Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 192210 times)

LindaG

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #400 on: 16 November, 2012, 08:06:43 am »
Wish I could've been there T.

Didn't know MrsT had an ostrich.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #401 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:45:37 am »
Yes, an Ostrich, an Owl, think she might be aiming for her own sanctuary...

Now onto more pressing matters, who is up for next week? I am on WFH Weds and Thursday so can do both York and NTR...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #402 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:51:23 am »
I'm out, sorry.  Going to a lecture on Wednesday and work on Thursday.

tiermat

« Reply #403 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:55:54 am »
I'm out, sorry.  Going to a lecture on Wednesday and work on Thursday.

:'(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #404 on: 16 November, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
Busy on Wednesday, but can come out to play on bikes on Thursday :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #405 on: 19 November, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »
Do we have an idea of a destination?  I'm really rubbish at riding m'bike at the mo.  Well, a bit rubbish generally, so need to make a sensibly informed choice...

LindaG

« Reply #406 on: 19 November, 2012, 08:04:50 pm »
Silly me.  I can come out on Thursday.  I just don't know how to read my diary  :D

« Reply #407 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:06:47 pm »
Probably. Scorton?

If not too far for Cl, obviously.

Otherwise, Bullamoor?

tiermat

« Reply #408 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »
I was actually thinking of the other direction, in light of the current forecast for Thursday, i.e. high (11 m/s) winds from the South, so head to Thirsk, which has 2 advantages:

1) It's right next to the station so any arm/knee/hip issues and CL can just jump on a train to get home
2) the return journey to NTR will take about 5 nanoseconds!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #409 on: 19 November, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
I was actually thinking of the other direction, in light of the current forecast for Thursday, i.e. high (11 m/s) winds from the South, so head to Thirsk, which has 2 advantages:

1) It's right next to the station so any arm/knee/hip issues and CL can just jump on a train to get home there
2) the return journey to NTR will take about 5 nanoseconds!

Hmmmm......

« Reply #410 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:07:40 am »
I vote against Thirsk. I'm not getting back from there till after midnight, however you look at it.

tiermat

« Reply #411 on: 20 November, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »
OK, no problem, shall PM you.

tiermat

« Reply #412 on: 21 November, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »
OK, had a txt conversation with CL and we seem to have a lack of decision making ability amongst the group of us :)

So, on that basis, I shall grasp the bull by the horns and say Scorton.

From my viewpoint I have only done shortish rides recently and it's starting to get a little wearing just doing <10 miles (total) to get beer and chips so would like to go further.  the last time we went to Thirsk was ~6 weeks ago (IIRC) and Scorton was the week after (again IIRC) so it's time for a longer one.

LindaG

« Reply #413 on: 21 November, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »
So how far is that AAMOI?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #414 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:12:59 am »
Too far for me, I reckon.  But as I said to Tiermat, it makes rather more sense to plan your bike rides based on the preferences and locations of the people who can actually ride a bike!

tiermat

« Reply #415 on: 23 November, 2012, 07:59:51 am »
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that was fun!  Not quite the normal thrusday night ride, but fun anyway.

To start with I received a text early in the day to say that the 3 that was planned was now down to 2, no bother I am still going out on the bike, come what may.

About 6 o'clock LG turns up, drinks coffee, chats, looks at lovely things on the internet then about 6:30 we head off, into wind and rain.

The rain soon stops and the wind is at our backs, so we cycle along into the night, chatting away.

A holiday for 2014 was planned (including bicycles, other family members and a ferry!).

We got to the pub, whereupon I realise I have a text from Crusty asking me if I was with LG and were we at the pub yet? LG had left her phone at home!  I replied and went in to drink Copper Dragon (obviously!) and eat F&C.  Whilst we waited for Crusty to turn up the staff came around to ask if we wanted to enter the quiz.  We thought about it a bout then agreed, why not?

So we entered a quiz, and came 3rd, IIRC, certainly top 5.

Tired and emotional(me), Crusty and LG kindly loaded my bike onto their car and drove me home.

A grand night, indeed!

LindaG

« Reply #416 on: 23 November, 2012, 10:13:53 am »
It really was absolutely brilliant.  I was at a friend's house in Brompton at 16.30, listening to the rain hammering against his windows, and he clearly thought we were absolutely nuts and declined my invitation to come and join us on the pub run.  It had taken me 6 minutes of freewheeling to get to his house from the station due to the gale force tailwind.  It rained as I rode to Tiermat's hofc, and I wondered if the run had been cancelled since I last looked at my phone. 

