Author Topic: How much are you riding?  (Read 23894 times)

Re: How much are you riding?
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
I lost the urge to ride during Nov and Dec last year doing precisely 0 km, Jan saw me kicking my own arse into gear and I managed 1300km in the first 5 weeks partially made up with 4 200km DIYs. Second week in Feb saw me down with a bug feeling crap, lethargic and suffering ear and throat infections.

Mid March I started to ride again only for this shit storm to land, this has resulted in me doing a 50km loop every other day and about a 10km off road ride the other days, this on a new mountain bike, and boy is my arse letting me know about it after 20 years of riding recumbents.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
Jiber, you miss the pubs  ::-)

After 7 weeks off the bike, I am now riding the local 10 mile TT course on every bike I can find.  I am never far from home (don't even leave my offshore paradise) and even at my speed I am not out for very long.  Brompton or Elephant Bike tomorrow  :thumbsup:

You are probably right, I struggle unless I have a reason to ride now.  I actually went out on the Brompton this afternoon after all!  A tour around almost the circumference of Chelmsford city in order to post a birthday card for my sister.
Regards,

Joergen

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2020, 06:34:56 pm »
Short rides, mostly about 10 miles. But that's a lot more than I was doing in the winter. I'm using a stretch of off-road which is currently baked hard, but 6 weeks ago was muddy.

But then I never do audax so this is probably OT.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:37:09 pm »
Zero, and it'll probably stay that way until after lockdown.

Last ride was a commute home on Friday March 13th.

Daily exercise is taken up by either a family walk with wife and 10yo daughter or a run (where I end up meeting them in a park to do some other exercise). No turbo trainer (I live in a 1st floor flat, downstairs neighbour did give me an old school magnetic turbo he got from a house clearance but I've never set it up, don't even know if I've got an axle that'll work with it).

Given I want to lose 20kg I'd rather spend the little outdoors opportunity I get to get properly running fit and lose a big chunk of weight[1]. Getting back to cycling fitness will be a lot easier if I'm lighter, and there's nothing I can really do about swimming fitness (which weight loss won't help with). It'll also be a nice experiment to see just how far I drop down and how quickly I can come back up using the local spinning classes. The first day the local gym is open I'll go and do a ramp test just for shits and giggles.

I'm early 40s, plenty of time to get back into cycling and Audax.

1. An hour of running does much more for my weight loss than an hour of cycling.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

AJB

« Reply #29 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:45:19 pm »
Zero outdoor rides since self isolating, but am managing 1 to 2 hrs every other day on the indoor turbo. Its very boring but at least getting some exercise in.

Anton

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:08:51 pm »
Jiber, you miss the pubs  ::-)

After 7 weeks off the bike, I am now riding the local 10 mile TT course on every bike I can find.  I am never far from home (don't even leave my offshore paradise) and even at my speed I am not out for very long.  Brompton or Elephant Bike tomorrow  :thumbsup:

You are probably right, I struggle unless I have a reason to ride now.  I actually went out on the Brompton this afternoon after all!  A tour around almost the circumference of Chelmsford city in order to post a birthday card for my sister.

This is part of it, I think where shall I/we go, Pin mill, Andrewsfield, The Compasses etc? For breakfast, lunch or dinner? Of course they're all shut and so it's a local loop, gets a bit samey, what's the point?

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #31 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:30:06 am »
I'm doing zero outdoor rides at the moment, my last ride was a tour of a number of local shops/farms to locate some food at the peak of the panic buying craziness. Since then, I'm spending my daily outdoor exercise allowance going for a walk with my wife and young daughter, which is fun but not overly taxing given a 22 month old's speed/range  ;)

I've been doing a ride every 3 days on my smart trainer, using TrainerRoad, varying between longer steady intervals of 1.5 - 2h and 1 hour high intensity interval sessions, so I'm maintaining cycling fitness.

Having done a 200k every calendar month since getting into Audax in late 2014, it was getting to the point where some of the winter DIYs were becoming a means to keep this going, rather than something I was excited about doing (although I find that routing via a new GBG pub 2/3rd of the way through certainly helps with motivation). I'm hoping this enforced break will give me some renewed enthusiasm, and depending on when restrictions are lifted, I might look to fit in a 2020 SR, since I've done at least one a year since 2015.

« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:36:04 am »
Quite a lot and enjoying it  :thumbsup:

Jan 825km
Feb 522km (poor weather)
Mar 1100km
Apr 350km so far
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:00:41 pm »
My wife is in the extremely vulnerable category so I have not been out since 23rd March but I did invest in a Wahoo Kickr Core smart turbo trainer before they sold out around the world.

I'd never previously used a turbo trainer and never quite saw the point of them, unless there is snow and ice all over the place I've always togged up and got out on the bike.

But now that I can't get out I am enjoying the turbo trainer.

I've invested in The Sufferfest training software and I am currently working through an initial four week training schedule.

Most of the training rides are accompanied by immersive footage of real rides in France, Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands which I can watch on my iPad with suitable music on the soundtrack.

But before I started using The Sufferfest I did find pedalling for an hour whilst staring at my garage wall was definitely not stimulating.   

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #34 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »
Riding rollers and turbo about 170 virtual km and no outdoor rides since the lockdown started. Walking the dogs for about 1 hour every morning.

