Author Topic: Anyone missing Audax?  (Read 7574 times)

Re: Anyone missing Audax?
« Reply #50 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:45:38 pm »
Completed RRtY & SR which convinced me audax was more about self harm than fun.

Kind of agree with this.
In addition, I always struggled to shift any weight doing long distance cycling... something about getting back home and eating three times what I would normally, counteracting any benefit of exercise, let alone the bloating and indigestion caused by eating large masses of food. After 6-8 hours on the bike, I would easily eat 300-400 grams of pasta, which is 3-4 times the recommended amount, that on top of the number of chocolate bars, cake and sandwiches consumed during the ride itself.
I don't get the same riding shorter/harder... happy to get back and have a slice of toast and a cup of tea.

I don't think I am alone in this, as most randonneurs I see at events are overweight, some dangerously overweight.

BMI now steadily under 23  :thumbsup:

Opposite for me. I found it much easier to be in control of my weight when doing long distance riding. Sure I'd eat like a horse when I got back sometimes but it did wonders for my metabolism, the fitter I was the later on in the day my hunger would kick in, by which time I'd normally staved it off by eating a proper sized meal (instead of starting to eat when hungry and eating too much).

(I'm 20kg heavier than I was when I did LEL in 2009 which was also part of a 50 point season.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:53:02 pm »
Having ridden a billion already, I can manage a few months off; but I am missing the anticipation of fun upcoming trips :-( (this year they happened to be mainly Audax)

Very much missing group rides.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 30 March, 2020, 05:50:59 am »
I miss having rides that gave me a reason to push myself; I'm taking comfortable rides over shorter distances, which is the right thing safety-wise, but I miss the satisfaction of doing something more challenging and the stimulation of seeing somewhere new.

I have things pretty good all told - comfortable at home, with money in the bank, which is better than many can say - but yeah, I do miss it.

« Reply #53 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:06:44 pm »
I've discovered I can revisit some roads that I know from Audax events on Fulgaz. I've not tried it properly yet, but there are various Chilterns rides; I've just been up Britwell Hill much faster than I've ever done it in real life, on the one entitled Women's Tour of Britain :thumbsup:

S2L

« Reply #54 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:34:23 am »
I've just been up Britwell Hill much faster than I've ever done it in real life

Oh yes, plenty of people do the Alpe du Zwift under an hour... not many do the real Alpe in that time. There is also a way to cheat, you just have to tell your game that you weigh a lot less than you actually do and therefore for the same power output, it assumes you can go much faster... it's called weight doping...  ;D

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #55 on: 31 March, 2020, 11:12:54 am »
I did go through the wall planner and ceremonially remove all my events up to June the other day.  Quite cathartic, tbh.
Indeed - I used so much Tippex to cover the events and trips for this year that i ran out and had to order some more. Had all sorts of things planned.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #56 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:41:47 pm »
I've just been up Britwell Hill much faster than I've ever done it in real life

Oh yes, plenty of people do the Alpe du Zwift under an hour... not many do the real Alpe in that time. There is also a way to cheat, you just have to tell your game that you weigh a lot less than you actually do and therefore for the same power output, it assumes you can go much faster... it's called weight doping...  ;D

Oh this was just because that site plays the video at the pace of the rider who recorded it (I assume). I was watching, not pedalling at all.

« Reply #57 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:09:54 pm »
I'm missing the riding, the eating and all the new people I can meet along the way.

Going back to cycling alone is weird when you've gotten used to riding with friends and/or other audaxers.

« Reply #58 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:13:04 pm »
Im missing that contented feeling i get when I've finished a long hard day out. It will be even better when we can start again ..

« Reply #59 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:48:09 am »
It feels strange for me to have only done two Audax rides last month as I’ve been keeping three RRTYs for a few years now. I would have been stepping up the frequency, length and hilliness of my rides in preparation for Deano’s Highland Fling 1000, but that has been postponed. I had also entered the Crackpot and London Land’s End London 1000s and planned to ride the Mille Pennine again too, so was looking forward to the challenge of riding three tough 1000s on consecutive weekends.

