Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134041 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13775 on: 05 May, 2019, 09:57:30 am »
Made a start yesterday on sorting and cleaning the myriad of small parts that came with my in-boxes 72 Triumph Daytona.  Loads of 'em.  Many I recognise, some I don't so am consulting the parts book.  "Ah!  that's where it goes."  Inevitably, after being stored in bits for 37 years, there are rather more small parts in the parts book than there are in the boxes.  The search begins.....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13776 on: 06 May, 2019, 09:16:39 am »
Great quote from Henry Cole about the Newark auto jumble 'Like Birmingham but for people with no teeth...'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13777 on: 07 May, 2019, 01:29:40 pm »
ticking noise started appearing when riding out of saddle, so following my previous experience with the same sound in the same circumstances i've taken apart the steering assembly, cleaned and regreased all mating surfaces, reassembled - noise still there! traced it down to front skewer this time; tiny bit of grease got rid of the noise.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13778 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:24:01 pm »
Great quote from Henry Cole about the Newark auto jumble 'Like Birmingham but for people with no teeth...'
Not been to Newark AJ but went to Stafford last week and scored a NOS Lucas rh handlebar switch to match the original on the lh side of my Tiger's 'bars.  When I find a NOS front brake master cylinder the two will go together and that'll be another step back toward originality. I'll have to re-instate the indicators then as I'll have all the switches I need, and the loom still has all the indicator wiring.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13779 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:31:06 pm »
Not me fettled per se, but getting bits to a man (in a shed) who can.  I know when I'm at the limit of my nerves/expertise/tools.. Main bearings to come out of the 72 Daytona 'cases, cases and brand new cylinder head  to be vapour blasted, along with the new conrods (been sitting for 30 years in a damp garage), crankshaft to be cleaned up, and oil tank dent removed and welded up.  Camshafts to be removed and re-profiled, and re-fitted with new bushes.  Some of this needs special tools, some of it nerve and skill to avoid damaging the irreplaceable crank cases.

My fettling will now continue with stripping the frame so it and the rest of the black bits can go to the next door neighbour of the man-in-a-shed for powder coating.

Loads of fettling to do.  Once the Daytona bits are out of the door, I've got the timing on the Tiger to sort - hopefully that will cure the bottom end misfire.

All of the above is a substitute for recumbent fettling, as neither need any at the moment, oddly enough.  Even the wife's e-bike is behaving itself.

« Reply #13780 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »
... bottom end misfire.

You can get charcoal biscuits for that. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13781 on: 07 May, 2019, 08:09:27 pm »
I stopped a Southern Railway Class V from kangarooing along the track, with a drop of lube on the valve gear and coupling rods.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13782 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:05:41 pm »
New bar tape as mine had got chewed up when the wind blew my bike over on  Saturday.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13783 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:09:18 am »
... bottom end misfire.

Brita filters might work, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13784 on: 10 May, 2019, 11:20:42 am »
Sorted the bottom end misfire on the Tiger 750.  Spent an hour last night understanding the timing marks on the alternator rotor (on the end of the crank), and finding the timing notches on the flywheel (one at TDC and the other at 38 degrees BTDC), and checking these with a screwdriver down the plughole in No. 1 cylinder, and making sure that at 38 degrees BTDC the piston was 0.415" lower than it was at TDC, as it's supposed to be.  So that's all good.  Need to check all this because good old Triumph, in the dying days of our motorcycle industry, were apparently a bit inconsistent in what bits they fitted, some have 2 timing notches, some only one, and it could be either one.  Hence the need to check what you are seeing.

This morning, now it's stopped raining, rolled the bike outside, fired it up and let it warm up.  Checked the timing marks with my new strobe.  A bit out.  Turned the coil sensor plate in the timing one way a bit - worse.  Turned it the other way a bit. Spot on.

Rode around the block.  5 miles.  Bottom end misfire gone.  Much smoother too.  And all without charcoal biscuits or a Brita filter.  But thx for the suggestions.

And thanks to the internet for supplying loads of info on how to do the above.  35 years ago when I last timed a motorcycle engine, it was all done with a Haynes manual, and sometimes they were right, and sometimes they even showed you how to do it.  Sometimes.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #13785 on: 10 May, 2019, 10:53:42 pm »
Fed up with chain crud and useless chain lubricants alleged to work wonders so I'm experimenting with Paraffin wax chain lubrication.... (It has been shown to give the lowest drivetrain power loss and the cleanest kit)
Got a job lot of paraffin wax on t'internet and a nice little metal jug and plastic coated garden wire.
Took off my chain and washed it and cassette thoroughly with white spirit to clean and degrease it.
Melted wax in bottom oven in metal jug (we have an Aga - temp - 110C)
Plonked chain and Quicklinks in the hot wax (one end and the Quicklinks threaded onto garden wire to allow easy retrieval)
Put back in oven to stew to a few hours. Hung chain up above jug in garage from a hook to allow to drip and cool.
Beautiful clean and waxed chain - nice and stiff too and so very easy to thread through derailleur and re-attach Quicklinks. No grease or dirt so done with bare hands.
Turning the crank allows excess bits of wax to flake off.
Went out for a few rides. Chain quiet and shifts fine.
In the dry - the waxed chain seems to last pretty well; managed just under 500km of dry and occasionally dampish weather before cycling in a biblical deluge on Wednesday necessitated a re-wax. (According to some pundits, a wax can last 1000km - I suspect they must live in drier climes)
Rewaxing done today dead easy. Chain and cassette still spotless. Removed by hand with no dirt or residue on hands. Simply plonked chain back into the wax in the oven for a few hours, hung to cool and refitted.
I think I am hooked.
I may keep a couple of chains in rotation, with one ready waxed to go - removing and replacing the chain literally takes about a minute - the same time as it used to take to relube and wipe off the chain previously; not counting getting rid of the adherent crud. Plonking the chain in the wax, placing it in the oven and then hanging it up after cooking is a further 1-2 minutes maximum as well.

