Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191706 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #350 on: 11 October, 2012, 04:15:00 pm »
Sure is
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #351 on: 14 October, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »
Following a discussion on Thursday night (dry to start with, decidedly damp on the return leg) I have developed a cunning, but convoluted route to Maunby for this week.

Why Maunby? Well they are having a Jam session this Thursday, which usually proves to be good fun.

Why cunning and convoluted? Well from THoFC to Maunby is 5.5 miles.  there and back is only 11 miles, and not quite enough for a Thursday night ride, so we start by heading out to Brompton, cross the Darlington road, down Danby Whiske then onto Maunby.  total distance = 15.6 miles, then 5.5miles to return. Bish, bash, and indeed, bosh, job done :)

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=471301
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #352 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:31:31 pm »
I reckon that, barring catasrophes, I'm in for this week.  Advance notice though, I won't make a pubbe runne next week as I have Cubs on the Wednesday and on the Thursday (25/10) I'm meeting up with a mate who I haven't seen for ages - it was by far the easiest night for her childcare-wise for several weeks!

I seem to remember the jam session being fairly entertaining last time.  And the new menu at the Buck is looking really rather nice :D

tiermat

« Reply #353 on: 17 October, 2012, 07:11:30 am »
As it is I can't do next week anyways as I will be in Swindon :(

LindaG

« Reply #354 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
Night duty this week.  I'm out  :(

« Reply #355 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

Oh no! Is this your last pub run, then?

tiermat

« Reply #356 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:45:51 am »

Oh no! Is this your last pub run, then?

NO! NEVER! I am only in the shithole for one week then back to working out of Leeds (and hopefully from home)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #358 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »
In light of tonight's bit of a cock-up on the fully functioning limb articulations for me, I shall review in the morning and decide if I'm still able to come.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #359 on: 18 October, 2012, 04:50:20 pm »
Sorry guys, I'm out. Couple of miles to work and back was enough for me today. Fingers crossed it's ok foe tomorrow's slightly longer commute!

tiermat

« Reply #360 on: 18 October, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »
No problem, like Deano, you'll be missed, I'll have a beer for you! :)

tiermat

« Reply #361 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:30:56 am »
Well last night was WET!  It stayed fine all day, then came a downpour of biblical proportions just as we set off (the forecast was for the opposite, rain during the day and clearing up for evening, PAH! forecasters you suck!).  We elected to forego the long route to Maunby and just take the direct route.  We arrived looking like drowned rats!

Beer (Copper Dragon, natch) and food was consumed, then we decided to brave the elements once again, only to find it had stopped raining!  In the pub I, jokingly, said it would only stop for the time we were in the pub and then start again once we were outside.  Not quite, it waited until we were leaving the car park!  It was only a slight shower any way so we set off back home, the way we had come.  Back home by 22:00 (we hung around for a bit to seer the jam session but all we saw was them setting up so decided we didn't want to stay, that and they hadn't lit any of the fires so we couldn't dry our cold and sopping wet toes :( ).

All in all it was a good night, Mrs T discovered that her Night Vision jacket is waterproof and comfy on the bike, and discovered just what it is like riding through a monsoon :)

LindaG

« Reply #362 on: 19 October, 2012, 09:26:35 am »
Nice to know you're gradually easing her into the reality of the Thursday Night Pub Swim.

tiermat

« Reply #363 on: 19 October, 2012, 09:29:33 am »
:) Yes, it does seem to be a bit of a pattern forming though (if you can call it happening twice a pattern), we choose to go to Maunby, it rains, HEAVY!

tiermat

« Reply #364 on: 23 October, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »
As previously mentioned there isn't one this week (due to me being on the 5th circle of hell, otherwise known as Swindon), but there is one next week, 1/11/12.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #365 on: 23 October, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »
I'm afraid I'm out for next week too.  Hopefully back, weather etc permitting, the week after.

LindaG

« Reply #366 on: 31 October, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »
Is there still a pub run tomorrow?

tiermat

« Reply #367 on: 01 November, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
Sorry missed this, too much time working now :(

As discussed on txt, yes there is a run tonight.

LindaG

« Reply #368 on: 02 November, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »
And very good it was, too.  Me and tiermat set off into the nippy night under a fabulous moonlit sky, the big planets hanging, and had our first proper winter pub run of the season.  Beer was drunked, chips were et, and there was custard.  Home again, home again, jiggety jig as the hard white rain bounced off our heads and we chatted, giggled and wove over the roads on the direct-but-bumpy route back to THoFC.  The moon was hiding behind the big full clouds on the home run, but the orange sky was reflected in the roads in appropriately orangey fashion.  My batteries ran out on the run out but we changed them, and the driver of a big Audi stopped to check we were OK, which was a first.  Plenty puddles, plenty mud, grand it was.

tiermat

« Reply #369 on: 02 November, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »
Aye, grand it was, it was definitely one of those nights that reminds you just why you do these kind of things, one of those nights that those who haven't experienced it don't quite get.

For the first time in weeks I went to bed tired and happy, and I slept like a log.

Can we have more, many more like that, please, but maybe without the rain and the bitter cold wind :D

tiermat

« Reply #370 on: 05 November, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »
Who's up for it this week then?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #371 on: 05 November, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »
AFAIK I can, assuming I don't fall off any more flat surfaces and damage anything else in the meantime.  I'll have to fix the flat on the bike before then anyway because I'll need to get to work....

CrinklyLion

« Reply #372 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:19:51 am »
I hear rumours of a Darlo possible.... is that the definite plan? If so I'll have to book a ticket/bike space so will need to schedule a station visit at some point!

tiermat

« Reply #373 on: 06 November, 2012, 08:46:40 am »
Sorry, yes, Darlo ride this week :)

I SHALL book tickets....

tiermat

« Reply #374 on: 06 November, 2012, 08:48:44 am »
Realisticly I will not be able to get the train until 18:46 which gets in at 18:57, so only a little later than we would normally set off.