Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134510 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2019
« Reply #650 on: 04 November, 2019, 09:55:56 am »
How do the acknowledgements arrive? Have put an entry in this week (so likely not processed yet) but I've not tried entering BCM before so not familiar with the process.

« Reply #651 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
Organiser(s) deal with the entries in batches. If you posted your entry in the last week, they'll probably wait till they've reached the entry limit (suspect this month sooner or later) and then send out a message to everyone whose entries they've accepted.
First batch acknowledged on 7 Oct (60 places left).
Second batch acknowledged on 29 Oct (30 places left).

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« Reply #652 on: 04 November, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »
Ah, sorry I meant do the acknowledgements arrive by post or by email? Assuming the former as it was postal entry only, but due to an impending house move I was in two minds whether to put my current or future address on the SAE.

« Reply #653 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:37:16 pm »
Ah, sorry I meant do the acknowledgements arrive by post or by email? Assuming the former as it was postal entry only, but due to an impending house move I was in two minds whether to put my current or future address on the SAE.
Acknowledgement by e-mail. The single SAE (ETA: which is designed for the brevet's return, not to send back an entry acknowledgement slip) will not be used till June at the earliest (ime).

« Reply #654 on: 05 November, 2019, 07:42:16 am »
Great - thanks.

« Reply #655 on: 05 November, 2019, 11:47:39 am »
It's a well known minor and unimportant wrinkle in the AUK 'entry system' and only confuses (a few) people when they have to adopt an offline mode of entry. I really wouldn't worry - not your problem. It's a rather amusing 'reverse' of the "Oh goodness, how do you do this new 'computer-based' entry pallaver?" 20 years on.

Except that, it could be solved by allowing online entry.

*Hides*

« Reply #656 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:06:57 pm »
It's a well known minor and unimportant wrinkle in the AUK 'entry system' and only confuses (a few) people when they have to adopt an offline mode of entry. I really wouldn't worry - not your problem. It's a rather amusing 'reverse' of the "Oh goodness, how do you do this new 'computer-based' entry pallaver?" 20 years on.
Except that, it could be solved by allowing online entry.
*Hides*
How would you propose the organiser limits entry to AUK members only (or internationals on application), if they allowed online entry?

S2L

« Reply #657 on: 05 November, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »

How would you propose the organiser limits entry to AUK members only (or internationals on application), if they allowed online entry?

With the current entry system is not possible, but I am sure it wouldn't be a technological challenge beyond the scope of a quater of a million to introduce a function that only accepts existing memberships.
Internationals might be more of an issue, but how many riders are we talking about for BCM? Probably single digit that you can count with one hand... they could use postal entry

« Reply #658 on: 04 December, 2019, 04:41:30 pm »
Having not heard anything since I sent off my Cheque in late Oct, is it safe to assume I haven’t got a place? Cheque hasn’t been cashed as far as I can see. 🤷‍♂️

« Reply #659 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:06:11 pm »
Having not heard anything since I sent off my Cheque in late Oct, is it safe to assume I haven’t got a place? Cheque hasn’t been cashed as far as I can see. 🤷‍♂️
I think you are very likely to have got a place, Kev. Get training! The organiser completed dealing with the second batch of entries and acknowledged these on 29 Oct ("30 places left"). Likely your entry arrived in the post after this batch and the organiser will have waited a month hoping to get the final 30 entries before cashing cheques and acknowledging entries, rather than spending time doing that admin piecemeal.

« Reply #660 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:20:03 pm »

With the current entry system is not possible, but I am sure it wouldn't be a technological challenge beyond the scope of a quater of a million to introduce a function that only accepts existing memberships.
Internationals might be more of an issue, but how many riders are we talking about for BCM? Probably single digit that you can count with one hand... they could use postal entry

Make it clear in the description that AUK are favoured and any non AUK entries are entered onto the waiting list. Non AUK if unsuccessful are then given a full refund; no transaction fees are applied by paypal for a full refund.

« Reply #661 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:14:45 pm »
I assume your 'paid-up waiting list' mechanism for your 300 last month worked out then, Will.

S2L

« Reply #662 on: 05 December, 2019, 02:21:50 pm »

Make it clear in the description that AUK are favoured and any non AUK entries are entered onto the waiting list. Non AUK if unsuccessful are then given a full refund; no transaction fees are applied by paypal for a full refund.

How do you deal with the AUK site? You just modify them as DNE? Surely you don't want to pay 3 quid per rider if they are non-entries

« Reply #663 on: 05 December, 2019, 04:23:12 pm »
I assume your 'paid-up waiting list' mechanism for your 300 last month worked out then, Will.

Paid up waiting list works great. They are committing to ride as normal if a space becomes available so non of that tooing and froing trying to see if they are still interested, just send them the details.