« Reply #13786 on: 11 May, 2019, 01:53:44 pm »
The internet connection of my Humax and Apple TV. Not sure how really - well I did a factory reset on the modem/router, and that seems to have done the trick. Odd really, the connection had been fine for, well, years, but then it suddenly failed, could connect to the router, but both showed no internet, even though there was - phones a tablet all good. Weird, but all's good (for now!). Just in case new modem/router ordered, this ones been on 24/7 for several year and the formerly white casing is looking distinctly yellow! Plus I'm going back to a Fritz!box as that give quite good stats of connection status. Oh, and a new TV with built-in wifi, meaning I can repurpose the powerline adaptor to the shed, as it's got a pass thru socket, whereas the current one is "blind", and the old TV can be my Zwift monitor in the shed  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13787 on: 12 May, 2019, 11:18:40 am »
Swapped bidon cages on my fixed to stop my calves rubbing one of them. Retaped the bars on my Moulton and fitted a front mudflap. Refitted the Rivet Pearl Pass saddle to my Frezoni.

Flint-mined the tyres of HK's Kinesis and diagnosed a leaking hydraulic lever. Looks like it needs a new olive and more oil in the next few days. New handlebar tape to be fitted afterwards.

Reassembled HK's Moulton after last weekend's trip. Replaced the front tyre and tube.

Adjusted the front and rear mechs on a friend's MTB.

Replaced a Keo cleat worn out by a fair amount of walking over/ around fallen trees during last weekend's Rando Imperator.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13788 on: 12 May, 2019, 03:44:16 pm »
The garden fence.
Replacing nine five-foot panels, which got progressively more and more difficult as we moved up the fence. The last one required the use of a plane and a rasp to make the panel just a little bit thinner.
At least they're not going to come out in a hurry.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #13789 on: 12 May, 2019, 04:29:50 pm »
... bottom end misfire.

Brita filters might work, too.

Not the Maxtra ones though.  :o  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #13790 on: 12 May, 2019, 05:44:31 pm »
I was over ambitious when I tried to fettle a neglected lawn. Now I need a new lawnmower :-)

« Reply #13791 on: 12 May, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »
I am now unfettling the old fence which is nearly as much physical effort and is going to take much longer.
I was over ambitious when I tried to fettle a neglected lawn. Now I need a new lawnmower :-)
Sympathies. I've got close to that a couple of times this summer already with my mower.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13792 on: 12 May, 2019, 06:00:58 pm »
After grubbing about in the floor last Saturday, when my brother tried to hoover up the entire life under the floor boards, I decided to clean the Dyson bin and cyclone as there was a lot of nasty fine looking dust in it. During this operation the bit of housing that the filter catch attaches to broke :(
Currently trying to order a new cyclone assembly.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13793 on: 12 May, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »
(yesterday) I fettled a walk to the street bike mechanics with a big spanner, who loosened the cassette lock-nut, and then I was able to fettle removal of crud from derailleur, new gears (with enough cogs to match the shifters, instead of one fewer) and a shiny new chain.

« Reply #13794 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:24:14 pm »
Finally got back to the stalled Domane build. Finally fitted the hydraulic lines to the levers, using the 9mm “flanged nut” (as opposed to the 8mm straight connector used up to the latest generation of group set) then filled and bled the systems (again, the latest levers need an adaptor to fit the latest levers  ::-)). Fitted the chainset and pedals, and the chain. Next job, set up the Di2.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13795 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:01:55 pm »
I switched the 90mm stem on my Merida to a 100mm one that used to live on my Hardtail. The original stem had been 110mm and felt too long, the 90mm was too short. the 100mm is just right  :smug:

Now I suppose I need to be wary of 3 bears showing up.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13796 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »
Today I defettled a dynamo headlight mounting bracket with a junior hacksaw. This took about 30 seconds, because it was made of le camembert noir, one of the less recommended but too frequently used engineering materials. It was definitely easier to do this than dismantle then rewire the lego block connector in order to get the wire out of the loop of the bracket. And why did I do this? See the second sentence. Replaced with a nice shiny metal bracket now. The curious thing is, while the load-bearing part of the previous bracket was plastic, the little cap which only serves to cover the wires for neatness is actually metal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13797 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:43:18 pm »
The curious thing is, while the load-bearing part of the previous bracket was plastic, the little cap which only serves to cover the wires for neatness is actually metal.

If that's the IQ-X bracket, then my guess is springiness.

Agreed about le camembert...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13798 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
Could be for springiness. Anyway, they make an agreeable tinkly sound when you drop them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13799 on: 14 May, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
No practical fettling, but workshop archaeology to rediscover the structure of a lathe bench I built in 30 years ago.  I appear to have used ordinary straight-slotted countersunk wood screws from the late Permian, driven in with either a late-70s B&D or a Stanley pump ratchet screwdriver...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight