General Category > On The Road

Ministers to consult on doubling legal wattage of electric bike motors

(1/13) > >>

Afasoas:
Guardian article

--- Quote ---The Department for Transport will launch the consultation on Thursday, the Guardian understands, which will propose changing the maximum allowable power of an e-bike motor from 250w to 500w.

Another possible move would allow e-bikes to be powered by a throttle, like a motorbike. Currently, they must be pedalled for the electric motor to start working.

--- End quote ---

The cynic in me thinks that the DfT has no intention of enacting this, but is dredging it up to stoke anti-cycling sentiment as part of the ongoing culture war.
I've no experience of e-bikes so I can't possibly comment on whether or not it is wise to double the legal limit on power output. Although 500W seems like a lot. With that much power and a throttle, we're effectively talking about speed restricted electric mopeds?

DuncanM:
I don't get it.  250W is plenty for 99% of cyclists, and 15mph means that you still can't keep up with traffic. Feels to me like they are fixing the wrong one.

Regulator:

--- Quote from: Afasoas on 29 February, 2024, 10:20:44 am ---Guardian article

--- Quote ---The Department for Transport will launch the consultation on Thursday, the Guardian understands, which will propose changing the maximum allowable power of an e-bike motor from 250w to 500w.

Another possible move would allow e-bikes to be powered by a throttle, like a motorbike. Currently, they must be pedalled for the electric motor to start working.

--- End quote ---

The cynic in me thinks that the DfT has no intention of enacting this, but is dredging it up to stoke anti-cycling sentiment as part of the ongoing culture war.
I've no experience of e-bikes so I can't possibly comment on whether or not it is wise to double the legal limit on power output. Although 500W seems like a lot. With that much power and a throttle, we're effectively talking about speed restricted electric mopeds?

--- End quote ---

I agree with you somewhat, in that I think that's how it will be hanlded... although I know that some of the delivery services have been lobbying ministers - partly because their machines aren't currently legal (yes - we're looking at you Just Eat) and they're trying to get ahead of a potential law suit.

Afasoas:
I was thinking about electrically assisted cargo bikes. On the face of it, this more power sounds like a good idea for a laden cargo bike, but do we need to consider that heavier, electrically assisted (or in the case of a throttle, fully motorised) conveyances increase risk of serious injury to pedestrians and other vulnerable road users when it goes pear shaped  ???

I dunno. I'm probably overthinking.

Also, interesting this consultation is the result of lobbying by delivery services. It would be most unlike the Government of the day to do something as a sheer kindness.

peter simplex:

--- Quote from: Afasoas on 29 February, 2024, 10:36:05 am ---I was thinking about electrically assisted cargo bikes. On the face of it, this more power sounds like a good idea for a laden cargo bike, but do we need to consider that heavier, electrically assisted (or in the case of a throttle, fully motorised) conveyances increase risk of serious injury to pedestrians and other vulnerable road users when it goes pear shaped  ???

I dunno. I'm probably overthinking.

Also, interesting this consultation is the result of lobbying by delivery services. It would be most unlike the Government of the day to do something as a sheer kindness.

--- End quote ---

I dunno, perhaps you don't have to contend with fully laden Ocado delivery bikes going 20mph the wrong way down narrow cycle paths.  Just waiting for a serious injury or fatality...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version