Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250251 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #475 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:14:48 am »
And as if by magic http://bit.ly/2j2gutQ - versions of some plans are now available with the long rides replaced by shorter sweet spot alternatives.

Now this is really attractive to me - I have a 2hr endurance scheduled for tomorrow, but it will mean a really hectic morning - looking on TP, I can get the same TSS from SST and save 40 minutes.

« Reply #476 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:53:00 am »
Surely the endurance is training a different aspect of your fitness (I hate that word, it's so woolly as to be almost meaningless) than the sweet spot training?

None Few of us regular audaxers need much in the way of endurance training mind. Not that I'm a regular audaxer at the moment. 4 months off (and counting) that first 100km is going to hurt.

simonp

« Reply #477 on: 26 January, 2017, 11:05:53 am »
SS is supposedly giving a little bit of everything. Not all plans will have long rides replaced by SST. For instance not the century speciality plan.

I'd switch the SS version in if time is limited and/or weather doesn't allow an outdoor ride. I can't see myself doing 3h endurance inside.

simonp

« Reply #478 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:12:37 pm »
Just had a look at the revised SS High Volume II.

Scared.

Chris S

« Reply #479 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:26:49 pm »
First proper turbo session since New Year lurgy.

Ebbetts.

Ouch.

That's all I have to say about that.

simonp

« Reply #480 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »

Ebbetts.

Ouch.

It's not the sprints that are the problem, it's the following seconds trying to keep going at near threshold intensity.

Chris S

« Reply #481 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »

Ebbetts.

Ouch.

It's not the sprints that are the problem, it's the following seconds trying to keep going at near threshold intensity.

Damn right. I couldn't have done a fifth set - which is of course, the point.

rob

« Reply #482 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:20:50 pm »
Where do you all stand on recovery rides ?

I have 1 full day off a week, but just spun my legs for 5 mins after putting race bike back on the turbo.   I was wondering if spinning on a low resistance for 30 mins would help.

« Reply #483 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:34:57 pm »
I am no expert but I do find a low low intensity spin just help stretch things out. I also try to do my stretches for a decent length of time. E.g. 3 minutes.

« Reply #484 on: 30 January, 2017, 11:28:32 am »
I'm wondering if I'm getting something wrong with how I'm using TrainerRoad.

I've been doing Sweet Spot Base High Volume I with my FTP set correctly and it just feels like it's using up a lot of time for workouts that feel (and are) less strenuous than my commute.

If I've been doing a 200K audax every other week plus commuting and club rides would it make more sense to just switch over to the Sustained Power Build.

I get that it's done on TSS and that if I do Sweet Spot Base High Volume I, I should be hitting 522 TSS/week (not that I ever do the 3 hour weekend on the trainer) and Sustained Power Build High Volume is 463 Tss/week so they should be roughly equivalent. It just doesn't feel like that.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #485 on: 30 January, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »
did a 20min ftp test today, which resulted the ftp of 274w, which is what i would expect for this time of year. i could have perhaps pushed it to 280w if i nailed it, but definitely not more than that.

« Reply #486 on: 30 January, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
Nice.

« Reply #487 on: 31 January, 2017, 09:21:21 am »

I have 1 full day off a week, but just spun my legs for 5 mins after putting race bike back on the turbo.   I was wondering if spinning on a low resistance for 30 mins would help.

I do 45m of 120w at 100rpm. My legs def feel better/looser straight after and the next day compared to rest.

rob

« Reply #488 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:58:03 pm »

I do 45m of 120w at 100rpm. My legs def feel better/looser straight after and the next day compared to rest.

Ta.  Will give that a go. 

I have been steadily upping the resistance on the turbo since starting my programme and have been warming down by slowly reducing cadence.   Tonight, though, I turned the resistance down to 1 and span out at a higher cadence for a while.

First new session for a while tonight.  Under/overs with varying interval times and intensities.   Started out a bit optimistically and paid for it at the end.   Little light headed now.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #489 on: 05 February, 2017, 05:57:54 pm »
had to do a session of 5 x 10min at 240-260w and couldn't complete the last two due to lack of energy and overheating. excuses - did not have any breakfast, went to a spinning class for a warm-up (took it easy), then did a session on a wattbike in a gym, which is great, however there are no fans in front of wattbikes and i got way too hot when doing intervals.
i will either talk to the gym about installing fans (which i think is unlikely) or i will have to continue training at home..

rob

« Reply #490 on: 06 February, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »
Found yesterday's 4hr ride pretty hard.   RPE was fine, ave speed higher than it has been for the same bike and roads all Winter.   Couldn't old my HR in zone at all.

