Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191944 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #650 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »
I'll be on the 17.35 train. See you all there.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #651 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
I'll be on the 17.35 train. See you all there.

DO NOT FALL ASLEEP!!!

No, you will not be allowed to forget that! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #652 on: 29 March, 2013, 10:54:30 am »
After an early finish from work yesterday I took the scenic route from Darlington to Northallerton, and for once got there in good time to start the pub ride. 

It was still blinkin' cold but dry and with a hint of sun.  As we left Northallerton there was a beautiful sunset but I'd have had to take my gloves off to photograph it, so I didn't bother.

It was just me, Tiermat and Deano after LG discovered at the last minute that she had to work, although she did come to the pub later, just in time to have some fajitas.

I didn't like the Farmers Arms in Scorton the first time I went, because they served me Diet Coke out of a bottle, and it was flat.  The others seem to like it because they do Copper Dragon, although as of last night, they don't anymore.  It's been replaced with IPA, whatever the hell that is.

The last few times we've been, we've been attending the pub quiz, and doing quite well.  We've even got a team name (The Red Light Jumpers).  Last time we finished 2nd and the time before that 4th I think.  We're usually miles ahead of some of the teams, but a little way behind one team in particular, although there is about 7 of them, and they're much older than us, so at an advantage for a lot of the questions.

Different people set the quiz each time, and to be honest I don't usually contribute much, because a lot of the questions are about stuff I don't know.  Often LG, Deano and Tiermat supply the majority of answers and I just thrown the odd one in there.

Then last night, the quiz must have been set by someone who is about on the same level as me, because there were loads of movie questions and questions about things that were on TV between 1974 and 1989.  Usually the questions seem to be about Thomas Hardy novels, or gemstones, or types of wildflowers, but last night it was all Cagney and Lacey, Alias Smith and Jones and the Sweeney.  There was also an entire section on westerns, which I was surprisingly good at (well, there wasn't much else to do on Sundays in the 70s).

Anyway, I wasn't that great because we only finished 4th.  I thought they'd made a mistake with the maths and I was going to ask for a recount to take us into second place, but then I found out they take a point off your overall score for each team member.  So our score of 79 and a half had been reduced to 76 and a half.  Luckily they didn't knock a point off for LG, but then she did arrive late.

It was just as well the compere, who was surprisingly drunker on the recorded segments than on the live bits, explained the rules to us before we left, because I was getting worried we were being sidelined by the locals for being too good.  In fact, they don't seem to mind too much a regular invasion of cyclists from out of town.  I expect our money is as good as anyone else's. 

Another thing about the quiz is, it goes on for absolutely hours.  There's about 27 rounds and even a round to do during the break from the other rounds.  But even so, it was a good night.  And we all had fajitas, except for Tiermat, who had fish.

The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

« Reply #653 on: 01 April, 2013, 08:27:45 am »
In 2 weeks time we will have been doing these rides for 2 years!

Unfortunately,  I will be in Catalonia then, so shall do celebratory rides this week and next.

The Buck? The long way round, maybe.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #654 on: 02 April, 2013, 02:24:29 pm »
On my own then?

Deafening silence on this front for this week (I know CL is on holibobs, but the rest of you have no excuse :) )

« Reply #655 on: 02 April, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »
I'm always out on a Thursday. Extra daylight, too.

tiermat

« Reply #656 on: 02 April, 2013, 03:42:32 pm »
I have a plan, which may involve a disused railway bridge, going past a pub (GASP!) and some COR!

Shall reccee tomorrow.

« Reply #657 on: 02 April, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »
You should probably alert the river police in advance.

« Reply #658 on: 02 April, 2013, 06:03:49 pm »
Hmm, a Thursday when I'm free. Tempted, but not sure about the COR bit (I currently have two functional bikes, both of which have 25c tyres!).

« Reply #659 on: 02 April, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »
It'll be reet.

Might be best to see if Phil survives the route first, mind.

tiermat

« Reply #660 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
To be fair, from googlemaps it sppears to be only a short stretch of cor.

« Reply #661 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »
Is this the bit in question?

tiermat

« Reply #662 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:44:13 pm »
Have you been watching what I have been doing on the computer today? :)

« Reply #663 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
I mentioned it to you last year!

Yes.

tiermat

« Reply #664 on: 02 April, 2013, 08:01:06 pm »
I mentioned it to you last year!

Yes.

:)

LindaG

« Reply #665 on: 03 April, 2013, 01:23:51 am »
COR? Best leave Josette at home then. She is too pretty to be besmirched with northern chutney.

« Reply #666 on: 03 April, 2013, 07:03:39 am »
Aw, I wanted to see her too...

tiermat

« Reply #667 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
I have been and had a look and it's not as bad as it sounds.  You cross a field, through some trees and over a disused railway bridge.  Once over the bridge you pick up a farm road which takes you down to a proper road then onto Pickhill.  A run down through Ainderby Quernhow and on to Sandhutton sees you back on the road to NTR.  I am thinking either Nags Head at Pickhill or Kings Arms at Sandhutton as the pub stop, neither of which we have visited before.  If time permits we may stop for a quick beer at Maunby.

LindaG

« Reply #668 on: 03 April, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
You know what? The outward leg this week should be in daylight! I really hope my chest is better by Thursday!

« Reply #669 on: 04 April, 2013, 08:34:36 am »
It's a lovely day, so a ride sounds like a good idea. Trains permitting, I'll be there (on a mildly inappropriate bike).

tiermat

« Reply #670 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:05:59 am »
Well, I enjoyed that.

Lovely company (as always), brilliant weather (on the outward leg), COR in abundant quality, if not quantity (only about 500M long, but what a 500M it was :) ) AND the wrong pub!

The plan was to ride from NTR, via Maunby to Pickhill then on to Sandhutton.

As a group (myself, Deano and Phanta) we made it to Pickhill, where upon I said "time for a quick one before we get to Sandhutton?" BIG mistake.

We walked into the pub, which is lovely (Nags Head), and into the even lovelier Tap Room, where they had a fire going and very chatty barman (the landlord).

We ordered beer and looked at the menu.  We decided, after talking it backwards and forwards, that it would be a good idea to stop there for food.  Deano had the biggest, thickest burger in the world, I had half a whale plus chips and Phanta had a spinach Dahl.  All the food was declared to be lovely.

Then LG joined us, having been to Sandhutton, asked the bar maid if a group of strange cyclists had turned up, then looked at her phone upon which she had a text telling her we were at Pickhill, not Sandhutton.  All was soon forgiven, though, I think.  Especially after the lovely bowl of chips and the fantastic cheeseboard that was consumed :)

About 21:30 we decided that, really, myself and Phanta should head off so that she could get her train.  As soon as we turned onto the A167 we hit a headwind, which reduced my moving speed to below 2 figures, so at Sandhutton (see it crops up again) I caught up with Phanta and said "we need to pick up the speed or you will miss your train" at which point she shot off like a scalded cat.  I watched her taillight disappear off into the distance and pootled back on my own.

Bits of that may sound a bit negative, but it isn't meant to be, it was a great night.

And we saw the cutest ickle lambs :)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #671 on: 05 April, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »
Good bridge, good pub, pleasant ride, stilly a bit chilly, mind.

The lambs were were cute:

And on the ride to Northallerton, there were some good big skies and some very enticing off-road..

tiermat

« Reply #672 on: 07 April, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »
Who is in for this week?

Short/long/onroad/offroad?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #673 on: 07 April, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »
I'm off gigging I'm afraid...

LindaG

« Reply #674 on: 07 April, 2013, 01:20:50 pm »
Me too.  And crusty.