Author Topic: Optical heart rate monitors - Wahoo, Scosche or Polar?  (Read 3798 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Optical heart rate monitors - Wahoo, Scosche or Polar?
« on: 23 March, 2019, 02:15:55 pm »
I want a new heart rate monitor. I don't like chest straps, so want something on the wrist/arm.
Needs to transmit Ant+ and Bluetooth LE, so can connect to my Garmin or a phone etc.

I currently have a Mio Fuse, and a Garmin Instinct watch with wrist heart rate. They are not bad for running, but can be inaccurate for cycling or rowing machine in the gym etc. Probably due to bending the wrists more. So maybe something further up the arm would be better.

Looks like the options are:
Wahoo Tickr Fit
Scosche Rhythm 24
Polar OH1

Anyone used these, or any other options?

Some reviews of the Wahoo say the strap falls apart, not sure if that has been improved.
The Polar looks quite neat, maybe more accurate? Though shorter battery life. It was just Bluetooth, but seems there is a firmware update soon, which will add Ant+ support.

Re: Optical heart rate monitors - Wahoo, Scosche or Polar?
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2019, 02:52:35 pm »
I have a Scosche, it's a few years old so may not be the current version.  Works fine using ANT or Bluetooth, paired with a Garmin Touring+ or phone.  There's possibly a slight lag compared to a Garmin chest strap, very slight and not always, otherwise just as accurate.  Came with two sizes of strap for wrist or further up the arm, I prefer the wrist, though I notice current adverts are all showing them up the arm.  Not a lot else to review, does what you'd expect, comfortable, responds quickly, starts easily, lasts around 6 hours.  The strap is holding up well, replacements are available or it wouldn't be difficult to make another. If there's any downside it's that there's no indication of battery level and it only charges via a cradle.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2019, 04:31:48 pm »
I’ve got a Wahoo! which I’m very pleased with. Like all of the other stuff of theirs I’ve used it just works; pairs with phone and ELEMNT seamlessly with a Battery indicator within the respective app/device in addition to the flashing light to indicate low battery. Battery life is very good. Previously I had a Mio but when the strap started to break I moved to the Wahoo! As Mio are getting out of hardware.

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:18:29 pm »
Dcrainmaker seems to be saying that the new Polar OH1 plus is the best optical HR there is.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2019, 12:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
DC Rainmaker now has a proper comparison of them. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/optical-heart-rate-sensor-armband-shootout-schosche24-polaroh1-wahoo-tickr-fit.html
He seems to quite like all of them, but maybe the Polar is a bit better in terms of accuracy etc.
Battery life may be a bit limiting, but should be enough for most running/cycling I am doing. I'm not too bothered about offline recording or other extra features.

And the Polar seems cheapest, about £50. Though don't know if the new version is actually in stock yet?