Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 288982 times)

Came across this and wasn't really sure where to put it, so here will do.

It's certainly not an all time great great cover version. It doesn't really fit into the Coronavirus thread, and whilst the 2001 "original" (if you can describe as original for something that heavily samples a 1979 song) featured on my "cheesy disco to sing along to at 3am in the morning" audax playlist, it doesn't fit there either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXecuVl7_4

The interest is more the commentary on 2020, and empty venues, working up from small intimate clubs through the Apollo and on to the O2 - very bittersweet against an upbeat song.
 It is fluff, not high art or deep.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A bit of YouTube surfing led me to this rather magnificent Steely Dan live performance of Reelin’ In The Years. Too good not to share...

https://youtu.be/57MP5YcCABA
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
A bit of YouTube surfing led me to this rather magnificent Steely Dan live performance of Reelin’ In The Years. Too good not to share...

That's fabulous.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
 :thumbsup:

I shall place my order after I've had me tea.

Edit: I see there is to be a new release from Le Fly Pan Am too.  w00t!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Today I have discovered that My Bloody Valentine are no longer available on the usual online music services. Chiz. I've had to dig out my CD copy of Loveless and find a way of playing it...

However, in looking into this further, I have also discovered that all of King Crimson's studio albums are now available on Apple Music. Which they weren't last time I looked. This is splendid news.

ian

Mmm, you're right (other than Ecstacy), how odd. I'm partial to an occasional outbreak of 80s-era shoegazing.  Fortunately, I have Loveless ripped from CD. It's the same for the utterly splendid Curve.

I have no idea who or what King Crimson is, but it sounds ominously prog.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

That's fabulous.
The most enthusiastic performance with a tambourine in the entire history of music!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

Mmm, you're right (other than Ecstacy), how odd. I'm partial to an occasional outbreak of 80s-era shoegazing.  Fortunately, I have Loveless ripped from CD. It's the same for the utterly splendid Curve.

I love Curve. I especially love Toni Halliday. Met her in real life a few times. She’s soooo tiny.

I mentioned to my wife that I was listening to King Crimson. Her reply: “Oh god...”

citoyen

The most enthusiastic performance with a tambourine in the entire history of music!

M’colleague described it as “encapsulated essence of 70s”, citing the enthusiastic head-nodding and tambourine-playing.

ian

I love Curve. I especially love Toni Halliday. Met her in real life a few times. She’s soooo tiny.

I mentioned to my wife that I was listening to King Crimson. Her reply: “Oh god...”

Hmm, I checked, it's either bad drugs gone right or good drugs gone wrong. I'll stick with Curve. Toni Halliday always sounded awesomely big, I'll give her that.

For some reason, Apple Music has Döppelganger and Gift, but is missing the intervening Cuckoo and Come Clean and all the songs from those albums are missing from the latter compilation. Must be some licensing issue, either that or Apple are trying to eat my youth.

Fortunately, I have them all from the age of CD other than Döppelganger which I suspect, as I can't not have it, languishes in the box of 33 rpm splendour in the loft. I'm pretty sure I don't even have a turntable or anything to plug it into. I would play it loud right now, but the lady of the upper floor appears to be having a singing lesson. Or she's just belting what appears to be songs from My Fair Lady. I don't ask. Sometimes I don't want the answer.

M’colleague described it as “encapsulated essence of 70s”, citing the enthusiastic head-nodding and tambourine-playing.
I totally love Steely Dan, but that performance is just a bit rushed to my ears...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

I mentioned to my wife that I was listening to King Crimson. Her reply: “Oh good!”

You misheard.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

I mentioned to my wife that I was listening to King Crimson. Her reply: “Oh good!”

You misheard.

Does Mrs Pingu share this enthusiasm for Things Progdacious :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

I've never been sure what King Crimson are or were. Didn't there use to be a similarly named but totally different sounding band in the '80s?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
“Court Of The Crimson King” was released in 1969 and they’ve been at it off and on ever since, albeit that Robert Fripp has been the only constant member.

Cudzoziemiec

Yeah, I just googled them. So that's who Toyah married! I'm pleased to see he is described on one of Mr Google's findings as an "English psychedelic musician", which sounds so much more fun than "British prog rock guitarist".  :D

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

You misheard.

Does Mrs Pingu share this enthusiasm for Things Progdacious :demon:

After x years of exposure she's getting there*  :)

*I think she liked the King Crimson concert we went to before The Event.

ian

Blasting Curve now. Terrified by the fact it says early nineties on the ingredients. The soundtrack to my PhD, which it turned out, as was explained during my viva, was literally all about cleavage.

We’re watching Eddie Izzard’s “Force Majeure”. It brings to mind the performance of “A Day in the Life of Joe Egg” in which he starred in 2001. Blistering. One of those unforgettable things, like seeing Ballet Rambert’s “Ghost Dances” by chance on a rainy afternoon in Manchester.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When a French film has a French soundtrack and French subtitles only then why the bleeding hell must Netflux translate the titles into English?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

https://twitter.com/screenqueenz/status/1369385197653868544?s=21

If this doesn’t feature both Ian & Mr Larrington then there is something wrong with the world.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

From this

to this

Gotta think those men are posed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I hope they manage to lose the Transit van behind the bus in the second lot.  Tch!