General Category > On The Road

Traffic Light fu

(1/4) > >>

aidan.f:
Toured up to the Polmood Hut today, A701 Tweedsmuir there are temporary tls. I was waiting a few vehicles back for some time starting to think 'Something not quite right' Noticed the front vehicle was well back - about 20m, pedaled up, tapped on the window and suggested to the driver that he moved forward to ensure he had triggered the radar. ' I flashed my lights was the reply, 'it works on moving metal was mine*. As he pulled forward yes, the lights change! Probably coincidence but I got a  :thumbsup: had been through the tls a few times and so had some idea of the timings...
*'It is Doppler radar', I felt, would have taken too much explaining

Kim:
Never had good results explaining traffic light sensors to motorists (I favour "it's a metal detector buried in the road" for induction loops), but I do make the effort to explain to cyclists that the one at the University Southgate - which has a tediously long cycle - doesn't detect bikes, and they should move forward so there's room for a car to come up behind them and stop on the coil.  (My attempts at reporting that to the council have been thwarted by a lack of detail in the multiple-choice reporting a traffic lights fault form.)

Asterix, the former Gaul.:
I miss the French style lights, the ones that have a countdown function. You know they have registered your presence.

The Family Cyclist:
I'm pretty sure some lights do have sensors which are light triggered but as in the strobes on top of emergency vehicles type light and not possible to replicate by flashing headlights

aidan.f:
The Tweedsmuir temporary lights are both ends normally red, when I was inna car last week a steady approach could switch the lights without stopping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version