Author Topic: Getting better at descents  (Read 9661 times)

Re: Getting better at descents
« Reply #50 on: 21 October, 2022, 03:27:22 pm »
In the Alps I was descending fast when I was overtaken by a blonde on straight-barred bike.  I could easily see she was blonde because she wore no helmet.  She made it look so easy and I guess she was a local.  I was on a hire bike but it was a perfectly good descender.  When I handed it back they commented that I hadn't put much wear on the brakes.

Of course, when we watch the professionals on the telly, they are descending on cleared roads without up coming traffic (or support vehicles getting in the way).
Move Faster and Bake Things

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #51 on: 21 October, 2022, 05:05:49 pm »
Descending anecdotes?

Years ago when I was about 16ish possibly, I went to visit a mate in Dairsie on my Raleigh ATB. I decided to go by Logie rather than have too much main road.
On the descent from Craigsanquhar to Pitormie I was passed about 3/4 of the way down by an old man on what looked like a rusty sit up and beg town bike.
While death gripping my hopelessly set up cantis I incredulously saw him not only not stop at the bottom but also fit in a short gap between vehicles going either direction on the Dairsie-Balmullo road and carry straight onto the Clayton road.

My only conclusion at the time was that he must have been a ghost.

« Reply #52 on: 21 October, 2022, 09:34:39 pm »
After cycling in Suffolk I moved to N. Yorks.   Watching dyed-in-the-wool Yorkshire cyclists descending was awe-inspiring after Suffolk.  I was sure they didn't care if they lived or died.
Move Faster and Bake Things