It’s mostly having something to look forward to and prepare for that I’m missing so far as I’ve had gaps of up to five weeks without any cycling over the last autumn and winter period anyway. I do very little cycling apart from Audax rides which made my average bike ride over 200km last year. Since the lockdown I’ve only done one mile, on my daughter’s bike with a basket on the front, delivering groceries to my elderly parents. I have a turbo trainer set up in the garage, but haven’t been sufficiently motivated or bored enough to go on it yet.

« Reply #60 on: 01 April, 2020, 11:30:21 am »
I'm missing that they aren't available to enter as I was aiming to get back into it this year.  Didn't ride any last year and only one 200 in 2018.  With the current guidelines i'm using up my daily exercise walking the dog so limited to trying to get a bit of fitness ready on the turbo (which I find very boring).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #61 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:17:53 am »
Not at the moment.  I was lucky enough to get one in this year, shortly before the lockdown.  I was reflecting last year, after giving up on the 1000 du Sud and going touring that, after 15 years of SR series, the need to be at a certain place in a certain time was wearing thin, and might be distracting from the enjoyment of riding a bike.  So, in my particular circumstance, an enforced break might be a good thing.  It will be interesting to have a spring and early summer focused on my other interests - gardening, writing, and music, that normally get neglected at this time of year in pursuit of miles.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #62 on: 03 April, 2020, 01:03:55 pm »
I was also fortunate to have ridden an audax ( 200km helpers ride) just before the lockdown. I can identify with many of the posts above, and also miss the feeling of satisfaction after an event on returning home and enjoying a beer. On the other hand I have few, if any, audax targets left that seem to matter to me currently. I didn't start serious (i.e annual SR's and longer) audax riding until age 50, and managed 12 years in a row before not quite managing to finish a 600km in time last year. I'm also tiring of chasing control cut-offs, as apart from getting slower over the years ( I was never fast anyway..), now I'm retired there seems less reason to rush round trying to see more countryside in a shorter time, so was already cutting back on audax before the coronavirus crisis, and planning a return to touring. Having said that I believe its very difficult , unless forced by health reasons, etc, to actually give up audax once having become 'addicted' so to speak, so after the crisis I'll probably carry on as a helper and  struggling around some events trying to 'beat the clock.' During the crisis I have continued to try to maintain fitness by cycling outdoors for at least an hour a day, usually near to home and including hill repetitions, etc. I also have musical, gardening and other hobbies to pursue so keeping busy.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #63 on: 05 April, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
Missing the anticipation, the chat, the cake and spending all day outside.
Completed the route check for Another Slice of Rutland 3 weeks ago and not touched the bike again until yesterday to finally get round to cleaning it. Been on the turbo ever since looking across at it across the garage knowing I should apply some TLC.
Was looking forward to my first Easter Arrow next weekend followed by a family holiday. Hopefully we can get the team back together next year.
Bought a gravel bike in the autumn so that should get some local use now it has stopped raining. Have been studying local OS maps spotting bridal ways.
Signed up for BBC London ages ago but even if it goes ahead I doubt I will be fit enough to start.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #64 on: 05 April, 2020, 11:34:17 am »
Managed 13.5km around Buckingham in my ACME kit, no police to ask me where I had come from, might have confused them. Also got a similar distance done on Wednesday in my Team Mk kit, so I am there in spirit and look forward to the happier times we will share in the future. Already had a heart attack and skin cancer, this one might be third time unlucky so playing by the rules.

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #65 on: 05 April, 2020, 12:53:10 pm »
I don't miss Audax in theory.
Like everyone else I can summon up memories of grim suffering to convince myself I can live without all the downsides.
But in practice, looking out the window thinking I was supposed to be riding the Dorset Coast with good friends on this beautiful sunny day....
 :(