But, no.  A lovely natter with MrsT and a couple of TLD's soul-restoring gorgeous hugs, and we went out into the weather.  Or so we thought!  The rain stopped almost straight away, it was mild, and we were on bicycles.  It was a dark, dark night, and as the roads got more and more minor we were knee deep in chutney a lot of the time.  And there were some quite superb puddles.  The kind that wash your shoes every time you turn the pedals.  Yards long, some of 'em.  Excellent fun.

We came third in the pub quiz.  Had some more of the posse been there, we would definitely have won.  Your absence was felt.  You know who you are.  The cash prize has gone behind the bar, and you don't get the password unless you come on the next one.  And they're having a parmo night next Wednesday.  Just saying, like.

tiermat

« Reply #417 on: 27 November, 2012, 09:08:16 am »
Just to summarise what has been discussed via text, this weeks is on Wednesday, why Weds? Well The Farmers is having a 2-for-1 on Parmos and burgers.  What other reason do you need? :)

So usual format, different day, sorry York lot.  Enjoy your ride though.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #418 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
In my case I'd need to not still be at work ten minutes after the last train that gets to NTR on time.  Sorry, but I won't be there.

tiermat

« Reply #419 on: 29 November, 2012, 07:59:02 am »
Due to the unmissable offer of two-for-one on Parmos and burgers at The Farmers, we changed the day of the ride, for one week only, to a Wednesday.

Boy, am I glad we did.

We followed the same route as last week, only there was more moonlight (a gorgeous night with the moon irregularly peeping out from behind clouds on the way there), same amount of puddles and chutney on the roads.  As we arrived at the pub I realised I had picked up a puncture in my front.  LG and Deano disappeared into the bar and I set about removing my front wheel, with the intention of sitting in the bar to swap the tube.  The wind was bitterly cold outside, so after getting the wheel out I went inside to warm a bit and to have a drink.  I thought it only polite to ask if it was ok if I brought the wheel in, the conversation going like this:
Me: "I have an odd question to ask"
Barman: "There are no odd questions"
Me: "You haven't heard it yet"
Barman: "Go on then"
Me: <quick overview of what I want to do and why>
Barman: ...
Barman: "Is it very dirty?"
Me: "No, and I'll get some paper towels out of the loos to give it a wipe down before I bring it in"
Barman: (still a bit non-plussed) "No problem then."
Me: "told you it was an odd question!"

The rest of the evening was spent eating Parmos (very very nice ones, I had a chicken one with chili cheese topping, LG had a Pork one with blue cheese and Deano had the Classic).  We also ordered a burger for crusty but he didn't turn up until nearly 10 so had to take it home to eat later :)

Just after 10 we said our goodbyes, me riding back to Morthallerton, Deano, Crusty and LG heading back in the car.  LG and Deano missed a treat, the cloud cover had all but gone, the roads were so quiet it was unbelieveable and the scenery was just gorgeous!

LindaG

« Reply #420 on: 29 November, 2012, 10:15:07 am »
It was a nice bike ride. Very cold last night but you soon warm up. And a huge amount of food - it's not often I leave chips on my plate. Specially on a BOGOF meal deal. Crusty's buffalo burger looked nommy. It suited me to change the day - I'm working tonight. Result all round.

tiermat

« Reply #421 on: 29 November, 2012, 10:17:43 am »
I forgot to say, I returned via Shark Lane!

Looking at my bike this morning, apart from it being filthy, there is ANOTHER thorn in the front tyre!  Luckily this time is went in at the very edge of the tread so, presumably didn't get anywhere near the tube or went into the sidewall, IYSWIM

« Reply #422 on: 29 November, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
The ride was good, the moonrise and its reflection in the flooded, silv'ry Wiske were spectacular.

Parmos weren't bad, either :P

tiermat

« Reply #423 on: 03 December, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »
This week's ride is tentative at the moment, shall take a decision on Wednesday as the roads have been suicidal the last few days.  Apparently, according to yr.no the weather is due to improve, but I shall still wait and see.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #424 on: 03 December, 2012, 06:02:04 pm »
Realistically there is absolutely no chance of me making it out to NTR this week.  I haven't actually left the house for three days!