Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191165 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #450 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:03:41 am »
I enjoyed that! Although it was a grotty night, and both Deano and myself were feeling a bit under the weather, we decided a trip to the pub was in order.  Specifically we decided that we should go to Maunby, to check out what the new owners have done to the place (answer is not a lot), what the new menu is like (answer is pretty much the same as before, with a few changes*) and do they still sell Copper Dragon (answer is yes, they do!)

So a few beers were consumed, chips ordered and eaten (as well as a steak sandwich for me), then we rode back to Romanby to have a pint in the Lion before Deano needed to get his train home.

A short night, but a good one and perfect for making up for me missing the Xmas do.

*This is really going to affect whether we choose to go there, but they DON'T DO VEGETARIAN CHIPS!!!!  At least, though, they are open about it, unlike The Station where a mushroom quiche turns out to be ham and mushroom!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #451 on: 23 December, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
The beef dripping chips were good, though. The best veggie alternative they offered was new potatoes or mash.

You know, if we'd thought about it for half a second, we probably wouldn't have taken the Irish motorway back from Maunby. The water was well over a foot deep, and it was squelch squelch for the rest of the night.

I'm glad we did, though :D

LindaG

« Reply #452 on: 23 December, 2012, 11:41:44 pm »
Oh, stop it.  Some of us were at work y'know.   ::-)

tiermat

« Reply #453 on: 05 January, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »
Looks like a mild week, so anyone up for a Scorton trip? The wind is due to stay as a Northerly, so Scorton makes sense.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #454 on: 05 January, 2013, 05:44:38 pm »
If it fits in with work then yes. Could do with a social night.

« Reply #455 on: 05 January, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »
I was going to suggest a Darlo run - Scorton works too, though.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #456 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
I think I'm pretty unlikely.  It's too cold and dark, I STILL have a lurgy and haven't actually ridden my bike since.... possibly the Christmas ride to Naburn?  I think evening rides just don't work for me at this time of year.  *wants to hibernate*

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #457 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
Tiermat - you know I don't come along because I organise a competing 'Beer & Theology' event every Thursday not far from the "Northallerton and Environs" socio-economic geography.  I'd like you to know that I keep clicking on "Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride" thinking - "Ooh that sounds like fun!"  swiftly followed by... "d'oh".

You know that toytown is not that far from NTA and that you'd be most welcome to cycle over here for a pint and brain-ache any time you like.

:) /shyumu
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

tiermat

« Reply #458 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:20:15 pm »
Tiermat - you know I don't come along because I organise a competing 'Beer & Theology' event every Thursday not far from the "Northallerton and Environs" socio-economic geography.  I'd like you to know that I keep clicking on "Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride" thinking - "Ooh that sounds like fun!"  swiftly followed by... "d'oh".

You know that toytown is not that far from NTA and that you'd be most welcome to cycle over here for a pint and brain-ache any time you like.

Now that is an interesting invite, but are you really really sure you could cope with my take on Theology and the world around us? :)

shyumu

« Reply #459 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:16:17 pm »

Now that is an interesting invite, but are you really really sure you could cope with my take on Theology and the world around us? :)

Yup.  Are you sure you could cope with mine? oooh choice of icon... I know...   :demon:

tiermat

« Reply #460 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »
Anyone fancy a pootle out this Thursday? Weather due to improve by then, not that there has been much ice.

tiermat

« Reply #461 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »
As discussed with Deano and others at the weekend, there is a ride this week, on Thursday, start from Darlo station.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #462 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:45:33 pm »
I'm not up to riding at the mo really, especially not on ice.  Do you have a destination in mind though?  Very outlying possibility of an appearance sans velo....

« Reply #463 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:21:05 pm »
I was thinking of Preston on Skerne, as the Blacksmith's Arms has a good rep for food and beer.

It's possible to get a train to Aycliffe, as Preston is near to Aycliffe. And it's about 8 miles back to Darlo station, maybe 9 if we take the back roads (additional hills and bridges) to avoid the big scary roundabouts.