« Reply #35 on: 08 April, 2020, 01:49:40 pm »
I'm sticking to my 15-mile loop of north London (taking in Muswell Hill, Highgate Hill & Swain's Lane) every 2 days.  Managed a PB on Sunday thanks to lack of traffic!  It's not far but I treat it as a TT so pretty knackering.

Alternate days running in Highbury Fields (still open!).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #36 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:24:16 pm »
I did two 200km DIYs in March before the lockdown and have only done one mile on the road since, shopping for my elderly parents using my daughters bike with a basket on the front. Since then I’ve jogged into the village to get more training value out of my shopping trips.

I put my wife’s old Raleigh ladies bike on the turbo and she’s done three 25 minute sessions on it so far. I couldn’t stand going on it until I’d mended my old laptop so I could watch DVDs whilst pedalling. I've only had one turbo session so far, watching The Flying Scotsman for 1 hour 38 minutes, so quite long for a first go.

Davef

How much are you riding?
« Reply #37 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:38:57 pm »
I am doing 30-40km most days. Occasionally a bit further, doing about 300km a week. All just pootling though and a fair bit of bridleway. Have a bit of a paranoia about crashing. When our local hospital starts filling up I will change to running.

Sometimes swap in a run instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:21:59 pm »
I'm sticking to my 15-mile loop of north London (taking in Muswell Hill, Highgate Hill & Swain's Lane) every 2 days.  Managed a PB on Sunday thanks to lack of traffic!  It's not far but I treat it as a TT so pretty knackering.

The NHS guidance is that the exercise currently should only be of moderate intensity. They define moderate intensity as at a level where you can talk but not sing.

« Reply #39 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:27:26 pm »

The NHS guidance is that the exercise currently should only be of moderate intensity. They define moderate intensity as at a level where you can talk but not sing.

Really?  Hadn't seen that.  Got a reference?

« Reply #40 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:30:59 pm »
Just leaving Stony today on my hybrid with my daughter, and a bloke was coming in, panting so hard I wondered if he was gonna fall off. He hadn’t even reached the local TT finish line. What a muppet. We’re not supposed to be overdoing it.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Davef

« Reply #41 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »

Here is a summary https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11336868/exercise-protect-against-coronavirus/

I have not read it but skimming it seems a good overview.

The main reasons for avoiding high intensity exercise are SCA and immune system compromise. British cycling are also advising against it as crashes might occur.

« Reply #42 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »
Seems sensible.  Will ease off a bit.

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 08 April, 2020, 09:07:03 pm »

Here is a summary https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11336868/exercise-protect-against-coronavirus/

The main reasons for avoiding high intensity exercise are SCA and immune system compromise. British cycling are also advising against it as crashes might occur.

The marathon bit is disputed in that the reason you see a much higher rate of infection is the mass gathering in confined spaces. It’s not the distance or intensity leading to a higher infection rate but the mass gathering aspect. Lack of social distancing at work.

Here is an interesting article on exercise and immune function. There is a link scientific research paper as well for further reading.

https://www.podiumrunner.com/training/how-to-train-and-eat-to-boost-your-immunity-from-coronavirus/

Davef

« Reply #44 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:05:52 pm »

The marathon bit is disputed in that the reason you see a much higher rate of infection is the mass gathering in confined spaces. It’s not the distance or intensity leading to a higher infection rate but the mass gathering aspect. Lack of social distancing at work.

Here is an interesting article on exercise and immune function. There is a link scientific research paper as well for further reading.

https://www.podiumrunner.com/training/how-to-train-and-eat-to-boost-your-immunity-from-coronavirus/
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.00008.2007

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:15:42 pm »
Superseded and disputed by 2018 research.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2018.00648/full

It’s disputed so make your own choices, which I know you will be doing anyway.

Davef

« Reply #46 on: 08 April, 2020, 10:26:34 pm »
Superseded and disputed by 2018 research. It’s disputed so make your own choices, which I know you will be doing anyway.
The paper I linked to was not research as such, it was a summary of 50 or so peer reviewed research papers and I believe the consensus of current understanding. I would like to read 2018 paper you refer to. Do you have the author or a pubmed article number ?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #47 on: 08 April, 2020, 11:00:49 pm »

While I totally agree that we should not be overdoing it, as a matter of common sense, if you're going to state 'NHS guidance is..' you need to give an NHS reference. I haven't seen one. I do see some unsubstantiated excerpts from a tabloid newspaper of doubtful credibility, which I will not on principle take seriously. Honestly, we need better than that.

« Reply #48 on: 08 April, 2020, 11:28:51 pm »

While I totally agree that we should not be overdoing it, as a matter of common sense, if you're going to state 'NHS guidance is..' you need to give an NHS reference. I haven't seen one. I do see some unsubstantiated excerpts from a tabloid newspaper of doubtful credibility, which I will not on principle take seriously. Honestly, we need better than that.

Ah - hadn't spotted it was from the Sun!  I refuse to click the link for moral cleanliness reasons!

And this is DaveF who in another thread is doubting the veracity of advice on the BBC website.  Hilarious!

Davef

« Reply #49 on: 09 April, 2020, 06:17:15 am »

Ah - hadn't spotted it was from the Sun!  I refuse to click the link for moral cleanliness reasons!

And this is DaveF who in another thread is doubting the veracity of advice on the BBC website.  Hilarious!
I will try to find it on the nhs where I read it. It is not particularly search engine friendly.