Author Topic: Low base fitness to something decent.  (Read 530 times)

Low base fitness to something decent.
« on: March 15, 2021, 07:04:02 am »
Currently at a low base for me. Just about manage 100km currently and that would probably take 5 hours. Haven't ridden with anyone else since October and only a single 40 miler once a week since.
How fit can I get over the next 6 weeks if I pull out all the stops. I have access to a smart trainer.
Its an open ended question, but I'm hoping for inspiration and similar anecdotes from other cyclists who've experienced a huge slide in ability only to rise again fairly quickly. Until recently I was shopping ( and worrying) for my 82 year old Mum. Its worn me out.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
Re: Low base fitness to something decent.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 07:16:14 am »
For clarification - are you saying that you can, as of today, ride 100km in 5 hours, or was that your level of fitness prior to lockdown?

(I was never that fast over 100km, and currently commuting to the local school is killing me - so I'm very interested in answers)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:11:08 am »
With a smart trainer and Zwift you could get a lot fitter in 6 weeks.  As for how fast you would then be able to cover 100km I could not say.  Zwift has a huge range of programmes although I just pick a ride and try to do it.

This link shows the rides they offer:

https://zwifthub.com/

Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 08:29:03 am »
Yes, that’s my current level of ability 100 km I’d cover in 5 hours . Some of it’s in my head.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:32:29 am »
Yes, that’s my current level of ability 100 km I’d cover in 5 hours . Some of it’s in my head.
Over what sort of terrain, hilly or flat?

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 08:53:28 am »
I hadn't turned a pedal since September before I signed up for Zwift on Boxing Day, and recorded an FTP of 246W at 77kg on 3/1/21.

I've ridden (only) 720 miles since then (so not a huge investment of time - fitted in around work, childcare, homeschooling and DIY), and my weight is down to 72kg, FTP up to 282W, and I've won a couple of 'B' category races.  My longest session has only been 2 hours - most around 45 mins.  I still feel that I'm improving hand-over-fist.

If your current fitness level is low (particularly if you know it can be higher), and you can draw motivation from seeing it rise, you'll be bound to get much fitter and stronger.  If you make use of the social aspect of Zwift, that can make the experience hugely more enjoyable.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 10:56:54 am »
Some of us aspire to being as quick as 5 hours for a 100km ride.  If you need to build fitness without being away from your mum then a rowing machine is a useful surrogate, particularly if you wind up the difficulty and try to shorten the push part so you are putting as much power through your legs as you can muster.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:59:27 am »
Andy no one can answer that question. It’s individual.  You can but get on your smart trainer and see how you get on. If it’s audax you are aiming at, then 100km in 5 hours is more than quick enough already.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 11:56:23 am »
Zwift Build Me Up 12 week programme.
Brutal schedule that really pushes your fitness levels.

The other programme Ive been using of late and would recommend for fitness are the Taxc films. Ive found them great for focussing on climbing and more inspirational than Alpe D'Zwift as the footage is so nice. I did the Raid. Pyrenees series and am randomly picking others  depending on what scenery I fancy riding in and how much climbing I want to do.  You can always set yourself intervals on the climbs to vary the training focus, or set a power target for the whole climb.
There are other films if your smart trainer is a different model, but I have no experience of them.
often lost.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 02:59:07 pm »
Thanks everyone.  That pace is over rolling countryside.  North herts, North Essex. Not flat like most of Cambridgeshire.  Certainly not hilly as in the Pennines. I recently did two ftp  tests, a 20 minute one and a ramp test , a week apart.  225 ftp and 83 kg. 75 kg is my usual weight so will focus on that. Fess up time, I ate too much don't know why. Tv or laptop for zwift?

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 08:01:34 pm »
TV.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

LMT

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 11:18:01 pm »
Either or, I connect my laptop to my tv via a hdmi cable when running Zwift.

Plenty of videos out there on Youtube for plans to get fitness back based on 5-10 hours of riding a week. You may want to increase this depending on feel, bearing in mind that recovery is the most important thing when it comes to adaptations. Be careful not to over reach early on.