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Nokia DC-14 bike charger
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:46:37 pm »
Wasn't this one engineered down to a cost, with a view to enabling mobile phone use in the third world, where bicycles are more common than mains electricity?  Using a bottle dynamo makes it trivially simple to use it on the rear wheel of a stationary bike, if necessary.

Technologically it's nothing impressive, but it's cheap and does what it says on the tin, so may be of interest to the odd tourist who can't justify the cost of unobtanium quantum accelerators...

Re: Nokia DC-14 bike charger
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
Well, I ordered one and have just got round to connecting it up on the fixie hack bike.

This is what's in the pack:

A cheap-looking bottle dymano, wires, box of magic and a clever mount for the phone. The phone is held securely using a grippy 'rubber' base which has loops that pass though the box of electronics and around the phone - a good way to make it compatable with different models of phone without being bulky. The drawback is that it can cover bits of the screen on some models.

As I am already running dymano hubs on 2 of the bikes, I wanted to break into the home-made lighting circuit and be able to switch between phone, lights and off.

A collection of the parts needed: bullet connectors (this is what Nokia use), switch, case (old jewelery box) & a bridge rectifier (rather than re-use the old one that was fitted to the dymo connector.

Soldered up:

...and ready to run:

I'll write a report when I've had a chance to use it, but basically it works.

I would only tend to use it on longer rides out of town as I don't think the breaks in charging when stop/starting are going to do anything any good.

It does allow me to use a fairly cheap phone as a GPS or a Sat-nav without running the battery down quickly in daylight.  :)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...