How do you deal with the AUK site? You just modify them as DNE? Surely you don't want to pay 3 quid per rider if they are non-entries

Remove them and refund them. It's working with what you have got. In an ideal world there would be more options that the organiser can deploy.

« Reply #664 on: 30 December, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »
Hi, wondering if anyone is in the know, and can help? I have sent off SAE and cheque, cheque cashed, but not received any mail to confirm entry. Am I likely to have a place?
thread seems to suggest I would receive a mail if got a place.
Many thanks.  :)

S2L

« Reply #665 on: 30 December, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »
Hi, wondering if anyone is in the know, and can help? I have sent off SAE and cheque, cheque cashed, but not received any mail to confirm entry. Am I likely to have a place?
thread seems to suggest I would receive a mail if got a place.
Many thanks.  :)

If the cheque has been cashed, you are in. The organiser has to fill the entry list on the AUK website... When he inputs your membership number, then you should, upon uploading the BCM 2020 page, see a red writing on the top saying that you have entered said event.

Otherwise drop Ritchie a mail... I should have his address somewhere

« Reply #666 on: 30 December, 2019, 08:24:44 pm »
Ah! You are absolutely right. Many thanks.  :)

« Reply #667 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
Thought I'd paste a precised excerpt of the BCM organiser's postponement e-mail text (18 Mar) here.
"To avoid losing BCM altogether for 2020, we have booked the controls for 4 July as this is literally the only weekend before October that is available. Provided AUK’s restrictions come off before then, we will run BCM on the weekend of 4 and 5 July. If we can’t run a modest cycle event by July, I suspect we will all have a lot more to worry about than riding our bikes."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #668 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:13:25 am »
Provided AUK’s restrictions come off before then, we will run BCM on the weekend of 4 and 5 July.

I'd be surprised if the government restrictions have been fully lifted by then, but let's hope they are. Having ridden the northern loop of the BCM route while on holiday in N Wales last July, I'd suggest that doing the whole ride in July would be a much more pleasurable experience weather-wise than it has been each time I have ridden it in May. Silver linings and all that  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #669 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:18:45 am »
Provided AUK’s restrictions come off before then, we will run BCM on the weekend of 4 and 5 July.

I'd be surprised if the government restrictions have been fully lifted by then, but let's hope they are. Having ridden the northern loop of the BCM route while on holiday in N Wales last July, I'd suggest that doing the whole ride in July would be a much more pleasurable experience weather-wise than it has been each time I have ridden it in May. Silver linings and all that  :)

I've ridden BCM as a perm in July, it was lush.  Melting tarmac instead of rain :)

But I agree, unlikely to happen due to restrictions

Phil W

« Reply #670 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:18:50 am »
The question is whether anyone will still be fit enough by July. If it does run there could be more than the usual full value riders out there.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #671 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:41:45 pm »
The question is whether anyone will still be fit enough by July. If it does run there could be more than the usual full value riders out there.
Loss in power compensated for by weight reduction? Reckon I could give it a good attempt in July. I'll probably be lighter than at any time since before my children were born by then.
Less confident we will be able to ride events in July.

Olympics cancelled, Edinburgh festivals cancelled,  this suggests the authorities don't expect normal life to resume by August. 

Will be happy if we can.  Lejog will be tough with little training but still worth a go.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #672 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:06:31 pm »
Huge, complex multi-week events need ginormous forward planning. The primary forward planning/booking for an audax like the BCM (with manned controls) depends on site availability.
Ritchie has just planned ahead, in hope, and I applaud that. Company makes these iconic long rides more fun.
I guess it's quite likely that Permanents will be allowed before Calendars. If so, Blacksheep organises (administrates) the BCM Permanent (MR11) which "uses controls [drawn] from the very first event [the Welsh 600] up to the present day but its route is original in terms of the combination of controls used", as follows:
"From a Chepstow depart/arrivee: Usk, Rhayader, Borth, Barmouth, Caernarfon, Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Hay-on-Wye, Monmouth. The route can be ridden either direction."
My draft: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32249809?beta=false

S2L

« Reply #673 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:16:07 am »
Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt trying... controls can be cancelled and money recouped for sure.

In fairness, first weekend in July would be a good time to have the BCM... long days, warm weather, I could probably do it without lights and with a lot less stuff. Remove 2-3 kg of night clothes and paraphernalia from the bike and going up those climbs would be a lot nicer

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #674 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:14:20 am »
On a clear still night in July/August the temperature in those northern Welsh valleys will be in single digits.  Add that to a long descent when fatigued and you will still need some warm weather clothing.  And that's if it doesn't decide to rain...

If restrictions on permanents are lifted earlier - there are always the Cambrian Series permanents to build up some hilly miles before a longer event.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)