« Reply #464 on: 28 January, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
This is the pub, by the way, and Thursday is Curry Night! £6.75 per person, including a drink.

http://www.blacksmithsarms-pls.co.uk/index.php/thursday-curry

It's an auspicious name for a boozer - I think it'll be the third Blacksmith's Arms we've patronised.

Note to self: call pub to find out when they stop serving food.

My planned route to the pub is something like This. There is some potential for gentle COR, though there's one bit which nearly always floods. I might check it out one night this week.

(There are actually two or three cracking off road routes from Darlo to Aycliffe, but as Patches Lane, Catkill Lane (I'm not making that name up, btw) and the loosely-connected paths and bridleways behind Beaumont Hill tend to be quagmires in all except the driest of summers, we'll give those a miss)

Coming back to Darlo, it's a relatively simple 9 miles back down the A167. We can take the detour through Brafferton to add some hills and bridges, and to avoid the scary roundabouts at Aycliffe Industrial Estate, and at the A1-A167 junction. The sightlines at the sliproads coming off the A1 are appalling at that roundabout.

There's also a longer route back through Great Stainton, if we have time and the inclination. We could also head to the pub that way, I suppose, but those roads are horrible rat runs for large parts of the day.

So, anyone except me and Tiermat? I'm working on crusty (and LG by proxy).

And what time are we meeting?

The meeting place, as is usual for Darlo rides, is the Victoria Road entrance at Darlington Bank Top Station (just underneath the station clock, and through the subway from the platforms).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #465 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
My visiting mate's timings don't quite work out for us to pitch up in a motor for curry.  Not to worry - have fun!

« Reply #466 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:20:54 am »
Right. Shall we say 6.30 at Darlo Station?

tiermat

« Reply #467 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:51:55 am »
Sounds like a plan, any change and I shall text you.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #468 on: 29 January, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »
I'll want to get back to York, but might join you at the station and hand out some bike lights.  I'll be coming from Middlesbrough and riding looks like a better option than training, so what's the best way between the two?  The A66 looks like somewhere even Bunburys might fear to pedal, so can locals recommend any improvements on this as a route?

« Reply #469 on: 29 January, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »
Cool!

Bunbury, that'd be alright, if a bit fiddly. For the last bit into Darlo, there's a bike path alongside the A66, which saves you from having to divert down to the A67.

Personally, I'd follow LG's commute, along Low Lane into Yarm, then along the A67, which brings you in at the station. You only need to remember two roads!

LindaG

« Reply #470 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:01:01 pm »
Okay we're in. Probly on MTBs.

shyumu

« Reply #471 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:22:30 am »
Cool!

Bunbury, that'd be alright, if a bit fiddly. For the last bit into Darlo, there's a bike path alongside the A66, which saves you from having to divert down to the A67.

Personally, I'd follow LG's commute, along Low Lane into Yarm, then along the A67, which brings you in at the station. You only need to remember two roads!

I agree with Deano, except for avoiding the bit of Low Lane which passes under the bridge.  If you are in a rush... the A67.  If you have time, this would be more prettier-more

LindaG

« Reply #472 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:23:00 am »
Cool!

I agree with Deano, except for avoiding the bit of Low Lane which passes under the bridge.  If you are in a rush... the A67.  If you have time, this would be more prettier-more

Nah.  Ladgate Lane/Low Lane is fine.  That's the route I tried out yesterday Bunbury, lots of cyclists use it.  The A67's a bit of a pig mind, I don't really like it, but Crusty uses it when he's commuting.

« Reply #473 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:58:38 pm »
Okay we're in. Probly on MTBs.

I hadn't planned that much off-road! about two miles, probably. I'll check the path past the dairy tonight, but I expect it to be impassable.

I can add more, if there's the demand...

tiermat

« Reply #474 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:01:26 pm »
Just to be completely contrary (like that is unusual for me! :) ) I am seriously thinking of doing it fixed...