May have been the cold or could be fatigue.   I do seem to feel the cold a lot more at my current weight.

A few more days of commuting and a couple of turbo sessions this week then off work for the week and away with the family for a few days.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #491 on: 06 February, 2017, 06:31:58 pm »
I have been experimenting with recovery rides, no ride rest days and 3-4 day consecutive interval sessions. Basically I find no statistical difference in my performance based on power output or HR. A two day enforced complete rest did however make a big difference to performance, which was surprising. That was my first two day rest of the year but I have a 12 day business trip coming up and I will aim to do one HIIT session every three days assuming the hotels on those days have gyms.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #492 on: 06 February, 2017, 10:40:38 pm »
had to do a session of 5 x 10min at 240-260w and couldn't complete the last two due to lack of energy and overheating. excuses - did not have any breakfast, went to a spinning class for a warm-up (took it easy), then did a session on a wattbike in a gym, which is great, however there are no fans in front of wattbikes and i got way too hot when doing intervals.
i will either talk to the gym about installing fans (which i think is unlikely) or i will have to continue training at home..

Fans help me a lot at Wattbike.  I'll be into the "red zone" by the end of the warm-up without fans to cool me down.  It's excess body heat that has me struggling to finish a session more than legs/lungs.

Tonight's main effort was 10 minutes in Zone 5 at 60 rpm and then 10 minutes in Zone 5 at 90 rpm.  As we move through the program the recovery time is spent more and more in Zone 3 than in the actual recovery zone.  I know I'm improving because my heart rate is comeing down even in Zone 3 now.  When I started Wattbike Zone 3 for any length of time was an achievement in itself.

I have a 20 minute FTP re-test in 2 weeks.  I'm already getting nervous.  Anyone who's been though it will understand.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #493 on: 07 February, 2017, 02:57:24 pm »

I have a 20 minute FTP re-test in 2 weeks.  I'm already getting nervous.  Anyone who's been though it will understand.

always good fun (type 2)!

simonp

« Reply #494 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:08:11 pm »
Been run down for the last week or so and failed to complete any workouts. Both that I did try I stopped before half way.

Feeling back to normal today. May try something later.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #495 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »

always good fun (type 2)!

Possibly Type 2 fun, but it would be against at least one convention to actually force people to do it.

I'd describe as:

2 minutes of "This isn't going to be that bad"
2 minutes of "This may be worse than I originally thought"
5 minutes of "I'm really never going to get to the end of this..I'm not even half way and I think my heart is going to burst"
8 hours (actually minutes) of "F-fecks' sake this is hurting .. why are these minutes taking so long?"
2 minutes of "grunt..sob...Owwwww...Mummy..help me...sob..Owwww...I'm definitely going to quit now"
1 minute of "I can't hear anything any more...should I walk towards that beautiful white light or away from it?"

..then 5 minutes of slumping over the bars whilst the instructor shouts something about keep spinning those legs..lactic acid..blah blah.

...then 5 minutes of mopping the bike and floor.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #496 on: 08 February, 2017, 04:58:48 pm »
I've had back trouble and last nights 'big gear' strength efforts were awful, so I gave up.

I've a horrible feeling I'm still completely buggered from Saturday's 100km- I'm sleeping badly and my HR is way higher than I would expect on RPE.

31st March is in or out date and I'm almost half way there, and not feeling very 'in'.

rob

« Reply #497 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »
My motivation has come and gone but it's the last 3 days of this build then an easy week.   This is keeping me going.   Week off work next week as well.

« Reply #498 on: 12 February, 2017, 10:51:19 am »
A 670TSS week just in Zwift. I am 'king glad that's over.

« Reply #499 on: 12 February, 2017, 12:44:30 pm »
Away for the weekend in snowy Aberdeen and I pull my calf muscle just walking!  Aaaargh. Getting middle aged is so annoying.

I was really looking forward to the next few weeks of build and 5 days in Tenerife with bike.