Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180202 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - VOLUNTEERS
« Reply #25 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
OK, I'm looking for a volunteer for stage 1.  Starting with the baton at Lands End and ending somewhere that is not Lands End, into the hand of another Forumite (or group of Forumites) that will take it elsewhere.

I'll create the baton (note.  I have no experience of wood carving but I have a broom, a saw and a Stanley knife).

I think there should be some rules:

Rule 1.  Every handover should be well documented by photographs and ride-reports.

Rule 2.  I can't think of any more rules.

So, if someone volunteers to receive the baton, ride with it to LE, have a photo taken there whilst holding baton, then arrange it's next handover (via this thread), I'll post the baton to them.

Volunteer please.

If we have any more volunteers for other stages then please make yourself known and we'll try to get the baton to you.

Note.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  It's more important that everyone gets to handover the baton (and therefore enjoy a nice ride and a pint with another YACFer)  than to get the baton to JoG in record time.

Edit.  That just became rule 2

I'll do Chepstow (for the baton must come to Wales) to Swindon.  I might even do Exeter - Chepstow too the previous day.

LindaG

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #26 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
Okay, I'm in.

A leg anywhere between York and Newcastle-upon-Tyne, hopefully to be truncated by the offerings of other volunteers.

If anyone would like to do any of this as a group/accompanied ride that would, of course, be much better.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:22:42 pm »
I was going to volunteer to collect from Epping, take it to Southend (every lejogger goes to Southend, don't they?) and then conduct it towards East Anglia with a little help from Auntie Helen, if she's up for this nonsense.

I reckon we should possibly involve a few coast-to-coasts in the baton's mazy northward trundle.

PS Shouldn't this thread be in Riding & Touring?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »
What to do with the baton at the end of the ride?

Turn around and take it back, and so forth.  I wonder how many times we could do it?  Obviously we'd have to use a different route each time!

Another sort of rule ought to be that the bearer endeavours to wear a YACF Jersey, or Buff, or Badge (or drink coffee from a YACF Mug should we ever produce one).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:30:59 pm »
I'll take it from my place (Crawley) to Zoom. That's all of 12km. I'll be knackered.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #30 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »
I could do Clarion/Butterfly's to my place, that's not even 3 miles. ;D

« Reply #31 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:42:59 pm »
I'd volunteer to cross London, it would add some interest and purpose to my day. Meet anywhere north west/ west/south west, deliver to Epping (seems to have cropped up in a a few) But actually, wouldn't that be a bit too fast? Given the numbers, we should be able to have a merry old time in London, with the baton appearing on strategic statues to add to the CDC thread?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:50:51 pm »
I could do any of the Cumbrian coast (between about Barrow-in-Furness and Carlisle) if you want
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »
I'd volunteer to cross London, it would add some interest and purpose to my day. Meet anywhere north west/ west/south west, deliver to Epping (seems to have cropped up in a a few) But actually, wouldn't that be a bit too fast? Given the numbers, we should be able to have a merry old time in London, with the baton appearing on strategic statues to add to the CDC thread?

Could we not design routes which draw CDC pictures on bikehike maps? O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 13 November, 2010, 01:28:05 am »
I can do anywhere near me.
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2010, 05:30:00 am »
I'd could meet Si-Co midway between Stoke & Blackpool

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #36 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:44:37 am »
If we are talking zig zag then what about incorporating a trans Pennine crossing using the Rochadale Canal?

I'd be quite willing to do, say, Manchester Velodrome to Hebden Bridge. **

It's flat, it's off road and we could run over fishermen's rods and act like a bunch of hoorays , er, sorry, that's not this forum is it?

** As long as you are timing this thing with a calendar and not a stopwatch
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:17:04 am »
Do we have any members in Cornwall, or anywhere near JoG?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:17:13 am »

PS Shouldn't this thread be in Riding & Touring?

Yes, I think so.  How do I get this moved?

"Moderator!!!!... MODERATOR!!!!"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #39 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:18:55 am »
I'll take it from my place (Crawley) to Zoom. That's all of 12km. I'll be knackered.
And no trains allowed, Monsieur Garin.

Busted!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #40 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:22:17 am »
Do we have any members in Cornwall, or anywhere near JoG?

Well, I'm sure Teethgrinder isn't that far away.  For certain (rather TG-ish) versions of not that far....

« Reply #41 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:39:42 am »
As a thought ... if this were forward planned it could turn into a number of regional alfresco parties in regional centres - Bristol, London, Brum, Manchester... ? Fnr's from centre to centre, with diversionary local rides to take it to interesting places, thereby accommodating and including all manner of riders.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #42 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:42:58 am »
Cracking idea LEE.

YHPM regarding the South West relay teams.

H

« Reply #43 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:59:29 am »
It is indeed a cracking idea  :) I'll keep tabs on developments. Due to the size of the London contingent, perhaps we need to plan yACF ride across the city.

« Reply #44 on: 13 November, 2010, 11:05:20 am »
What to do with the baton at the end of the ride?

How about dousing it in something flammable, and hurling it, in a glorious firey arc, into the Pentland Firth?  Something akin to Up Helly Aa.  Just try not to hit a ferry.

I've hung around here long enough now to think that there are few members who think playing with firey stuff might be cool....

I dunno if there are any members in the Northern Isles, maybe with the right timing, we could get it actually chucked into a Viking ship...

Put me down for any stage in the York area.

(while a firey end seems appropriate for the Viking Northlands, I'm not so sure how to mark the Lands End end - dunk it in clotted cream perhaps?)

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #45 on: 13 November, 2010, 11:44:41 am »
I will take it from Bristol to the Welsh contingent or to Stow... or anywhere within a 50 miles radius of Bristol!

May be we could aim for the longest ever E2E in which case pointless miles such as going from Chepstow to Anglesey and back would be appropriate!

I think that Lee is just on the brink of inventing a new sport... 
Chief cat entertainer.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »
South West members . . .

'Paging Mr Gates. Would Mr Gates and his floating kayak thingy please pick up the white courtesy phone'

Chuffy, optional, natch.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #47 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »
It is indeed a cracking idea  :) I'll keep tabs on developments. Due to the size of the London contingent, perhaps we need to plan yACF ride across the city.

Yes, for London it may well be better done as a group ride or two.

We could always take it from somewhere in the south up to a Thames Bridge (or more exactly a forumer who lives near the Thames, say Battersea, Chelsea, Clapham etc), and then have another ride from there through to somewhere north of London centre.

South West members . . .

'Paging Mr Gates. Would Mr Gates and his floating kayak thingy please pick up the white courtesy phone'

Chuffy, optional, natch.

Whilst Andy is in the south-west, not all that close to Lands End, other than if you're TG. ;D

There must be someone a bit closer.  Failing that someone who is doing an actual LeJog could drop it off in passing to another forumite.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #48 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:27:24 pm »
As some of you know I run   Cycle : End-to-End  as a bit of fun and putting something back into cycling - especially E2E rides.

It may be appropriate to use the site as a coordinating point ... and to find possible baton carriers in the more remote parts of the journey.

A journal for the ride would make interesting reading .... assuming the route is going to be as tortuous as the thread is suggesting

Rob

« Reply #49 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »
Failing that someone who is doing an actual LeJog could drop it off in passing to another forumite.

I have an image of someone forgetting the relay bit in the excitement of the moment and taking it all the way.  In order to make it a relay then, they'd have to give it to someone coming the other way.  Who forgets to pass it on until they get to LE and passes it to another LEJoger... and so on.

How many members does a forum need to have before there is ALWAYS someone doing a LEJOG or JOGLE? ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk